Rumour: 3DS set for December launch

Tuesday, 22nd June 2010 14:01 GMT By Joe Anderson

3ds4

3DS could be set for a December launch, in a move to emulate that of the Wii.

According to a CVG informant, Nintendo will start to market the device towards the end of October, with limited stock arriving in stores just before Christmas.

“Early indications to us are that the launch is going to emulate Wii in December,” said the source. “We’ve been informed that Nintendo wanted a long run-up to Christmas, but now it’s going to be a close-run thing. We’re not expecting a lot of stock before next year.”

CVG did contact Nintendo and was told, “Any dates currently being discussed are pure rumour and speculation as we have not confirmed any specific dates publicly.”

Nintendo announced 3DS at E3 last week, re-confirming the handheld will launch before the end of its financial year on March 31.

1. spiderLAW

I’d like to see a 2nd week of November release.
    If it goes into December then i am going to have to wait until January to pick one up.

2. Blerk

Nooooooooo! The kids will want one and they’ll be expensive and impossible to get hold of! Curse you, Nintendo!

3. JonFE

That would mean my son’s (yeah, right!) Christmas present settled then…

4. StolenGlory

I’ll try and be first in line methinks. If some snotty nosed little kid tries to push in front of me /punt.

5. Erthazus

Perfect gift. But… Interesting if there will be games at launch? Because i don’t want to buy JUST handheld to look at it and make photo of my genitalia.

But yeah, i will probably buy one at launch.

6. Tomo

I remember getting my Wii on 9th December whichever year it was. Dayum I was excited. And now it’s sitting under my mum’s telly gathering dust and cat furballs.

And still I want one of this. It’d be right after my birthday, so the perfect excuse to shell out for one.

7. Bringit

More lies from CVG?

8. polygem

they will probably try everything they can to launch it just before christmas. it´s obviously the best time in the year for gaming hardware…i hope they will. i´ll buy one for sure.

9. fanpages

If the December launch date is for the UK market, maybe the decision to release this year was to avoid the rise in VAT (to 20%) from 4 January 2011.

BFN,

fp.

10. onlineatron

Will buy two at launch, one for using, one for extorting eager ‘eBayers’.

(that’s provided my meagre student rations allow for such a devious plan).