Microsoft to release Xbox Live Family Pack in November

Tuesday, 22nd June 2010 18:34 GMT By Joe Anderson

xboxlivelogo

Microsoft has unveiled a new Xbox Live Gold membership for families, allowing up to four users to be Gold members at once.

Available for $99, the annual Xbox Live Gold Family Pack allows up to four Gold memberships to be controlled by the primary account, giving the main user the ability to distribute points and monitor online activity.

The family pack also includes a Family Center option for the dashboard which offers simplified billing, exclusive family content and discounts.

Microsoft’s to launch the new option in November, the same month Kinect hits retail.

Thanks, Major Nelson.

1. Spaced Oddity

Oh, Microsoft. Why don’t you stop buttfucking your fanbase and just let everyone have free multiplayer?

2. Phoenixblight

Will never happen. They make a profit off it and people pay for it. Why make it free if people are willing to pay for it?

3. Spaced Oddity

I understand that it is a business. Microsoft are making a killing from it, especially since it’s P2P with very little work on their end, so it’s practically all profit. Just a shame, really, they can’t throw a bone once in awhile while seeking alternative sources for income. No fanservice whatsoever. Again, it’s just business.

4. ybfelix

Make love not business!

5. AbracadaverAK

I’m quite to happy to pay for it, to be honest. It’s a small amount to pay for a service that’s constantly reliable and fast. At least in my experience anyway.

This looks like a great deal as well.

6. OlderGamer

Ok all I can say is it about time.

I own 4 xbox360s and 3 of those are on LIVE w/Gold. If this does what I am thinking it does it will mean that I can save about 100usd/year if I have all four w/Gold.

Now what I really want is the ability to play DLC across all systems. I had to buy the DLC for Civ Rev 3X. And as it is, I can only use one system w/RB and GH because they are so DLC heavy.

Not every house has just one system. I know more then a few homes that have multiple systems and have had to create multi Gold Live accounts. Going forward this generation and the next, this is a much needed step.

Alot more needs to be done in fine tuning these type of services. But this is not so out there. Look at Apple. I have 4 iPods linked to one master account. Why should my games be any different?

7. mojo

“Just for the record I would have the same problem if I owned 4 PS3/Wii lest in terms of sharing dlc and such.”

Noz exactly.
    on playstation u can use dlcs (and complete psn games) on up to 5 activated consoles. U could even start a once bought game on ur 4 ps3s at the same time and play online together with ur famaly. all legal. it sais it everytime u buy something from the store.

i dont have it at hand, but if u want, i can even provide u with a statement by, i think it was jack tretton, who said it (or some similar high sony exec)

8. OlderGamer

I didn’t know that.

I only own one PS3, so it isn’t an option for me. But good to know.

9. Holesome

What I do for mult-360′s to share DLC and Games is to keep my gamertag on a USB, login on one console with my account and a second account, start the game, then logout of my account. I can then go back and play the same single purchased game with my kids on separate 360s. This works as many 360s as you want.

You can also buy the DLC on one console that is going to run an offline or online gamertag (not the one that purchased). This console can always play all the DLC offline. Then I get to use all my DLC on my own 360 as I’m always logged in and can share it at the same time.

10. Joe_Gamer

@4 that’s awesome

This is why MS doesn’t support pc gaming anymore, rubes paying to play with their friends, funny how everything on live is free on PC, lol

11. Blerk

It’s still a complete rip-off how Gold is tied to a gamertag in this case. Surely if a ‘family’ has four members but only one 360 they could do something to tie the Gold account to that specific machine so that any of them could play? Given that only one person can play at a time, expecting them all to fork out for a sub is pretty bloody miserly.