Kotick: Only 30% of Activision profits from console games

Tuesday, 22nd June 2010 12:22 GMT By Joe Anderson

bobbykotick2

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has said that only 30 percent of the company’s profits come from console games.

Speaking in an interview with the Wall Street Journal, Kotick said that he isn’t too concerned about the decline in retail sales because his company’s profits mostly come from non-console based services.

“I care a lot less,” he said. “It used to be, I would religiously look at weekly retail sell-through data, but it’s a very small part of our business now.

“Today, probably 70 percent of our operating profit comes from non-console-based video games. So, while you might see a month-to-month change or volatility against expectations, that doesn’t really get us too concerned.”

Gamasutra confirmed with Activision the meaning of “non-console-based video games” as it felt it could cover downloadable content such as map packs; however the company replied saying that “non-console-based video games” means just that.

One of the main sources of income for Activision is that of World of Warcraft, which currently has 11.5 million active subscribers.

1. Gheritt White

“Today, probably 70 percent of our operating profit comes from WoW.”

There, fixed that for ya.

2. dirigiblebill

I wonder how representative this is of third party profits across the board. Can’t imagine EA showing off the same percentages, somehow (though in fairness, the elephant in the room here is the iPhone).

3. Erthazus

Yeah, WOW is something.

100 million dollars in one month is just crazy.

4. hiddendarksdopel

‚ÄúToday, probably 70 percent of our operating profit comes from Blizzard.”

5. itwa5me

Oh poor him, hey guy why don’t you take my atm card then.. would that make it better?

Not enough money?

How about if we in our spare time did some of your office work for you?

No not enough?

How about if I let you ride me like a animal, that enough?

Do you really have to fuck me in the ass, to play this game?

So I need to pay you while you fuck me in the ass, just so I can play the new call of duty?

If drug dealers felt the same way as this asshole they’d all sell crack and say fuck it to the soft stuff. I mean there are countless books and movies on the subject of the fact that WoW is a psychological trap. It itself being a virtual Skinner’s box. But to be trapped in that box you need to give your ATM CARD to this cocksucker.

I never thought there would be a day where me, a white, young and well payed american CAN NOT afford to play a damn video game.

Why?

Because it never stops for these guys. They make 100 million on a game, which is crazier then shit, but then ALL games have to make 100 million, and if they don’t sell it then they need to find ways to.

Whether its EA and their freakin bogus illegal “online passes” or the senior douchebag at activision BRAGGING that “I’d MAKE call of duty subscription based TODAY!”

These ” financial geniuses” are single handedly KILLING the industry and turning their once loyal fan base against them.

I think EVERYONE should just STEAL activisions games instead.

Do it while you still can so you can, its the only way to break it off in their asses.

6. ianbenoir

shut up! shut up! shut up!!!!

7. S0meRand0mN00b

go to hell selfish cunt

8. theevilaires

how is he selfish….greedy yes. Look up his history and you’ll be amazed how far he came in 20 years….and 20 years my friends can go very quick very good if you’re smart with your money. If your 20 now start thinking smart now.

9. itwa5me

Yeah I don’t care how far he’s gotten, shit I was a portfolio manager for a portfolio worth 1.2B, thats billion. Now read my crazy comments, would you want me in charge of your pension? How about 32 pensions?

But I did just that.

And to be honest I didnt even have a HS diploma let alone a series 7 licence.

So I’m sorry as far as any corporate office job goes, its fucking easy! You just need to be sharp and a bullshitter. Before you know it you’ll be senior director, or CEO of activision.

My point is, so what?

Just so you can brag about how you would rip everyone off in the wall street journal.

By the by theevilaires……money is one big illusion for slavery anyways. The more you believe in money, the bigger the slave you are.

10. Grimrita

The margins from PC games have always been greater than console titles, yet publishers keep telling themselves that the PC market is dead.

How can it be dead when a dull game like WoW has 11.5 million MONTHLY subs? Not one single console title can claim that crown with free online players, let alone pay to play