Tue, Jun 22, 2010 | 12:05 BST
Fischer: Nintendo not under pressure to offer Wii price cut
Speaking to VG247 at E3, Nintendo Europe marketing boss Laurent Fischer has said the firm won’t bow to pressure to cut Wii’s price this year.
Asked if we’d see any price-cutting from Nintendo in 2010, based on expected cuts from Sony and Microsoft, Fischer replied:
“Actually, we now have a very good proposal for the consumer… It’s an ongoing trend on price activity from the very beginning from our competitors, and we have not moved so much on their moves.”
The marketing head said the aim with this round of Nintendo hardware has always been to remain cheapest.
“Whether we’re talking about the handheld side or the console side, we’ve been, from the very beginning, always trying to have the best market price.
“[Sony and Microsoft] had to change their price, of course, as they started at a very high point, but that’s not our case. The starting point is something that differs very much, and put us in a different situation.”
Nintendo’s last Wii price cut took place in September ’09. Since then, the company has been happy to continue at the current price point; and now we know why.
You can read all of out Nintendo conference coverage from E3 here.