Lewis: Xbox 360 only halfway through its life-cycle

Monday, 21st June 2010 12:30 GMT By Joe Anderson

chrislewis

European Microsoft executive Chris Lewis has said that E3′a combination of a new slimmer, quieter Xbox 360 and Kinect will extend the machine’s life-cycle by five years .

“I think 2010 will be a very big year for us,” said Lewis, speaking to Gamesindustry in LA last week.

“It is, in many ways for us, mid-lifecycle. With this new, sleek design and Kinect for Xbox 360 we’ve got at least another five years of this generation, where we continue to offer great experiences for people.

“We continue to attach more games than competitive platforms and we have the healthiest ecosystem, with 25 million people connected through Xbox Live.

“We are uniquely placed to continue to do really, really well in this business and enjoy ongoing momentum.”

As you’d expect from Microsoft, Lewis said that the company’s sales targets were aggressive.

“I can’t be explicit about the numbers but I can say our market share has grown,” he said.

“Our business ambition for this financial year, which begins on July 1, is certainly bigger than last year and we constantly set ourselves ambitious targets.

“Don Mattrick is not shy about aggressive targets for Europe because he now knows we’ve got the right assets, now more than ever, to really appeal to our audience.”

Kinect and the 360 Slim summed up Microsoft’s new hardware for the foreseeable future at E3 this year, with Nintendo showing 3DS and Sony focusing on PlayStation Move.

You can read our round up of the E3 conferences here.

1. mington

i want a new console christmas 2012

2. polygem

hmmm. another 5 years is a long long time. i just hope we wont only see a lot of new casual games coming – turning the 360 into a wii hd. 5 years seems too long for me for the 360 to deal with improving graphics for AAA HC game titles. i really hope ms is not so stupid to let sony slowly keep dominating in the hc sector, because the ps3 probably has the better tech specs for upcoming hc titles in the next few years. 360 should reach it´s limits soon. some say it already has – well i don´t think so(rage is an example)- but some day soon it will be the case i guess. but i´m not a developer so maybe i´m wrong and the 360 will be able to keep up with the ps3 during it´s whole life circle just like the system did untill now- if thats the case ms really delivered a pure masterpiece – harware structure wise. that said – i was hoping for a “real” new console christmas 2012 as well though…

3. Blerk

I’m sure Microsoft mean this in much the same way as Sony do when they talk about a ‘ten year cycle’ – that the hardware will be supported for ten years, but that doesn’t prevent them from launching a replacement earlier than that.

2012 seems like a reasonable point for their next machine to debut, perhaps this time they don’t intend to cut the old one dead as soon as the new one appears.

4. cookiejar

I think if this motion stuff fails ( I think Move and Kinect will do alright, but nothing on the scale of Wii) then they will be onto a new console right away. I’m sure next gen consoles are already in the pipeline, but they may push it on faster.

5. spiderLAW

I want to see Xbox Next in 2012. PS4 in 2014

6. mington

whats the chances of upgradeable consoles? graphics card that attach and detach like the 360 harddrive, and Games the run at different specs. Or is that all a bit to complicated.

7. freedoms_stain

@6, probably running Windows 8 Xbox edition.

8. The Hindle

Sheesh the next gen how is that going to pan out, what can be done that hasnt already been done? Personally i want something like Total recall where you are in the game that would be awesome :D

9. G1GAHURTZ

@6:

That’s basically a PC.

Would probably ruin the ‘everything works, plug and play’ appeal of console gaming, too.

10. G1GAHURTZ

Next gen, I want to be able to download EVERYTHING, day 1.

Or pre-download before release even, like with Steam, and play the game immediately after release.

I don’t care for boxes and hard copies.

Oh, and if someone can come up with some kind of minimal lag, server technology, I’m sold.

11. theevilaires

1. redesigned console-Check
    2. Camera based games-Check
    3. 10 year life cycle-Check
    4. very original company-Blank

…anyone seeing the picture I’m seeing. What’s next? Blu-Ray add-on! :D

12. mington

test

13. Demiath

Although both Xbox and PS3 are starting to show their age and technical limitations, I kinda like the idea of having them around for at least 2-3 more years. For one thing, going ahead I really want to see developers in all genres make real improvements across the board in terms of gameplay mechanics (as pretty as a game like RDR undeniably was, it felt like a 5 year old title in many ways), and such advances don’t require more polygons or advanced anti-aliasing to get off the ground…

14. manamana

@3 So right. They prob. go the PS2 way. From a gamecompanys perspective, it’s just that they have the knowledge/engines/routine of getting the games out on the consoles, without having to try and error so much like five years ago, witch results in more profit.

And as Demiath suggested: gameplay mechanics and ideas are the key. The technology is still fine and can go on for two years, imo.

15. Joe_Gamer

YAY 5 more years of mediocre graphics, overpriced accessories, and paying to play with friends.

Anybody want to buy an xbox?

16. OlderGamer

What G1GA said. I guess that is why I use Steam more and more.

@Hindle

“Sheesh the next gen how is that going to pan out, what can be done that hasnt already been done?”

Welcome to my jaded world.

In the end reask is right. We will prolly see prototype shots/talk next E3/TGS and the systems should be 24 months or less from there. The current gen should keep selling a few years beyond that.

And Mington – I don’t think anyone is really thinking about expansion systems. Most of the past systems had expansion built into them. But most of the time we saw an addon it failed. So I doubt that we will see much in that direction.

But turthfuly, I wouldn’t expect the new systems to be miles apart from the current ones. In fact I expect them to all be 100% BC, because basicly it will be like the Wii all over again(two Gamecubes duct taped together). I just mean I expect the next gen to be very similar as this gen graphicly and what not.

No clue what selling features they will have. Be it 3D, motion/cam controls, cloud, or what. The more I think about it, the better steam looks.