Pachter: One million PlayStation Plus subscribers this year

Sunday, 20th June 2010 18:15 GMT By Joe Anderson

playstationlplus

Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter predicts that Sony’s PlayStation Plus service could be a big hit, although he adds that it’s the people who pay that will seen most benefits.

Speaking on the latest episode of Bonus Round, Pachter revealed that he expects any new improvements to the service to be exclusive to PlayStation Plus members.

“I think that every enhancement to Playstation Network going forward is going to be for Playstation Plus so they’re always going to give you basic online gameplay,” he said.

“I think when they start adding tournaments and new types of achievement systems it’s going to be for Playstation Plus members only and they’ll get a very slow migration over to the $50 a year (£39.99 in the UK).”

Pachter added he believes the service will prove to be very successful, with Sony gaining one million subscribers over the next year.

“I think Playstation Plus will work,” he said. “You’ll get one million subscribers this year, two million next year, three million the next year and it’ll just slowly build.”

Playstation Plus launches on June 29.

Thanks, Gamerzines

1. mathare92

As long as whatever’s free right now remains free, I’m happy.

2. Nico23

yh i think this time he might just be right.

3. reask

You know this deal is pretty good considering MS charge me 60 a year for zilch.
    Not to sure what the free games will be but even if there’s one or two I reckon I will go for it.
    I mean I have no probs with the 360 fees so why not this.

4. reask

And before any one says it I know you can get deals for less than the 60 a year but if I go to my dashboard that is the price.

5. onlineatron

I’m all for PSN+ as long as it doesn’t create a Gold – Silver style divide amongst the community.

I’d hate if Sony were to restrict every demo from free customers for a week ala LIVE.

6. Blerk

I still can’t quite work out why anyone would want to bother with this.

7. mojo

Soyn should in teh fiorst place look after the stability of their services.
    I mean do they realy expect, that i pay for something, which a atm experience as “slow as fuck”.
    Rent a movie from the movie store und cant think any other than “Never im gonna pay for this shit”

8. DrDamn

I think the first couple of months of PSN+ will have some great games and deals – sweeteners to entice people in. Whether that keeps up is another matter.

9. Aimless

There would be a really easy way to entice people to sign up for Plus: have it so your registered PlayStation hardware is under full warranty for the duration of the subscription.

I’m not saying that’s necessarily the right decision on Sony’s part economically speaking, but it would certainly pique my interest.

10. cookiejar

@9 That would be good. Also thought of another one. With rumors of a PSP2, if and when it surfaces, and if the thing has maybe a 3G chip inside it, have the network charges for that included in the PS+ Sub. That would be great.

@5 I think PS+ IS the ‘gold’ version of PSN. Im pretty sure all future PSN upgrades will be through this.