Heavy Rain DLC put on indefinite hold

Saturday, 19th June 2010 14:48 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

heavyrain10

Quantic Dream has put the second bit of DLC for Heavy Rain, expected for quite some time now, on “indefinite hold”.

According to the Guillaume de Fondaumiere, the firm’s co-CEO, Sony asked the developers to switch its focus to Move’s version of Heavy Rain instead of the second chapter in the Heavy Rain Chronicles.

Speaking with Game Informer, de Fondaumiere told the site that work on the DLC could resume once the Move version of the game is released, but that more than likely, Quantic will just go forward with it’s next project.

Bummer right there for folks looking forward to playing the Origami Killer in the next bit of DLC.

We’ll send a Sony a mail, and hopefully by Monday, we should have more on this for you.

1. Blerk

Seems like a weird decision – surely pretty much everyone who wanted the game has already bought it? Is Move support really going to drive extra sales?

2. Bulk Slash

Lame, I was looking forward to some more DLC. I don’t have any interest in replaying the game in waggle mode.

3. DeforMAKulizer

But blerk, when i played it at E3 with move support it felt like a totally different experience!
    I would actually go through a second playtime just with move because the movements in the game were reflected in real life.
    The scene was madison’s, so when i wanted to open the fridge it was like opening an actual one infront of me. I had hold the move as if it was the handle twist it downwards and pull it to the right.
    Truly brilliant IMHO…
    Even when i had to drink the coffee cup, i had to mimic picking up a coffee cup infront of me with the move and tilt the move slowly in front of my mouth as to not drop the coffee…
    I can see it adding a lot of tension in the already tense scenes of heavy rain.

4. Razor

Sony are idiots for this.

5. Erthazus

@1 I think there are not enough people who want to but DLC for Heavy Rain, thats the problem.
    To make DLC cost money and latest DLC was overpriced a little bit and i don’t think so that it sold well.

6. Nico23

uh i was looking forward to the next dlc, but hey i am getting the move so yh it’ll be interesting to try it out. I enjoyed the first dlc.

7. DeSpiritusBellum

@5 Making DLC costs money – Really? Then how come you think you’re entitled to get it for free, commie?

I couldn’t help it. I have absolutely nothing to say about the beautiful banal buttonpressing experience known as Heavy Rain.

8. Hunam

I think the problem with Heavy Rain is that each segment by itself would be rather expensive to make as it’s all digital actors. By the time they’d made something worth giving to people and it not costing them tons to do it I’d imagine it would cheaper for them and for us if they just made another game.

Story driven games don’t really lend themselves well to DLC that we’re used to. Addons work fine but then again, you might as well just make a stand alone expansion as they sell better.

9. xino

i doubt it man!
    QD will be working on their name game instead.

10. NiceFellow

Makes sense. The game I’m sure would actually play better with Move, and it would give Sony a nice critical, mature title using motion controls in addition to the fun and games party stuff.

I doubt it’ll sell much more of the title but you never know.

Once Move is patched in fully they can go back to the DLC obviously.

11. Quiiick

@ Blerk

“Seems like a weird decision – surely pretty much everyone who wanted the game has already bought it? “

I don’t think so. But I can only speak for myself:

Heavy Rain is one of my most anticipated games for this year but I still have not purchased it. I stopped buying Games at full price long ago and wait until I can get them new for about £20.

Most games are available at this price point only a few weeks or months after release. Why pay more?

12. Blerk

Is the move support going to be patched in for free, will it be ‘paid’ DLC, or will it be a completely separate version of the game that you’ll have to buy again?

13. Quiiick

My guess is that it will be both, a paid DLC for existing owners & a separate new version of the game.