Slimmer 360 hungry for discs

Friday, 18th June 2010 09:26 GMT By Joe Anderson

The new Xbox 360 is only just starting to arrive in stores Stateside, however it seems that someone at E3 has already figured out how to get it to eat discs.

During a demonstration with the device at E3, someone decided that they would lift the console while an Alan Wake disc was still spinning in the machine, the result was a rather ruined disc and a rather embarrassed journalist.

Seems that if you want to keep your discs intact when you buy the new machine, then you should just leave it alone and let it get on with its job.

The new Xbox 360 250Gb is being shipped in the US now, while it should hit stores in the UK around July 16.

Thanks, Destructoid

1. Robo_1

LOL, I thought like a 2 cent washer would prevent that from happening. Still nickle and diming their customers then.. sigh.

2. Freek

You should ALWAYS leave any disc based machine alone when it’s in operation. Unless it’s a portable CD player with anti shock. But who has those anymore?

3. mington

nom nom nom

4. Psychotext

I love how the sticker telling them not to do just that is still stuck to the front of the machine. :D

Reading am hard.

5. HuntingJake

As I said on Destructoid, they knew this was a problem with the old machine, as it is with any machine with a tactile disc drive similar to the 360, so where in this guy’s mind did it tell him it’d be ok to turn the machine over when it was reading a disc? It’s nothing new with the 360, and it’s nothing new with tech in general.

6. mtmind2

“And for my next trick, I shall empty this glass of water into the 360 whilst playing Gears of War 2″

7. Blerk

I’m thinking perhaps this guy should never be allowed to hold a baby.

8. djhsecondnature

Whilst I agree that you shouldn’t move your console whilst it’s on, no other device I know chews up your disc. Not the PS3, PS2, GC, DVD player, Laptop, etc. None of these do it so it’s pretty bad that the 360 does.

9. Gadzooks!

Bullshit. Any of those devices will chew a disc if swung around while the disc is spinning.

Do stupid things with electronics and shit breaks. That’s all that has been proved here.

10. Psychotext

I’ve had a Wii do it and a DVD PVR do it. (disc actually made its way into the case on the PVR) I’ve never had anything do it lately though… but that’s because if anyone goes near my consoles / media stuff now they get their fingers broken as a warning.

Always start with the fingers. You can move onto the wrists after that, then the elbows, and so on…

11. kasasensei

Stupidoid.

12. Dannybuoy

fr-fr-fressssh

13. The Hindle

Over at CVG they are reporting the slim suffers from the red dot of death LMAO could we have placement for the red ring?

14. Psychotext

For a second there I thought you were saying that they’d had one fail on them. “Suffers”.

It’s just a description of what the machine does if something goes wrong: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=252403&skip=yes

15. The Hindle

Surely this new 360 shouldnt be showing any form of red ring though?

Edit as if its truely been fixed they wouldnt have to rephrase the term hmm

16. Psychotext

Every recent machine has error indicators, the Wii, the PS3, the 360, the original xbox. Why would they leave it with none just because the old machine had specific issues?

17. sennasnit

That’s not entirely true.
    Slot drives don’t do it eg. car CD players, PS3 etc…

18. Gadzooks!

Slot drives are not exempt from scratching under shock unless they have anti-shock mechanisms, which car CD players do.

Slot drives still have a spindle and close proximity head and will scratch if shaken while spinning.

19. Erthazus

You all care? It’s like you are coming home, and shaking your console all the time you play games.

BTW, not all slot drives do this with the disk. I have at PC Super Writemaster. You can shake my PC as much as you want it won’t do with the disks nothing.
    It’s not like Microsoft will put in the 360 reliable and 100$ DVD driver.

20. daytripper

dont care much for this video, going to get the new xbox on 16th july :-D

21. Droid

Complete non issue for me. Anyone who is stupid enough to shake their console deserves bad things to happen to it.

22. Dralen

Holy fuck that is awful. It’s not like he was trying to brake the disc, he only picked it up. You can all say that it’s a non issue, but that disc is totally fucked now, and all the guy did was lift it slightly.

Also yeah, I’m sure anyone’s console would break if you swung it around like a mad man, but this guy only lifted it off the table.

23. Psychotext

…and yet there it is, very clearly on the front of the console.

Don’t move the console if there’s a disc in the drive.

Who knew?!

24. theevilaires

Everyone read Gadzooks! post :D …..(that kid is in so much denial its getting sad at this point)

25. onlineatron

Or a Wii/PS3 with a slot disk drive.

26. Gadzooks!

“Woohoo everybody look at me, I’m some kind of forum celebrity, please please pay attention to me!!”

No mate, your an ADHD kid with a big mouth. Now kindly pipe down, there are adults talking.

27. Bikki

Just dont lift or dance with the xbox whilst playing a game then. Case solved.

28. theevilaires

I think you been staring at the RROD too much. Calm down Mr. Denial.

29. DaMan

how surprising.

that guy is a retard.

30. Gadzooks!

What exactly am I in denial about then? Please psychoanalyse me as I’m so very very insecure about my choice to buy both the HD consoles and make my mind up about which games I enjoy and which games I dont enjoy.

Could you please decide for me what I like, as you obviously know better than I.

Or perhaps you could just shut up and stop acting like a fucking child. It’s embarrasing. Just accept that not everyone likes the things you like and move the fuck on.

31. Uncontested

@30 Nerd… RAGE!!!!

BLARRGHHHH

Clam down dweeb.

32. 2EX08

But what if I want to move the 360 from a vertical position into a horizontal position and vice-versa during gameplay?

That would mean that I would have to reach a save point, turn off the console, shift the position, turn on the console, and load my game.

That would be too many seconds of my life gone to waste and all because Microsoft is too inexperienced and/or cheap to deal with hardware!!!!

33. Psychotext

What possible reason would you have for doing that during a game? Hell, why would anyone feel the need to move their console on a whim anyway? Mine’s been in the same place for the last few years, save for one quick move out of the room for redecorating.

It’s the most bizarre argument I’ve seen here for a while… and this place has some seriously bizarre arguments.

34. Phoenixblight

2EX08 was obviously being sarcastic. What he typed is dripping with it.

35. Psychotext

It’s been a long ass day. Sarcasm detector must be broken.

36. reask

Surely at this stage PT you realize the fanboys will jump on anything to point to fail on 360.
    I mean just wait till gt5 and that’s it.
    Or was it KZ2 or GOW or UC” or RFOM2 or PS3 Slim?
    Sounds like a long wait to me.

Funny thing is I have both and am quite fond of My PS3 but see its shortcomings and never feel the need to keep pointing them out on forums.(I mean god damn its one ugly machine).

I think its called insecurity.

37. murfbeknown

In the great debate about consoles etc destroying disks. I work in game and have seen wii games with the most horrendous radioburns on them, and have seen ps3 disks with them on aswel. So it seems that none of the consoles are completely free of the risk!

38. reask

@ 37
    Yes but imagine some fanboys are trying to lament the fact that a console and not a handheld done this.
    Sad but true.