3DS should not be used by under sevens

Friday, 18th June 2010 18:13 GMT By Joe Anderson

3ds0

Nintendo has recommended that children under seven not use 3DS when it’s released later this year/early next year.

There are concerns that prolonged use of the device may cause headaches and nausea, however NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime said that this wasn’t too much of a concern for the company.

“Nintendo 3DS has “no health issues,” said Reggie. “We are working with the experts in the field, we’ve done extensive testing. We have a legacy of bringing only the best and finest products to the marketplace.”

However, Reggis did have some concerns about one section of the population using the 3DS optical display – children under seven.

“We will recommend that very young children not look at 3D images,” he said. “That’s because, [in] young children, the muscles for the eyes are not fully formed… this is the same messaging that the industry is putting out with 3D movies, so it is a standard protocol.

“We have the same type of messaging for the [1990s Nintendo virtual reality machine] Virtual Boy, as an example.”

3DS has not yet been dated for release.

Via Kotaku.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Gameboy thumb

Wii elbow

3DS cross eyes.

2. onlineatron

That’s got to be at least a quarter of Nintendo’s market!

3. Erthazus

Quarter? Maybe even more.

4. onlineatron

I’d argue more if we were talking about the DS. But the 3DS, with it’s mix of 3D and high-end graphics is sure to appeal to older consumers.

5. SniperWolf

you mean 80% of Nintendo’s market

6. Erthazus

70% of kids, 30% of older consumers/gamers

7. DaMan

stats please.

8. Erthazus

@7 I’m joking of course. It’s not true at all :)

9. ryan8765

@1 You forgot Power Glove PTSD

10. LordCancer

lol @9 ptsd… i had a power glove. the horror.

11. SaintRasmus

“We are working with the experts in the field, we’ve done extensive testing”

Poor test kids

12. El_MUERkO

cue quintillions of parents ignoring the warnings and then moaning when their kids go wonkey eyed

13. theevilaires

LOL thats 90% of their audience :D

14. 2EX08

This statement has “IRONY” written all over it!

15. frostquake

I’ve had extensive time viewing 3D for long periods of time, as beta testing that I can’t comment on. But, “3D” with extended viewing caused me massive migraines, and at least 2 times where I vomited. The Research paid for my doctor visits and eye exams. Perfectly healthy and perfect eyes before, and perfectly healthy and perfect eyes afterwords, though the longer I viewed, the longer it took my eyes to adjust to normal viewing…very very blurry. Also The two times I vomited it took about 2-3 days to recover. Though once I gave up 3D for more then a couple of days, everything went back to normal with eyes and health. The final recommendation was to limit one’s self to small sessions of 3D, and that for short periods of time 3D did not cause any long term health or eye issues. The Pay was higher if I was willing to submit myself to longer extended periods, but I was afraid of long term damage, and after 2 bouts of vomiting I was done!

16. G1GAHURTZ

Is that with or without glasses?

17. OlderGamer

Thanks for sharing Frost. I have seen similer bits from other people. I have read that people say that they get sick from both glasses and non glasses 3D, G1GA. But of course its hard to believe much on the net unless you experience it first hand. But, no doubt Frost is relaying the truth back to us.