Microsoft: Kinect pricing to be announced at gamescom

Thursday, 17th June 2010 11:08 GMT By Joe Anderson

kinect 3

Microsoft has revealed that it’s to release pricing information on Kinect at gamescom in August.

Entertainment & Devices at Microsoft Germany, Oliver Kaltner, explained that the company was keen not to distract people Kinect’s accessibility at this moment.

“I believe that the price point is not the critical topic, but something you need at the end of the communication in order to place a product properly into a market,” he told GamesIndustry Germany (via GI) at E3. “From that standpoint pricing is an important topic for our target groups, our partners and, of course, also for us.

“I also think it is the right decision not to determine price points now, because it distracts completely from our actual core story with all its possibilities in the area of gaming, movie, music and social entertainment. We firmly believe that we can offer an unique innovation.

He went on to add: “Being responsible for the business in Germany, it comes in handy to still have certain flexibility. In eight weeks we are at gamescom and we will know the price not later than that, because we will start to sell [to retail].”

Hints were also dropped in regards to other things we could see in Cologne in the summer.

“I am very proud to say that Microsoft as a corporation did understand, how important gamescom is. We will have a much bigger and more spectacular appearance at gamescom this year than we did last year,” said Kaltner.

“We have invested well – and because we did not unveil everything on E3 we will have also for gamescom a lot of fresh information.”

We’ll be there. Bring it.

1. Amored

This makes sense. Sony announced the price of Move 2 months before its release, and Microsoft will do the same. Maybe that’s the best “marketing strategy”?

2. Erthazus

It’s not a marketing strategy, they just wanted to see how Sony is going to price that thing, so Microsoft can MOVE :)

3. Amored

How do you know? Both companies announcing price 2 months before release…

4. Gadzooks!

The API’s are still being worked on, it’s not a completed project ready to ship so of course they will have to wait to announce pricing.

It’s nothing to do with Move.

5. JonFE

People should stop being so defensive of their toys, if you ask me.

It does makes sense that MS wanted to know how much Sony’s Move costs in order to announce their price, there’s no need to “know” and has nothing to do with API’s.

Don’t you see that by announcing Kinect price at $149 (if the rumours are true), it would make it seem terribly expensive in direct contrast to Move’s $49? People don’t care that one Kinect device will cover 1 to 4 players at the same time, while you’d need 4 Move devices to do the same on PS3; people would just compare $149 to $49 and be done with it.

My guess is that MS has already decided on a price and wanted to know the official Move price, in order to plan Kinect’s marketing strategy, i.e. make it look cheaper by spreading the message of Move’s hidden costs (Eye camera, navigation controller, extra devices for more players).

6. Amored

$49 dollars + Eye (at $something) + “Nunchuk” (at $29) + game (at $39).
    Cheap stuff.

7. Erthazus

@6 + you have choice.

you can buy everything, or only Move, PS Eye.

Still, i won’t buy for now. Need more games with Move.

8. DrDamn

@JonFE
    There is a fair bit of truth to that. Baseline costs is what a lot of people will see. To an extent that is all they need to get them going, but probably not to do everything they want. Lots of smaller costs can be more manageable than one big cost too – even if the overall comparison is much better in the one off payment.

9. cookiejar

And technically it is possible to use the Dualshock instead of the NavCon, so you could save yourself some cash there too.

Personally, I don’t mind the price of Move. Right about now, normally I’d be planning to shell out £400 on a new system, but as this generation is being extended, I don’t mind paying sub £200 for the Move system and a couple games.

10. daytripper

$399 Move Bundle in US, I cant see many casuals going for that.

11. DrDamn

Was that confirmed at any point at E3 or is it based on assumption of demos we have seen. Wouldn’t put it past Sony to remove that option.

I did try using a DS one handed to try it. It was alright, probably not something I’d want to use all the time and not standing up so much. I have some older non-rumble PS3 controllers which are a little easier due to the reduced weight too.

12. Amored

@7 Erthazus – Move costs $49, Eye costs $25. But those two are useless without a game, so one would have to buy a game as well, which would cost $39. And if one wants to play good games, one would have to buy a “Nunchuk” aswell, which would cost $29. So 49+25+39+29=_142_ .
    Or one could buy the bundle which costs $99. The stand alone Move at $49 is basically something you buy if you wanna play with friends.

13. Superfrog

“I am very proud to say that Microsoft as a corporation did understand, how important gamescom is. We will have a much bigger and more spectacular appearance at gamescom this year than we did last year.”

That’s nice to hear, because last year’s appearance was a joke.

14. frostquake

Move may cost more in the long run, buying different parts, but to be honest, Move will be easier to buy due to its small chunks, instead of the $149.99 at Kinect.

Simply put in this Economy it is easier for me to drop $50 one month for Move, and then $30 next month for the Sub controller and so on. There is NO WAY right now I can drop $150.00 in one month for the Kinect…Buying Kinect is almost like buying a new Console…it is a big chunk of change while the Move can be bought in increments over time, while the Kinect is a Big purchase right up front.

So I think Move is going to penetrate the market more deeply and have larger sales then Kinect. So I have Moved Kinect way out of my mind while Move is on my radar now, when before it wasn’t.

Also Sony can Pack in games down the Future with the Move without causing the price to go up to much. Can you Imagine if they put Halo 4 as a Pack in Game with Kinect, it would be $199.99 or more…I just don’t seeing it happen, until the Kinect gets a re-design for cheaper parts.

Gotta Say Before E3 I swore I wasn’t going to buy Move or Kinect, but I will be buying Move now, just because I can get it in cheaper chunks, and I have seen some games I want with the Move, and have seen NO games I want with Kinect.

15. Erthazus

I’m still… Not sure… If i want to buy Move or not.

the major problem are GAMES. Ports and one Sorcery is just not enough for me.

But it’s on my Radar for 100%

16. DrDamn

There is Kung Fu Rider! Not sure why it’s a Move title exactly but it looks fun in a bizarre Japanese way …

17. Gadzooks!

“Also Sony can Pack in games down the Future with the Move without causing the price to go up to much. Can you Imagine if they put Halo 4 as a Pack in Game with Kinect”

Actually it’s more likely to be the other way around. More costly items tend to get better value-added software deals.

I agree though that one-shot cost and software are the prime movers and Kinect so far has no games for the core gamer announced.

18. Amored

@DrDamn – I saw the demo of it at the GameSpot Stage Show, and it looked like the controls were a bit shit. They should have just made it a PSN-title for the DUALSHOCK3.

19. DrDamn

Yeah I really couldn’t see what made it warrant being a Move title from the vid. A nice little PSN release which supports a standard controller too would seem a better option.

20. natesaninja