House: Cross-Game Chat is a “side issue”

Thursday, 17th June 2010 12:59 GMT By Joe Anderson

psnlogo

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss Andrew House has said that Cross-Game Chat is a “side issue”.

We revealed earlier this week that Sony’s official site listed Cross-Game Chat as a feature of PlayStation Plus, before being told in a statement from Sony that it wasn’t.

“I think that’s a separate, side-issue from PlayStation Plus right now,” said House, speaking to Eurogamer. “I don’t think we’ve talked about that for that reason.”

Asked if it was something Sony was considering, all House would say is:

“That’s not really something we’re talking about at this show, before adding that Sony would talk to fans about this. ” But not right now? “No.”

PlayStation Plus launches worldwide on June 29, and costs £39.99 for a year’s subscription, while a 90-day sub costs £11.99.

1. Mike

lol

2. daytripper

They really should not have scrapped the “playstation world” idea that was revealed in PSM before ps3 was launched, it looked very good and way better than what PSN is. That was a real Xbox Live rival and the only reason I can see them scrapping it was money.

3. Superfrog

@ News headline: “a separate, side-issue from PlayStation Plus right now” does not equal “side-issue”.

4. Mike

“side issue” = PSN won’t allow it without a major overhaul.

butiitsfreebutitsfreebutitsfree

*spastic face*

5. cookiejar

Yep. Maybe its coming with that ‘new XMB’ we heard about. I’d say that was more of a firmware 4.0 thing rather than a 3.40, though.

6. akrillic

Cross-game Chat or “private chat” is the single most talked about feature with every promise of a firmware update. What is it that’s proving so difficult to implement?

7. Blerk

I’m still sort of confused about why people even want it.

8. Gekidami

Because it is a useful feature.

9. Amored

@Blerk – Because it would make PSN a community. When I play on my PS3, it’s like I’m not even online, because there’s no real chat feature. When I’m on my 360, I’m usually in party chat with somebody.

10. Blerk

But does it really have to be cross-game? That’s what I’m getting at. Allowing people in parties who are playing together to chat is one thing, but is the cross-game thing really so important?

11. Kerplunk

To some extent, people always want what they haven’t got. Whatever is lacking, you can bet that people will crawl out of the woodwork (or from under their bridges) and claim it’s a deal-breaker or makes something utterly unusable.

People tend to be drama queens.

12. Blerk

It’s like the custom soundtracks thing. People always bang on about that like it’s absolutely essential and yet I’ve never used it. Not even once.

13. DaMan

seriously, custom soundtracks are as useful as the cross game chat?

:?

14. Amored

@Blerk – Yes, because that would require you to play the same game as your friends just to be able to chat with them. If it was cross-game, you could play whatever you wanted, and he could play whatever he wanted. What if you didn’t wanna play anything? What if you just wanted to browse the PS Store for a little while or check out PS Home, and he wanted to play EyePet. Then you wouldn’t be able to chat. But if PS3 featured cross-game-chat, you would! :D

15. Mike

Basically, if I’m playing Gears and you and Psychotext want me to join in playing Barbie Horse Adventures, whilst I’m just finishing off my mission and you two are choosing your costumes we can all chat and have a laugh.

Then, when the two of you are finished playing dress-up and me teabagging Locust, I can join you with no breaks in conversation etc.

To me, that’s what being “connected” to a network is about.

16. Amored

@Mike – Well said.

17. Gadzooks!

I suspect they will wait to see what the uptake of PSN+ is before commiting to cross-game chat.

Basically they will need a new server infrastructure to support it, so if they make enough money from PSN+ then they can fund it.

Whether the feature goes in PSN+ or regular PSN is anyones guess.

18. reask

The younger ones use it quite a lot.
    My one might be playing in one party whilst chatting to her m8s playing a different game.

19. Alakratt

PSN+ is really not appealing to me at all. If they want people to jump aboard they should add more stuff to it. idk, like the extended warranty that was rumored, and…idk But it’s good that they’re keeping cross-game chat separate, it’ll expand the PSN community way more.

QUESTION: What was that about the first 3 months free? Can anybody elaborate more? Do we like, get 3 months free when we update to 3.40?

20. Amored

You get 3 additional months for free the first time you subscribe for 1 year.

21. theevilaires

I could care less really but I would like to have custom soundtracks whenever I want.

People bitch about cross game chat in games, but love to text their stupid friends all the time on a damn cell when a call is much easier and faster. Society is fucking stupid!

22. ivycrew707

Did anyone see anything about cloud storage?