EA exec hints at achievements for 3DS

Thursday, 17th June 2010 16:28 GMT By Joe Anderson

ryanstradling

Nintendo’s 3DS may have some form of achievement system, if a new video is anything to go by.

An interview over on Nintendo’s E3 website has EA’s senior director Ryan Stradling talking about the new device.

“Brilliant – that was my first reaction [when I saw the 3DS],” he said. “Think of all the gameplay possibilities we can have.

“Playing games is about playing with friends and I want to know when my friends are online. It’s also going to let me know what games they are playing, what real time updates are available,  and exchanging achievements with other players.”

He could of course simply mean boasting of high scores to your friends, or the like. However, we can always hope.

Thanks, MCV

1. Erthazus

someone need to kill achievements stuff. Developers are concentrating more on them, then gameplay.

2. Anders

That look = priceless. “Who, me?”

@Erthazus: Come on, exaggerating much?

I love achievements. All that is needed is some sort of “real” award for gaining a certain amount of points. One month free Xbox Live for every 10 000 points you get, or something.

3. ryan8765

Or how about making achievements worth something. Don’t really see the point in getting awarded for completing a tutorial or even progressing the story. but accomplishing something unique in a game or difficult is definitely worth documenting in some way for people to see it.

4. daytripper

nah i enjoy achievements/trophies, cant see the harm in them, never stopped the gameplay element as far as i’m concerned.

5. Erthazus

@2 With that i agree, but still it’s a waste of time. Achievements don’t give something to the gameplay, except it is turning to the MMORPG where you need to FARM.

@4 Never stoped you, but developers have problems with it.
    David Jaffe said that too much developers concentrated in achievements and trophies and for this gen it is more important for gamers then gameplay.

6. Petulant Radish

@ 5 so one man says it and it makes it gospel does it? You can take them or leave them, you don’t have to pay attention to them and I fail to see how they have a negative effect on gameplay. But please feel free to provide me a list of games where this has happened.

7. daytripper

well thats david jaffes opinion and from what i can see there have been a lot of games this generation with great gameplay. its up to the gamer if he wants to get every achievement or trophy.

8. Erthazus

@6 I think developers better could concentrate on gameplay then trophies.
    Look. Valkyria Chronicles. Amazing game and no trophies at all.
    Games like BC2, Killzone 2, or Call OF Duty have emblems and other stuff that you don’t need in reality. It’s an absolute waste in my opinion and when people play they want to have emblem, not to be skilled.

Like Blizzards games for example: easy to play, hard to master.
    Except WOW. They integrated achievements to World Of Warcraft and that was just lol. Especially when i see people that wants to waste their time sitting and killing 1500 mobs just for one trophie all over again. They are time consuming.

I remember games like Quake or Unreal where they don’t have achievements at all. You just play and raise your skill and having fun not because of some trophie.

9. ivycrew707

Trophies are great (and achievements)…..only reason to play alot of games after you finish them….@2 thats a great idea…I always thought xbox did tho and sony were just slacking

10. Petulant Radish

@ 8 Yes but nothing what you have said there means they are taking away from gameplay, you still have all of that levelling up in games. Receiving an arbitrary award that goes into a metascore doesn’t detract from that, if anything a good developer can make you do fun things in a game that you might not have otherwise done.

Just choose to ignore it, you can turn off the notifications you know!

11. Petulant Radish

Anyway, hometime so I can go and needlessly play some mindnumbing side task in a game so I can extend my pointless online self worth. Cheerio!