Watch the moment 360 Slim gets revealed, Don Mattrick turns into Oprah

Tuesday, 15th June 2010 09:31 GMT By Johnny Cullen

If by some chance you missed the end of Microsoft’s press conference, needless to say there was a whole bunch of WTFs and more as Xbox 360 Slim was announced, don’t worry: we have you covered.

Hit the break.

Slim’s announce was followed up by the even more bonkers news that it would be with retailers this week.

Oh, and everyone in the audience got a free one from Microsoft. Lucky them.

You know its big when Epic’s Mark Rein stands up and applauds.

Get it below.

As for when the new console hits Europe, it’ll release on July 16.

1. Joe Anderson

mmm Iphone 4 or the new Xbox 360.

2. frostquake

I watched all this on G4′s Live E3 Coverage, this is all old news…give the dirty scoop’s of behind the scenes like bra malfunctions and zipper disasters… ROFL

3. Mike

He is Tom Cruise.

Also, will the new 360 be a US version? That’ll be a bit limiting to all the European crowd.

4. Bulk Slash

I’m glad I’m not the only one who things he looks like a goofier Tom Cruise.

5. CptKurk

Ooh. Aah.

Honestly though, I really wouldn’t mind trading in my old Jet Engine Turbine 360 for a quieter model, but not at the full price of a new console. Why do old, loyal customers never get the perks they deserve? Why do new customers always get the red carpet? Why is my tea cold?

6. mington

I think some time next year i’ll swap my noise box 360 for the slim.

I think i heard that if you buy kinect with an old xbox it needs a separate power supply, but with the new xbox-slim it just powers through the console.

SO yeah next time my xbox red rings (and it will, its done it twice already), my 3 year warranty has run out, so i’ll pick up the slim/kinect bundle

/sips bowling cup of tea :P

7. aone

OMG it’s ugly!

8. justiceblob

I really hate the design, it seems so family unfriendly compared to what they are doing right now.

9. CptKurk

On second thought, I can use my old 360 to keep my tea hot, so I’ll hang on to it.

10. Ianman

Hmmm…I sure hope they made some serious modifications to avoid overheating. Quieter Xbox means less air movement.

I also don’t understand why everyone gets excited when that guys says that they will be the same price as the current Xbox? The idea that this new xbox is “kinect ready” indicates that old xboxes can’t use Kinect?

11. theevilaires

does anyone know if the HDD is now standard like the ones in PS3.

12. Kaufer

@11 Its still MS proprietary HDD.

13. Psychotext

No, it just means that they need to use a power adapter for Kinect. The new 360 provides the power via a modified USB port.

As for quieter meaning less air movement… not always. Bigger fans = Lower RPM = Less Noticeable Noise. I have 160mm fans in my PC and they move monumental amounts of air without being particularly noticeable.

The original 60mm fans in the 360 were whiny loud bastages.

14. Kysshin

Not to mention that the GPu/Cpu have been combined in a single chip engraved in 45 nm that means even less heat generated.

So that the fan may spin even slower.

15. freedoms_stain

“…for the same price” (pause for applause… pause a bit longer…) *weak applause* *the odd half-hearted woo*

I haven’t had my Elite that long, doubt I’ll be going for this until it dies.

16. DaMan

looks cheap and ugly, they should’ve stuck with the white color as well.

17. AHA-Lambda

@13 – Wait is that the port above the ethernet port?

I have that and i have an elite that is only a month old O_o

EDIT: sorry ignore me it looks similar but its not =/

18. Bulk Slash

They’ve stuck a decent sized grill on the side of the console too, likely right above the heatsinks. I’d guess it’s to help get fresh air in right over the CPU/GPU, with some quiet fans on the back to pull the air through.