Sony announces PlayStationPlus

Tuesday, 15th June 2010 21:16 GMT By Joe Anderson

jacktretton

Sony has announced PlayStationPlus for the PlayStation Network.

The new service will be available for $49.99 in the US per-year, with three months free for a limited time. For elsewhere, it’ll be €49.99 in Europe, ¥5,000 in Japan and HK$233 in Asia.

For a month, it’s:

• Japan – ¥500
  • Asia – HK$38

For three months:

• North America – $17.99
  • Europe – €14.99

The service will allow subscribers to download fully designated PS3 and PSN titles as well as PS One Classics for free for a designated period and charge every month.

Jack Tretton has revealed that users will get  “hundreds of dollars’ worth of value” with anyone who subscribes in the first month getting Wipeout HD, an inFamous trial and the Rally Cross mini.

Other content the users will get includes  avatars, DLC, map packs, discounts, early access to stuff, automatic content  download & updates and Qore,  all of which will be available as long as you are a subscriber.

The service begins on June 29.

1. KillerDD

As long as multiplayer is still free I don’t care…

2. Redh3lix

Of course multiplayer will remain free. It will end the Sony’s entire Playstation 3 brand in a SECOND if they started charging for a currently free service…… It’s party chat I was looking for :(

3. osufan21

Umm…Where is In-Game Chat???

4. Holesome

This might be the start of a slippery slope to more and more paid PS3 services.

5. MushroomStamp

Chat will be on the Plus service. Looks like sony finally realized you need to charge people to have a good Live presence and network. I dont’ mind paying if they would force all users to use a mic. I continually go back to xboxLive because of the community. Every time I try to play a shooter on the PS3 it sucks balls cuz noone coordinates because the majority of people don’t have mics. Community and communication is what makes online great.

6. Blerk

Still doesn’t sound worth the money, considering what you get for free.

7. Redh3lix

Agree with Blerk. I DONT want PS “minis” and I’m not even bothered enough to pay for exclusive beta’s and videos…. it’s FUNCTIONALITY I want, e.g party chat + many other servies to improve my online gaming experience and media functionality etc etc.

8. zoopdeloop

there’s more on the list he just mentioned 2-3 things because the time was limited.They’ll get into more details eventually.