Rumor: Kinect to have two versions, most expensive costs $189.00

Monday, 14th June 2010 01:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natal4

VG247 has just been informed by an inside source close to Natal/Kinect that there will be two version of the camera controller when it hits the market.

The most expensive one will run you $189.00.

If you recall, there was a story a while back that the camera in Natal had been “dumbed down” a bit in order to make it cheaper. Then there was a report back in March stating that there was a “second version of the camera” being worked on – so all this makes a bit more sense now, if there really are two versions.

We’ve been told by our source that Microsoft replaced the original version with one that includes the tilt option, which  is controlled by a motor on the base – which has been known for a bit now.

Kinect was outed as the name of the motion controller earlier by an Italian advert, followed by a a Danish price listing as well and then USA Today.

Pat is heading to the Natal event as we speak, hopefully we will know more soon.

1. 52pickup

WHAT!!!1111?

2. The_Red

I really think MS should focus on one model and make it as cheap as possible.

3. Bloodyghost

AGAIN!!! JUST STOP WAIT TILL WE GET OFFICAL WORD VG. god what a night.

4. Quiiick

$190?
    Are they nuts?

5. dropK1CK_ninJA

“Natal had be dumbed”

I think you’re missing a ‘to’ in there…

6. Psychotext

They replaced the skeletal detection / calculation CPU… with a automatic camera tilt mechanism? Was your source drunk, or perhaps struggling to keep a straight face when they told you that?

7. onlineatron

Stephany… I think the stress has got to you already (or perhaps it’s me running on nothing but a weak cup of joe).

The article doesn’t make sense… What has been replaced by ’tilt’ and why would NATAL (f’ Kinect) require that functionality?

;)

8. Peetry

New name, new console …. re-newed customer? Not yet but we shall see 2moz. Sony better not gain Mass Effect cause if so MS are really gona lose my $$$

9. SplatteredHouse

You could almost understand the pricing, if you just used one of these to play. But, you also need an Xbox 360 (they’re packing in a vision cam with Neo-Natal I assume), but I don’t think the two together, and the cost make for a compelling proposition for a would-be casual gamer.

But, maybe the software manages to reach out far and good enough.

10. Amored

I’m getting the expensive one!

11. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that having two models would be a mistake. I also think that at $190, it’s untenable.

12. hitnrun

If the worst of these rumors is true, this will be the kind of Console Fail not seen on this Earth since the waning days of the Genesis.

13. Amored

Yeah, two models means different game experiences, which is stupid. It’s like selling a console with a crappier GPU, just to make more people afford it.

14. Stephany Nunneley

@all – The post is being cleaned up now – it was one of those get it up NOW NOW NOW type of things. Sorry. Normal programming will resume shortly.

EDIT: Done. /faints

15. Razor

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP….

…oh wait, what? $189?

Holy shit.

16. onlineatron

Off Topic (we need the respite): Does anyone know where I can find all of Alan Wake’s ‘Night Springs’ programmes online?

17. Amored

@onlinetron – Youtube?

18. El_MUERkO

Got a crap invention?

Need to make it even worse?

Make two versions of it and divide your consumer base in two!

19. Amored

@El_MUERkO – Lets see your awesome invention.

20. onlineatron

Youtube have the episodes within Alan Wake itself… but I was hoping for full screened direct feed.

Probably doesn’t exist :/

21. cookiejar

So, $189 for just the device? No console or anything right?

………….

22. Amored

@onlineatron – I don’t think that exists. But you could ask Remedy about it :P

23. Stephany Nunneley

@21 That’s just what we were told so far. Pat will get the full skinny when the event starts. Poor fella. He’ll have to sit through 45 minutes of drag queens prancing about and putting their legs behind their head first before anything gets announced.

24. Dralen

Haha! I think Microsoft have definitely made an error in judgement here.

25. Amored

@Steph – Tell him to use some camera glasses or something, and streqam it through Ustream or Justin.tv or something :P

@Dralen – People said that about Sony too, when they got to know the PS3′s price xD

26. cookiejar

@23 Im sure thats the kinda club he goes to anyways :D

Oh yes, I went there.

27. Amored

@cookiejar – You went to a drag queen club? O_o

28. cookiejar

@27 sure did!

Well it was cheaper than buying Kinect ;)

29. SplatteredHouse

@25: He’s gonna be trying to be inconspicuous blending in with the circus guys, by wearing MW2 night vision goggles, no doubt.
    @27/28: lmfao. Great stuff.

30. Stephany Nunneley

Looks like an all-star crowd at the event. http://yfrog.com/6rd4dj – per GamePro

31. No_PUDding

Whos the guy to the left of Kojima?!

32. Johnny Cullen

Tomonobu Itagaki.

33. Psychotext

8O

34. Amored

Is it just me, or do I spot nudity/semi-nudity?

35. Stephany Nunneley

Damn it. Now I wish I was there and I loathe sweaty crowds. :(

36. 52pickup

So while they are performing their circus act,will those avatars copy their movements? I bet there will be a few BAM! moments.

37. Psychotext

Looks like the audience is going to be part of it too…

Ponchos for all.

38. onlineatron

That’s exactly what internet bloggers love… Audience participation!

39. Psychotext

I think that’s the general idea behind this being tech free. That and I’m still fairly certain that the IR put out by most modern cameras could screw it all up.

40. Amored

4Player Podcast writes:
    - “We got into the natal press conference!”
    - “In the natal press event. What. The. Fuck. This is the strangest thing we’ve ever seen.”
    - “You people have no idea. They have us all in white robes with big shoulder pads.”

41. Erthazus

You need to be absolutely crazy to purchase this Piece Of Shit for that price.

42. Galactic_Barret

Is it just me or does this whole announcement seem to deflate alot of goodwill MS built up with gamers? All I can think about is “All that hype, all the hardcore hoping it wouldn’t be eyetoy, and this is it? You should have put this out of its misery.”

Does anyone else feel like that? I mean, at least with the Move we knew what we were getting. I’m just… shocked. I really thought MS had this in the bag.

Its like, the first cut is the deepest, or some ish like that. All I can hope now is that Sony has made so many mistakes, they’ve learned something.

Ugh, I’m pretty lit right now, sorry.

43. Uncontested

lol @ paying almost what you pay for an entire system for stupid ass motion control

44. Amored

I’ll easily pay $200 for Kinect.

45. Tallon 4

189 ??? not. gonna. buy.ever.

46. Amored

Poor?

47. Gekidami

Just not a tool like you i’d assume. 189 is insanely high.

48. Erthazus

@46 you are a tool or a Virtual boy fan?

49. freedoms_stain

M$ love the two-tier approach. Arcade and Pro? Arcade and Elite? Silver and Gold?

Natal standard and plus? Not inconceivable.

It’s a way to wrangle more cash out the poorest.

50. Amored

Tool? Not really. I just don’t have a problem with paying for stuff. If I like something, and want something I’ll buy it. I don’t really care about the price. If I did, I shouldn’t buy games EVER, as games in Norway are expensive as shit. When games cost £40 in UK, they cost £60 in Norway.

51. spooks

I find it incredible that Microsoft actually think gamers are stupid enough to waste more hard earned cash on new Microsoft hardware, when the last 2 have been total disasters, and have screwed gamers over royally.

They rushed it out before Sony, as as a result, it didn’t have Blu-Ray, it didn’t have Wifi, it didn’t have HDMI, it didn’t even work. Sure over the last 5 years they have made a Wifi dongle and made gamers buy an equally unreliable HDMI version if they wanted HDMI, but come on.

Do they REALLY think gamers are stupid enough to make the same mistake again?

52. Gekidami

Not to mention the lack of support for their earlier camera. And the least said about the HDDVD add-on the better.

53. AHA-Lambda

oh yeah i think the only game i ever remember supporting that camera was rainbow six vegas (and all it really did was give you an achievement lol)

54. Gekidami

I remember that ‘Movies-something-or-Other’ game being the only first party title. Then after that they pretty much forgot it existed.

55. ryan8765

@53 On Rainbow Six you can add your face to your character in the game. It was….Funny. not worth it in the long run however. only time will tell with Kinect. If Blue ray players start adding voice recognition to their hardware i think it will render Kinect useless.