Source: E3 360 conference “locked down tighter than nuclear go codes”

Sunday, 13th June 2010 20:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

xboxwave

Speaking to VG247 ahead of Microsoft’s E3 conferences tonight and tomorrow, insiders are pointing towards big surprises and leak paranoia.

“You and us both,” we were told when we told a source close to the company we were excited about the Natal Experience tonight and the main 360 press event on Monday.

“The meat’s locked down tighter than the US president’s nuclear go codes. I’ve never seen anything like it. It’s like, Mattrick and two other guys know everything: it’s insane.”

Don’t expect to just get a run of the mill few days from Microsoft.

“You’ll just have to wait,” the source continued. “We can’t lift our skirts early. I’d expect some big surprises.”

Microsoft is expected to announce both a rebrand, date and pricing for Natal in the next 24 hours, with senior execs hinting at the company’s show message in offline events today, saying 360 will offer “something for everyone” in it’s E3 showing.

Microsoft’s E3 kicks off tonight with the reveal of Project Natal at 7.00pm PST, 3am BST, 4am CET. The main event starts tomorrow with Microsoft’s press conference at 10.00am PST, 6pm BST, 7pm CET.

1. Golden

I maybe 33 and a senior manager in the NHS but I am still very very excited.

2. NoxNoctisUmbra

Maybe they know NATAL was a mistake and they don’t want to leak any gameplay because the Internet would laugh.. They think they can make it sound SOOO cool behind closed doors.

3. Erthazus

So 20-24 hours left till Microsoft’s E3 Press Conference, right?

the hype train is already on rail, whoop di doop. I’m very excited about this E3.

4. FadeLive

Presser will probably be good, the Microsoft pressers are always very well made and professional. Minus avatar shoe BAM! and the Shadow Complex glitch last year lol.

5. reask

LMAO @ 1. :D

6. Hazzarington

I hope this ISN’T the 720

7. reask

@ 6
    No way I would reckon the 360 will be with us for quite a while.
    Thankfully.

8. onlineatron

Does anyone know how us in the UK can watch the Natal event?

9. Peetry

I can’t decide if I’m excited about Microsoft. If they role out celebs like last time il be really dissappointed, I want games and features not paid faces. Problem is E3 isn’t for me, Microsoft is out to impress the idiotic masses.

10. Bulk Slash

I hope we get some exciting “megaton” announcements, it’s been getting a bit boring lately.

11. justiceblob

@8 the Natal event isn’t being broadcast I dont think :(… and it would be at 3 am tommorow in the UK…

12. onlineatron

Isn’t it being broadcast on MTV in america?

13. tontsa91

Very exciting :) I don’t think im going to watch the Natal show but im 100% sure watching the actual press conference. Can’t say for sure that Sony will top Microsoft at this years E3.

“This year at E3 we’ve got even BIGGER announcements to share with you.”

WHAT IF there will be announced both Xbox 360 successor (so called 720) AND Xbox 360 Slim? Im sure that MS will jump to the next generation before Sony. Oh and I dont think there will ever be a Xbox handheld, simply because there are no studios who would make games for it.

14. ybfelix

Sony side hasn’t leaked anything significant either… though they announced a lot stuffs pre-E3.

15. ybfelix

Also Natal please don’t suck!

Right, at times like this I realize deep down I’m a xbox fanboy :(

16. AHA-Lambda

it may be locked down tighter than a nuns anus but does it have any big suprises?

Please dont show off just natal, halo, fable and gears. I’m only interested in one of those :(

17. Erthazus

Sony leaked too much: Killzone 3, LittleBigPlanet 2, SOCOM4, Motorstorm: Apocalypse, Infamous 2, Starhawk game, not to mention about games like GT5, The Last guardian and Agent.

I don’t know what Sony can possibly have up their sleeve. Yes, sure games are going to be great or maybe games will top all Conferences, but surprises???

But Microsoft? They announced Halo:Reach, Gears Of war 3, Fable 3. It’s not much, but still leaked… So… They have more chances to surprise people.

18. AHA-Lambda

as cool as sony’s stuff is i’ve kept saying they should have kept it :(

it makes a much bigger impact as a surprise, then again the strategy must have worked somewhat cos most people seem to be excited the most about sony’s e3 conference

19. Johnny Cullen

All the games Sony has shown thus far – LittleBigPlanet 2, Killzone 3, inFamous 2, Motorstorm Apocalypse – was already planned before E3, so they haven’t actually leaked anything.

20. Erthazus

@19 Yeah, but don’t forget that people expecting already something from Sony, so there is almost no surprise. Some Starhawk leaks, people wait for GT5 release date, The Last Guardian trailer and maybe some Agent. It’s already enough.

On the Microsoft part, people really don’t know what will happen there. Yeah, people know about Slim, Hulu, Milo, but thats not much.

Nintendo is super secret too. We know that we will see some MEtroid footage, Zelda, 3DS games, Vitality Sensor games and show is going to be for two hours. Not so much leaked info.

So…

21. get2sammyb

@17 – nothing Sony’s announced has been leaked. They were genuine announcements.

Fair enough Microsoft could win the E3 trophy, but only really because we haven’t heard a peep out of them for MONTHS now. And even then, if Sony announce NOTHING new at their E3 press conference, factor in GT5 and The Last Guardian and I can’t see any company matching Sony’s depth of content.

It’s almost like people think because Sony didn’t announce their stuff within the span of two hours, their announcements don’t count. You rattled off some big games as though they were nothing, Mr. 17.

22. The Hindle

Im thinking Sony will show off some of the games they have announced, LBP 2 to present the stats etc, and focus on Move, 3d gaming will be demonstated by KZ 3, thats my tips for Sonys conference.

23. Erthazus

@21 We are not speaking about content, we are talking about the surprises.
    Sure, i don’t know if someone can top Sony’s content and games. But surprises are ve-ery important and from all three for 2 hour presentation i don’t expect much.

24. get2sammyb

Actually Mr. Erthazus, you clarified as I was posting so I retract my comment. I see what you were getting at.

I still think Sony’s got plenty to say, however. If you really stop to think about it — the likes of Killzone 3, inFamous 2 and so forth are not really big surprises at all. We all knew they were coming.

Maybe their attention will be elsewhere. I can’t imagine they’ll stand there and reiterate what they’ve been talking about for the last month — though I do think gameplay demos for inFamous 2 and so on are a lock at this point.

25. get2sammyb

@23 — we did it again. Haha.

26. The Hindle

The two main suprises last year were Agent and FF 14, im going to go ahead and guess that the next Batman game will be shown off at Sonys conference with some timed dlc as the first game had that. Probably a stupid guess lol.

27. Bloodyghost

IDK @ 12. I hope it is I want to SEE MORE OF NATAL.

28. Razor

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

29. get2sammyb

@26 – probably not. I think in terms of multiplatform showcases at Sony, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood, Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Batman: Arkham Asylum 2 are the three most likely. Sony tend to focus on their own stuff more though.

In terms of the ACTUAL topic here, Microsoft, I would say Call Of Duty: Black Ops would be a lock for their conference, but I’m not sure they’d want to put it next to Halo: Reach. Though they did that last year with Modern Warfare 2 to be fair.

30. polygem

FF XIII VERSUS ON 360 (HOPE!)
    LAST GUARDIAN ON 360 (JOKE)
    MS HANDHELD WINDOWS PHONE 7 HYBRID (DEFINITELY) – I BELIEVE THIS WILL BE A HUGE PART – NOT SURE IF THIS OR 3 DS OR PSP2 WILL WIN IN THE END…
    NATAL / SLIM 360 (WE ALL KNOW ALREADY)
    THE GAMES WE ALL KNOW THEY WILL SHOW AND 1 OR NEW ONES WE DIDN´T EXPECT

31. Erthazus

@30 STOP WRITING WITH CAPS LOCK FOR GOD SAKE. THX. K. BYE :D

@29, AC:Brotherhood on their conference? Unlikely, it’s just an addon, not much fuss around it. Fans will eat it absolutely, but it won’t sell consoles.
    Arkham Asylum 2? Probably.
    Rising? If you ask me, the best way for Rising is Microsoft. Sony can just mention that it is coming for their box. It’s still will sell better on PS3.

Sony really need to focus on their own games. But what they can show is, if possible (MASS EFFECT 3 on stage) and that ME 2 coming to PS3 this fall. That would be a massive shitstorm, even if the game sucks is pure not RPG piece of crap.

32. polygem

i like SOmE vaRiety IN My WriTING

33. SplatteredHouse

@8 – Gametrailers will have it, coinciding with MTV’s US reshowing, on Tuesday. It’s on their site’s schedule, so I guess it would be very early Wednesday morning. With luck, they’ll archive it as well, in case people need sleep, instead of seeing the Natal event.

It looks as if it may also be viewable on Xbox.com as it’s mentioned as a Wednesday attraction over there…As long as I see it, though, it’ll be good.

34. AHA-Lambda

so noone is actually showing this live really then right?

ah bugger it its only natal.

PS I recently watched the newest episode of invisible walls on gametrailers and it seems that they have accidentally leaked crysis 2 will be in 3D including the 360 version :O

35. SplatteredHouse

Fox8 channel in Australia will broadcast the media briefing LIVE (titled Xbox 360: The Future Revealed) and the Cirque du Soleil/Natal show on June 26. Maybe unexpected but welcome news for those in the right part of the world, I imagine. :)

36. pedrami91

A banner over at an Italian website shows the Xbox 360 slim, dunno if it’s real:

And Natal is named Kinect ?

37. Madlink

@ I think it’s real sir. You can see the full ad here.

Psychotext pointed it out in another news article.

38. zoopdeloop

I think there is a possibility that Sony will surprise people more.
    Their event is after Microsoft’s which gives them the edge(they may have some “back up secrets” ready to show from what they normaly had intended to in case Microsoft tops them….and off course if that happens wait from Microsoft to reveal something that they didn’t in their event just to steal their thunder.

On the other hand Sony got so little time to show even what is scheduled( for ps3,Psp and Move) that i really wonder if there is any room(time) for surprises left.

@31 Doesn’t the Kojima countdown stop at the same day of Sony’s event?