First Bodycount trailer makes Michael Bay proud

Saturday, 12th June 2010 09:58 GMT By Nathan Grayson

bodycount2

Some people build sandcastles. Others knock them down. Bodycount is definitely a game for the latter type of person. In Bodycount, your gun is the bull, and everyone and everything around you is the china shop. If you can see it, it can be broken or blown to smithereens by anything from a bullet to a cool summer breeze.

Who said Black 2 was canceled? As far as we’re concerned, it’s still alive, kicking, and exploding violently. Check out the first Bodycount trailer after the break, courtesy of GameTrailers.

1. Gekidami

Tip: If your pre-alpha looks this bad, dont bother showing it.

That made me dry heave.

2. AHA-Lambda

i always love impartial journalism :)

you cant say it looks shit even if you think cos from what i’ve seen the reception to this trailer has been almost universally mediocre or worse.

Including myself, it looks pretty bleh

3. SplatteredHouse

Very ho-hum. Almost meh, really. :(

4. Freek

The concept is there. Looks like Black 2 in gameplay style, but eveything else is still pretty rough. Diden’t they only start development on this earlier this year? Why even show it?

5. SplatteredHouse

There’s that rogue “Hot” tag, again :P Unless your expectations are slipping, VG?

6. Freek

One could argue that a dissapointing trailer for a hyped game is also hot news. Hot in the sense of “what the hell is going on here???”.

7. Robo_1

It’s the follow up to Black alright…. exploding barrels anyone?

8. SplatteredHouse

@Freek: Hot, used as a tool of marketing? That’s how it is. Understandable. But, I’d far prefer to see it used sparingly to highlight items that really caught the attention and piqued the interest of the article writer, that they genuinely believe is worth the reader’s TIME to investigate.

9. LePlatypus

That was just…………. bad

10. Tomo

Aye, it looks balls. Fair enough, it’s pre-alpha, but it just looks so generic. Got 6/10 written all over it I think.

11. polygem

ouch!…loved black!…don´t mess this up!…improve! why did they show this? maybe it´s just some egocentric mr. black habitus…and he wants us all to trashtalk about this game just to blow us away with the final version and laugh out loud at our astonished faces. i hope and i would love that.

12. marijnlems

Would Mr. Grayson care to respond to the gulf between his own apparent enjoyment of this trailer and its critical reception by us, his audience? If I wanted to read breathless hype unrelated to the quality of the product, I’d go and read the press release.

13. Dean

Looks lukewarm at best. But hey, what the hell.. VG247 love doing articles about Bodycount and Stuart ‘Fucking’ Black. Maybe ‘Hot’ is an just indicator of potential ad revenue from the title?

14. Raining_Upwards

Please stop the hyperbole concerning this title.

It looks shit.

15. Patrick Garratt

@13 – Oh, come on. It’s a game about shooting people made by a swearing man. But yeah, this doesn’t exactly look the best right now.

16. Erthazus

You know, someone saying that i’m saying too much about how the gameS looks like shit. Because some Toilet washer/Street sweeper and Halo fanboys exagerating too much about how every fucking game is awesome.

Exactly. It looks like shit.

Except NOT.

It looks like a crisp shiny Horse crap straight from the Xbox 1 with the next generaton of shaders, filters and some shadows (so it could look somehow like next gen). Even if this is an alpha stage, the next stage is beta and it will be the last part where they can do something about it. One thing they can do is to patch it and maybe add some lightning to it (that it really need some).

This looks so bad… I mean BAD. Or this is looks like a last generation of RAGE.

17. Robo_1

I do appreciate what you’re saying, but I find the unrelenting optimism and genuine excitability of the articles one of VG247′s most endearing features. There’s no fanboyism or snideness in the copy, the articles all just reflect a total love of gaming.

Sure, I wouldn’t call it rigidly objective journalism, but then it’s a news site, not a reviews or previews site and it’s their job to get people excited about the latest goings on in the industry.

I’d be loathed to see that giddy excitement which is inherent in many of the articles, substituted for chin stroking cynicism… I’ve got Edge online for that. :)

18. Nathan Grayson

@12 – Because I don’t like to make a habit out of tearing apart games that aren’t even close to finished. Yeah, the game looks generic. And could my use of Michael Bay – of all directors – in the title be considered a back-handed compliment? Maybe :)

Regardless, I was a bit long-winded, but I didn’t intend to hype the game. If I meant to convey two points, they were thus: 1) shit blows up, 2) it looks like Black.

Hope that clears things up.

19. Armitage Shanks

Movement looks so loose and i dunno, floaty i guess id call it.I know this is early footage and all but….as has been said above generic is the only word that comes to mind.

20. ybfelix

Wonder what pushed this resurgence of “pure” shooter?

21. manamana

Dunno, but Codemasters better stick to racinggames.
    BTW this is how a Trailer is made:

22. marijnlems

@17 & @18

You’re both right, I shouldn’t have singled Mr. Grayson out. I’m just saying: maybe this kind of “giddy optimism” should be used more sparingly. If you say things like “you have to wonder why they even bothered showing this, it’s so unfinished” every once in a while, it means a lot more when you do get excited over a title.
    And Mr. Grayson: you’re right, you weren’t overenthusiastic in your article, it’s just that this trailer deserved a straight-up negative approach (I mean, I haven’t seen a single positive comment yet).

23. Dimacorgan

Well, at this point this game looks just meh… I still hope they can put up a general improvement (I kinda enjoyed Black back then), even though putting in that black guy with facepaint à la Brink ain’t exactly what I am talking about…

24. endgame

w8 a sec. no PC version? really?

25. Robo_1

The worst thing is that Sean Black was saying how stale and shit the genre had become in recent years. I do hope he’s got a lot more to back his words up.. also, I hope they fix the hideous amount of screen tear.

26. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ummmmmmm……..agree with #1. They shouldn’t have shown this. Looks almost “Wii-ish” at this point.

27. SaintRasmus

It will probably drown in the sea of standard shooters.

28. Gekidami

Can you drown a drop of water?

29. Artheval_Pe

no PC version? really?
    That says a lot.

Anyway, it’s pre-alpha, so nothing is finished right now and perhaps they will have some time to polish this up.

But ! It’s slow, the destruction doesn’t look very exciting, the Glados-like voice sound stupid and it looks pretty damn boring overall. It’s a FPS ! It should be fast, intense and exhilarating. Even though the editing is good, it doesn’t look anything but slow and boring (yes, I am repeating myself !).

(And I am a guy with a very high tolerance for boring stuff such as books by Emile Durkheim)

@ Nathan Grayson : Well, Mr Bay’s movies are stupid, poorly shot and full of crap, but they are at least intense at times. Maybe I’m wrong but bodycound doesn’t look intense nor fast-paced to me.

“First Bodycount trailer makes Uwe Boll proud” => That kind of headline would make Codemasters PR department pretty angry :D

30. xino

@1 exactly:/

31. LordCancer

probably why everyones so up set is that it doesn’t have iron sites and its not called cod… if those games are to be the basis of what is judge as quality shooter then the word of gamers and journalist is utter poppycock.

PRE-ALPHA, can I make this any bigger? I hope they don’t change too much because of the ridiculous backlash from the community. Last thing I want is another cod clone.

I think its great when a developer lets you in like this so you can see where a game is at and how it progresses. The biggest complaint is that its generic? have one look at the pot calling the kettle black why don’t ya.

Bodycount needs work, stating its pre-alpha in the video acknowledges that much. I think theres potential and it looks better then cod/clone even at this stage.