Warner announces Mortal Kombat for 2011 for PS3, 360

Thursday, 10th June 2010 14:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

mortal kombat

Warner’s just formally announced Mortal Kombat for a 2011 release on PS3 and Xbox 360.

The game’s being developed at NetherRealm Studios, under the leadership of series creator Ed Boon.

“We can’t wait for players to get their hands on Mortal Kombat,” said Boon. “This game really is a response to what players have been demanding: mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!”

The reboot of the series “marks a triumphant return to the series’ mature presentation”, according to the PR, with a reintroduction of the 2D fighting mechanic from the series.

As well as 1vs1 battles, there is now the introduction of a tag team mode, plus “the deepest story mode of any fighting game”.

The game will also have online, with Warner calling it “the most extensive online experience ever seen in a fighting game”, with up to four players in a tag-team battle, plus a co-op Arcade Mode for up to two players.

Press release is below.

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment Announces Mortal Kombat

Brutal Fighting Game Created By Original Game Developer With New Name – NetherRealm Studios

For PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system from Microsoft

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Mortal Kombat, the most brutal instalment of the landmark fighting game to date for release on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft in 2011. Mortal Kombat is being developed by the newly re-named NetherRealm Studios, led by Mortal Kombat creator and creative director Ed Boon.

The newest chapter of the iconic fight franchise marks a triumphant return to the series’ mature presentation and a reinvention of its classic 2D fighting mechanic. Driven by an all new graphics engine, the fan favourite Fatality is back and presented in more gory detail than ever before. In addition, Mortal Kombat introduces a number of new game-play features including tag team and the deepest story mode of any fighting game. Players can choose from an extensive line up of the game’s iconic warriors and challenge their friends in traditional 1 vs. 1 matches, or take on several new game modes.

“We are bringing the Mortal Kombat franchise back to gamers with the talented NetherRealm Studios team creating the game fans long to play,” said Martin Tremblay, President, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment. “Re-establishing the brand with Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, Mortal Kombat innovates on past games while staying true to the brand’s legendary characters and fighting style.”

“We can’t wait for players to get their hands on Mortal Kombat,” said Ed Boon, Creative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “This game really is a response to what players have been demanding: mature presentation, reinvented 2D fighting mechanic and the best, most gruesome fatalities ever!”

Mortal Kombat introduces a number of new game modes as well as the most extensive online experience ever seen in a fighting game. Up to four players can battle “tag-team”- two players can team up in the new “Co-op Arcade Mode” or compete against another team online.

1. Raining_Upwards

‘Reinvented 2D fighting mechanic’.

I like the sound of that.

2. theevilaires

This is good, but we really need new fighting IP.

3. YoungZer0

I wonder if it has any similarities to the short film we saw.

4. Alakratt

Yes!!!! Can’t wait to see what they come up with!

5. Yoshi

So will there be a movie or not! I want that movie! XD

6. The_Red

FUCK YEAH. My MK is BACK!

7. mington

laaaaaaaaaaame

will i be pumping over 300 hours into this like i have SF4…i seriously doubt it

i can see it now
    Pre order bonus character…the puppet from saw

8. OlderGamer

300 hours into SF4? Damn bud, thats crazy right there. I used to love fighters, but I don’t think I used to get anywhere near that amount.

Remind me not to challange you you anytime soon.

Btw, did you take a peak at the NEOGEO Battle Collosium on XBLA? Looks good to me.

9. DarkElfa

@7, The fact that you’ve wasted 300 hours on SF4 neutralizes the effectiveness of your opinion.

…Finish him!!

10. MegaGeek1

How awesome would a game based on this movie be? A complete re-imagining of the franchise still firmly based on MK lore. They could make a game so twisted and so violent that it would re-ignite the controversy that made the original so unique and timeless. In a industry plagued with Halos, Rock bands and LBPs, Im sure Im not alone in saying that I would sell my first born to see a movie and game tie-in that live up to the potential of this one little 7 minute teaser.

I posted that the other night. Please please please be true!!

11. DarkElfa

@10, Well said.

12. mington

@8 i’ve got neogeo battle collosium on my ps2, but the loading times were horrendous so i didn’t play it much. i gave the trial a quick go last night and i think i might get it again at some point, its a really fleshed out title.

the trials a bit of an unfair representation of the game i felt as those two new characters they made purely for the game are a little shit (well i don’t like them much), they should’ve stuck marko from metal slugs in the trial because he’s AMAZING :D

As for sf4, this is 300 hours over the past year mind, spread out its not that much :/ i played it for a couple hours last night. the sad thing is i’m not even that good :( i recently bought the 6 button fightpad as i was getting a bit annoyed with my joystick and i always used to blame it for losing….but i’m just as shit with the pad so i’ve go no excuses now…….apart from the d-pad is fucking enormous!! stupid pad, i long for the days of the mega drive six button

13. OlderGamer

I did the bulk of my console fighting on Sega Saturn. I had a modded US system and imported a butt load of Capcom and SNK games. I liked their pad, and now I use the Capcom fighter pad(PS2), but if you can get a well built stick(I like my SNK arcade stick for the NeoGeo), but I can’t stomach droping the cash they are asking for some of the sticks today. I mean 140plus? Crazy.

Fighters are something I enjoy here and there nowa days. I am looking forward to MVC3. I will take a look at the new MK, but I never got into MKs machanics.

As far as playing a fighter online .. that is where you fully understand how good(or in my case, how bad) you really are. Some players are so good, you swear they are cheating.

14. Alakratt

New MK trailer!!!

15. Gekidami

Meh’tal Kombat.

16. mington

@13 Yeah the saturn pad was good too. Alpha 2 innit and children of the atom

i’m just not quick or precise enough with the stick, you think i would’ve got the hang of it by now. but i’ve always got a doubt in my mind the move wont come out properly.

Blanka is my cheat character, i’ve got like a 95% win ratio, but i like to mix it up, i’ve been using C viper a lot this week….and losing a lot this week :(

i think i’m probably selling myself a little short here, but most people online are really good, they’ve got all there intricate perfectly timed combos down pat. I shouldn’t have taken that six month hiatus between SF4 and SSF4 :P

17. mington

@14 that looks better then i imagined, mabay i’ve been a little harsh. looks like they’ve taken the SF4 approach, it looks like a current gen redo of MK2 or 3.

I fucking loved that hat guy :D

18. Alakratt

@17 Kung Lao, me too!!! That fatality looks fucking sick!!!
    Have to admit, it looks very MK2-ish, the character designs, the stages. I would’ve like them to use those designs that their former artist posted on the net months ago. Anyway, still looks good though.

19. YoungZer0

E3 Announcement Trailer is out. Nothing like the short film.

Looks like all previous Mortal Kombat games. Pity.

20. mington

@19 i’m quite glad they’ve gone back to there routes, although the charter design in the first place wasn’t particularly good, but if they changed how they looked and the fighting mechanics it might as well be a brand new IP.

They’ve got that bullshit red indian guy back, LOL, worst character design ever (i’m gonna double check)

they’ve changed him, he doesn’t look to bad now :)

21. mington

LOLZ

He looks like one of the village people. Why has he got holes in the side of his trousers?…Maybe he is one of the village people :P

22. MegaGeek1

Would someone be so kind as to YouTube link that trailer so I can watch it at work on my iPhone?

23. SplatteredHouse

here (in HD) or here for a iphone/android version of it – from TRMK.
    /tips serrated hat :)

24. MegaGeek1

You sir are a king among men.

25. Spaced Oddity

Hey Warner, or whoever bought the rights to the NFL Blitz franchise! How about doing me a solid by putting the original NFL Blitz on PSN? I have been jonzing for some classic hardcore arcade football action for awhile.

MK hasn’t interested me since Ultimate MK3, which was the shit back in the day.

26. deanimate

Wow, actually looks pretty good. And 2D fighting? None of that horrible, rubbish 3D crap? If so then that is a HUGE bonus to the series. If I ever get a PS3 I would probably get this if it ends up a decent game.

Would be great to re-live some of those MK2 days :D

27. Galactic_Barret

I would really rather have the movie. Michael Jai White as Jax? Better than MK they could give us.

28. Nelius

Dam! Just seen that trailer and am impressed. I am glad NetherRealm have decided to draw more from MK2 than any of the other sequels. The character and level art should look great with current gen tech! Can’t wait!

The return to 2D fighting was a good move.

I hope the basic moves aren’t too complex as in Deception. The draw of MK in the early days was the simplicity of the combat system.

29. ExclusivesMostly

@9- lol

30. ianbenoir

NEIN! NEIN! NEIN!!!!!!!!!
    LOOKS CRAPPY!!! they’ll never learn.
    MK was a success because it was realistic, after it became this plastic 3D style its just a bloodish “Rag Doll Kung Fu”.
    I want Realism back, not this plastic thing.
    If it’s a mature game, than make it MATURE…… ARRRRGH