Sony UK boss says he’s “not too fussed” about comments from competitors

Thursday, 10th June 2010 20:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

raymaguire

Sony UK boss Ray Maguire has said that he is very “pleased” with Sony’s first-party titles, and that he is not “too fussed about the competitive bits or people’s comments” regarding such matters.

Speaking with Edge during a look at Sony’s 3D press briefing today, Maguire’s comment stems from the site’s request for a response to a statement Aaron Greenberg made yesterday regarding Halo 3 outselling some of Sony’s major titles.

“Well I’m really happy with [the titles] because as I said, we’re selling more than we ever have done before,” he replied.

“Secondly, I’m not too fussed about the competitive bits or people’s comments because at the end of the day, I’ve only got my focus, and that is giving consumers a great experience and great content and I don’t care what anybody else does.

“If we are doing that and if we are measured by the enjoyment and the engagement that we have with our consumers and we can have a successful business then that’s what it will be.

“Our DNA is about innovation and giving people technology that they didn’t even realize they needed at the time, and about pushing the envelope”.

Sony pushed the envelope yesterday, when it rolled out it’s latest firmware update for PS3, which allows those with 3D capable televisions to play games implementing the format – which Maguire said makes it “one third of the way through the journey of where we’ll get to with PS3″.

More through the links.

1. Erthazus

This is why i give a credit to Sony.

“Do your job and stop Trolling on twitter!”

2. Razor

It’s a shame he didn’t acknowledge that the figures prove that the US is where Sony need to step it up.

Although 1), he probably already knows that and 2), he’s the UK boss, so he doesn’t care :P

3. G1GAHURTZ

If he’s truly not fussed, he’s not doing his job properly.

4. Erthazus

@3 So he rather say here: Oh Greenberg? Pffff…. Gran Turismo series sold better then Halo series.

He is doing his job. Normal people won’t sit and troll on twitter about sales and why he must be fussed if games that they sell are successfull?

5. reask

Well its no different than your politician been asked a question about the latest opinion poll going against them and saying its just a snapshot.
    Of course I am not implying the same scenario but my point been there job is to be positive no matter what.

6. spooks

Sounds like Microsoft know they are REALLY on the back foot….

Rather embarrassing for Aaron Greenberg is that every single PS3 game he mentioned is WAY BETTER than the Halo franchise.

All he has managed to do, is highlight how brainwashed American gamers are, and how quality and sales figures are totally unconnected.

Not contempt with highlighting the stupidity of his followers, he goes one further by using ONLY NPD data, which only tracks US sales, which conveniently for him, is the only region where the Xbox brand is strongest and the PS3 brand the weakest. Had he looked at global numbers it would have painted a very different picture.

Any sane person will look upon Greenberg’s trash talking with the laughable contempt it deserves.

7. Gekidami

He’s not fussed about the ‘competitors comments’. Its not his job to sling mud. I doubt its Greenbergs either, but we all know he’s abit of a dick.

8. reask

Hard to argue against that point on Greenberg. :)

9. StaceyEmerson

@1 agreed

10. G1GAHURTZ

@7:

Like I said. If he’s truly not fussed, then there’s a big problem.

One of your main competitors, who you used to dwarf in terms of sales, comes out and tells the world that it can make more money from a single game than you did from ALL OF YOUR GAMES and you don’t care??

Well, it’s not just gamers who hear that statement, but devs too.

How are you ever going to get a big exlcusive again when people can up and point out how comparitively feebly all your exclusives sell??

Who’s going to prioritise your system on a multi-platform game, when the competitor’s system simply sells more games, be they good or bad??

It’s his job to get out there, or send someone else out there to convince every single person who pays his wages and the wages of every other Sony employee that if the PS3 isn’t No.1 now, then it WILL be before you can blink!

That doesn’t necessitate “mud slinging”. But just trying to ignore the fact that your system’s sales are comparitively pathetic isn’t very profeesional.

11. zoopdeloop

Sony shows dignity most of the times and i like it…until one of their reps step up and begin his trash talk and ruins it (once in a blue moon)…unlike Microsoft which trash talk for their competitors is something very common

12. Cort

1. Who mentioned money or profits? Greenberg didn’t: he spoke of unit sales.
    2. All of Sony’s games? ALL? Greenberg cherry-picked some; some which fit his argument.
    3. Others have done some number-crunching and found it only works if you include ODST. So “a single game” it isn’t.

Let’s deal with the facts here.

(Edited)

13. G1GAHURTZ

OK, so he mentioned sales, not profits. However, sales genrally translate into profits in the non-pedantic world of people with brains.

OK, so not ALL of Sony’s games… But we’re he’s still looking at THREE supposed “Halo killer”s, one supposedly generation benchmarking game and two not so poorly reviewed “big hitters”.

The point still stands. For all of these games combined to still not manage to outsell ONE MS game is just another example of how MS is running it’s business very well at the moment.

EDIT: OK, lets deal with the facts… Lets start with not mentioning “others” and what they “worked out”. All I see is Someone mentiong Halo 3, NOT Halo 3 and ODST combined.

14. Cort

;o)

15. Cort

I love how when G1GA talks utter and complete bollocks, misquotes and plucks “facts” out of the air, he’s still absolutely right. Reminds me of one of the reasons why I quit posting, and why I was foolish to start again.

Thanks for reminding me, G1GA. No seriously, thanks.

16. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!!

What, Agent, which was signed as an exclusive ages ago?

Good call, Cort! Well done boy.

17. JimFear666

This guy is really classy compared to the microsoft puppet Aron greenburg

18. G1GAHURTZ

You know what Cort, why don’t you do us all a favour and get lost again?

I see you still feel upset at every single thing that I post, so this clearly isn’t the place for you.

Fool.

19. Aimless

Halo 3 is an outlier that was backed by the biggest/most expensive marketing plan the games industry has ever seen. I’m not disparaging the game — it’s great — but it’s hardly representative of the performance of the rest of Microsoft’s other titles.

Generally 360 exclusives do about the same amount of business as Sony’s. Unfortunately for us all that tends to translate to, “Not as much as they deserve.” Hell, last generation a million copies sold was considered a huge triumph, but now according to the internet Uncharted 2 has apparently ‘failed’ despite selling over three times that. By that metric we’ve probably seen about 10 successful games on the HD consoles.

20. Cort

You know what Cort, why don’t you do us all a favour and get lost again?

You know, I was about to (see #15). But since you ask, I think I’ll stay. Sorry to disappoint you and everyone else at VG247 who have apparently appointed you as their sole representative and spokesman.

21. theevilaires

Cort NO! don’t leave!

22. G1GAHURTZ

But which ones? Sure, if you compare something like Forza with KZ2, then they are going to be comparible.

But when you compare like for like, you see where MS certainly seems to have something to shout about.

If you take another like for like in Gears vs Uncharted, then the sales are totally in MS’s favour too.

The only place where Sony will probably totally destroy MS looks like being with Forza vs GT.

So I don’t think that it’s unfair to compare Sony exclusives with Halo, because in doing so, you’re almost saying that Sony hasn’t tried to replicate Halo’s success.

It’s like saying, ‘MS put $Xm into Halo 3′s advertising, but Sony just don’t want to do that with any of their games, and MS don’t want to do it again either…’ which doesn’t seem right to me.

23. G1GAHURTZ

Get lost Cort.

You’re a moron. I know you have nothing better to do with your life than get upset at my comments, which is why you came back.

24. spooks

“Greenberg compared a list of games that included no less than 3 titles that Sony had put forward as being Halo killers”

And every single one of them kicks halos ass in terms of quality. It’s a shame so many American gamers believe what Microsoft tell them, and miss out on these games.

Honestly, what gamer cares about sales numbers? I care about quality titles, and PS3 delivers ample amounts of them….

End of….

25. Cort

Yes, I’ve spent the last several months of my life thinking about you. And I realised I can’t live without being upset at you. So I came back to be upset at you and to always be proved wrong by you.

You are a unbalanced narcissist. Many here have suggested it, you’ve just proved it.

26. G1GAHURTZ

The sad thing is that this is completely true.

You are an idiotic moron with no life and nothing better to do than throw childish ad hominem gibberish around when you are repeatedly “proved wrong”.

27. Erthazus

@Giga you really are that stupid ain’t you? Go and finish Driv3r. That piece of dogshit needs some work.

Everytime people say something you talk shit about them.

“Greenberg compared a list of games that included no less than 3 titles that Sony had put forward as being Halo killers, yet none of them could compete. These are similar games competing for the same gamers.”

Ok for fuck sake, prooflinks in where Sony said that Uncharted 2, God Of War 3 and Resistance 1-2 are Halo killers? From Sony mouth please. Interview or news, don’t matter.

“If you take another like for like in Gears vs Uncharted, then the sales are totally in MS’s favour too”

and the install base is bigger about 5 million on the xbox 360

“It’s like saying, ‘MS put $Xm into Halo 3’s advertising, but Sony just don’t want to do that with any of their games, and MS don’t want to do it again either…’ which doesn’t seem right to me.”

It’s called a BET. Why Forza didn’t sold such as GT series? It’s because it’s not a phenomenon. Phenomenon is not the best game of all time, it’s just these games such as your shitty Call Of Duty or Halo 3 had a perfect timing with marketing and franchise recognition. A perfect timing for that franchise.
    Forza 3 maybe is not better then GT 5 and maybe less cars then from the previous GT games, but in this generation until GT5 this is the best Racing simulation game available on consoles and still it does not sell like hot cakes.

It’s like Holywood. Some movies fails with sales and they are good and some movies have a success with sales.

Sony had an absolutely amazing success with it’s exclusives. Uncharted 2 was the fastest selling Playstation exclusive for example.

+ for your stupid brain. Halo 3 is 3-4 YEARS OLD. God Of War 3 was released at last march and it still sells, Uncharted 2 was released last year and it’s still sells. So comparing these titles is absolutely stupid and people see it.

@Cort Don’t leave mate.

28. G1GAHURTZ

@27:

Sorry, but I can only be bothered to argue with one idiot at a time.

You’ll have to come back another day.

29. Cort

So, when I prove you are wrong four times in twenty minutes, it’s actually me who’s repeatedly being proved wrong, and you’re right all along?

- You said “money”. No, it was sales. Wrong.

- You said it was “all” of Sony’s games. No it wasn’t, it was some, arbitrarily chosen. Wrong.

- You claim no-one will give Sony an exclusive because of their low sales. No, Agent is just one example of a third party exclusive, there are others. You say Agent doesn’t count because it was agreed ages ago. But haven’t the PS3′s game sales ALWAYS been low when compared to the 360, including whenever Agent would have been signed on? Wrong.

- You claim no-one will prioritise PS3. No, some devs are leading on PS3, some are giving PS3 exclusive content. Wrong.

You’re a serial fantasist. Boy, do you have issues.

30. dirigiblebill

Right old gang of raging divas, you lot. Take a look out the window, get some perspective.

31. G1GAHURTZ

FAIL.

1. I made a natural and completely correct implication, but made no quote. Anyone with a brain who wasn’t desperate to stoop to pedantry in order to engage in his psychotic agenda to cry about every single comment that I make about Sony could see that.

2. Yep, I exaggerated, and I was wrong. Well done boy.

3. “You claim no-one will give Sony an exclusive” no-one? Did I really say NO-ONE??? Are you sure Cort? You’re making yourself look silly now… How exactly does “How are you ever going to get a BIG exlcusive again” translate into “no-one will give Sony an exclusive“??

Moron.

4. tut, tut! There you go running away with that “no-one” lie again! Idiot.

Face the facts, you’re stupid, and showing how stupid you are is child’s play.

32. Cort

You are absolutely hilarious.

33. Aimless

@22 You can’t compare like-for-like because where the games aren’t divergent their circumstances are. That was rather my point: Halo 3 is a special case, both due to its innate position of being the first 360 entry in one of gaming’s most loved and best franchises and the sheer amount of marketing it received.

Here’s a comparison that isn’t like-for-like either, but it does offer a bit of perspective: the first Uncharted (possibly the second, too, but I don’t know the ultimate figure for that) cost around $20 million to make. The advertising campaign for Halo 3 is estimated to have cost around $40 million, the game itself around $30 million.

That is not me saying that Halo 3 didn’t make money as it made a fortune, the point is that it was a one-off. Microsoft knew they were going to make money on the game, so they invested heavily in it which was a smart move. Other games are not so lucky.

No doubt you’re going to ask me for examples, so here are some Microsoft published games that have yet to break a million sales: Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Viva Pinata 2, Amped 3, Kameo, Lips, Too Human, Shadowrun and probably some others but I think you get the point.

Now before you start breaking down that list of games to tell me why they don’t count — a few of them are rubbish — please understand that I’m not accusing Microsoft of being a bad publisher; no doubt you could come up with a similar list of ‘under performing’ Sony published games. The entire crux of my argument is that Halo 3 is not representative of your average game, Microsoft published or otherwise. Heralding it as a yardstick for success, and proof that Microsoft are on some other level is disingenuous. And, ultimately, pointless: if sales are the only measure of quality and success then Nintendo makes everyone else’s output irrelevant.

34. G1GAHURTZ

No, that’s nervous laughter, Cort.

35. G1GAHURTZ

@33:

I think that what people like myself don’t understand is why Sony wouldn’t just go and put the same marketing money behind one of their titles.

For example, KZ2. It was hyped from E3 2005 all the way up until it’s release. It looks better than Halo 3, and even though I’ve only played the demo, I’d probably still stand on the side that says that it’s a better game than Halo 3.

So lets just say that Sony are convinced that this game is better than Halo 3 in every department. Why wouldn’t they take the precedent that MS set and pump $40m into the marketing? I’m no marketing expert, but if this ‘$$$’s = units sold’ equation is to be believed, then they would have certainly made their money back, surely? That being the case, I’m not sure that I’d agree with the idea that they only had a ‘finite pot of money’ to split between games.

I’m not saying that Halo 3 is the better game by any means. I have it, had to almost force myself to finish it, and have hardly played it since.

I just wonder why MS can take an above average game and turn it into a system selling, mega title, but Sony can’t do the same with games which are better.

Which goes back to my point. If this guy looks at the facts that his competitor is bringing and isn’t fussed, then essentially, what he’s saying is ‘MS have shown us how to take an above average game and break records, but we’re happy where we are right now.’

So how many units would KZ2 have sold if MS had Guerilla and Sony had Bungie? When you think about it that way, surely you can see that Sony are missing a trick here…

36. Cort

Aimless, there’s something else: all this applies to the US only. Outside of the US, far from being ahead of all those games combined, I think that Halo 3 isn’t a huge distance ahead of Resistance: Fall of Man and possibly about even with a demo of GT5 (I’m trying to find solid figures). So is this about marketing and/or game quality, or is it about cultural preference and/or the install base/launch date advantage in the US market?

37. G1GAHURTZ

I think out of my backside that Halo 3 isn’t a huge distance ahead of Resistance

Fixed.

Yeah, let’s all wait for Cort’s imaginary “figures”… LOL!

38. Aimless

@35 To be honest I think it largely comes down to the fact that Microsoft can afford it. Not that they have unlimited funds to play with — the Xbox division will be operating within a set budget — but as a larger company they are far more secure than Sony. So, the former might think, “Halo is a big deal, let’s go all-in and up the stakes so we can win big.” Meanwhile SCE would be thinking, “The first Killzone was fairly well received but not that many people played it, so let’s not bet the farm on the sequel when we could use that money to create an entirely new franchise.”

In short, Sony are playing it safer at the cost of more potential winnings; security over potential profit. The more established a franchise the less risky it is, so I think you’ll see Sony step up its marketing campaign for GT5 as that is a sure-fire hit; due to the release of Prologue I believe the game has already broken even. I would hope you’ll see Killzone 3 pushed much harder than its predecessor too, as whilst it might not have been a runaway success 2 largely created a fanbase, giving Sony something to build upon with some amount of confidence. Not the 10/10s Halo‘s forebears received, perhaps, but a more solid footing nonetheless.

It initially seems counter-intuitive to reserve the most marketing for what are already the biggest hitters, but videogames are so hit-driven these days that it makes more sense to build up select franchises as large as possible, reap the rewards and then use that to fund everything else.

Basically I see GT5 as Sony’s Halo 3: a well-proven franchise from the previous generation that would probably still sell if it was an empty box. God knows they’ve put off releasing it for long enough — could be they’ve been biding their time for maximum profit, perhaps the development has actually been troubled — but in the meantime they have done a good job of preparing new franchises: MotorStorm, Resistance, inFamous, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet are all new this generation, and with that many horses to bet on you have wonder how badly they can lose.

(Cue them screwing it up royally…)

39. Boris Fett

They do. It’s called Gran Turismo.

40. Cort

Will be interesting to see if GT5 can sell more than Forza 2 & 3 (“GT killers”) and PGR 3 & 4 combined…….

41. Cort

Aimless, you highlight a key risk in MS’ strategy. Where are their new first party IPs? Maybe they’ve bet the farm on Natal and casual gamers.

42. Aimless

Well, quite.

Forza‘s a great racer, Fable‘s decent, Crackdown can be taken places and Gears of War should be good for a few more outings¹. Reach is going to be big, but it’s hard to say where Halo will go without Bungie. It all gets a bit third-party after that…

Then again, that’s probably enough. It’s not all about first-party games and Microsoft’s biggest strength is probably Live anyway. PSN has come a long way since launch, but even if it leapfrogged Microsoft’s service — I think you’ll see upgrades to both at E3 — people will still flock to where their friends are.

¹I believe Microsoft’s publishing deal only holds for 3 games. Theoretically you could see the series on PS3 after that, but I imagine Microsoft would strike a new deal.

43. G1GAHURTZ

@38:

Yeah, I can certainly see Sony setting themselves limits and identifying MS’s Halo 3 spend as one that they’re just not willing to compete with. However, I’d have to question the validity of that being a good long term strategy.

Surely that’s what all business is about… Buying and selling until you’re the biggest buyer and the biggest seller. Naturally, being one of the largest companies in the world, I’m sure that no-one needs to tell Sony about business. In this instance, I’d include marketing spend as part of ‘buying’ along with the cost of running studios, etc.

So if we identify Sony as using a safe and steady business model where they only spend the big money on the guaranteed sales, then we can also identify MS, it’s main competitor, as being the opposite of that.

So we’ve got MS who spend big money on the likes of Halo and Gears as well as big money to get the one time exlcusives (GTA, FF, MGS et al). They spend big money on the Gears 1 (new IP) marketing and shift ~6m units (by 2008) for example.

Then we’ve got Sony who haven’t shown anywhere near as much marketing muscle this generation. They shift big numbers and make profits minimise their losses, but not on the scale of MS. (I’m sure that they would have been profits if not for the hardware losses.)

So far, this strategy has seen them go from clear market leader to vying for 2nd place, losing a lot of money in the process.

I can certainly see that it’s possible that as a more reserved Japanese company, Sony might have made a concious decision not to compete with MS’s gung-ho, typically western, capitalistic (sorry Bill!) marketing might, but it’s not helping them get back to where they were during the days of the PS2.

They need to start spending that money and selling those units, or by the time the next generation comes around, they could get left behind.

You’re right about GT being Sony’s Halo. The amount of units it shifts for a car game is almost ridiculous… If they’re ever going to spend big this generation, it’s got to be on that.

44. Aimless

Well, I suspect if Sony was in an obvious lead this generation they might be doing as you suggest. They totally misjudged the launch of the PS3 — for the first year or so the machine was out there was pretty much no reason not to buy a 360 instead — so I’d say they tripped over their own arrogance and are only now really dusting themselves off.

In a funny way Sony are partly responsible for the success of the 360: if the PS3 hadn’t been such a balls up the RROD might have left Microsoft’s machine on life support. Don’t get me wrong the 360 is a great machine which has pushed gaming forward as a whole, but it owes a lot to Sony’s early ineptitude masking its own.

Bringing things back on track, the point is that Sony have spent most of this generation licking their wounds whilst Microsoft has been swelling with new-found success. Given that situation it’s not too hard to see why one might act more conservative than the other, at least as far as money’s concerned.

Anyway, I wouldn’t say Microsoft’s business model is in any way opposite. They got behind Gears early which was an excellent move, but it wasn’t particularly daring: the game couldn’t be more targeted at the 360′s primary demographic. It was a very calculated risk. Likewise things like buying the GTAIV episodes: that wasn’t about taking a risk on something new, it was about undermining the competition by ‘laying claim’ to what were thought of as PlayStation brands.

If we then look at Microsoft’s attempts to capture the wider market — Viva Pinata, Nuts & Bolts, Lips, etc — it all seems a bit half-hearted. B-K in particular was pretty much sent to die despite secretly being a really good core game, probably because it’s a hard game to market.

Of course now they’re seemingly going all-in with Natal, probably the largest risk this side of the Wii; it’s hard to say how that’s going to pan out, at least prior to E3. However things are resolved, the move suggests to me that Microsoft aren’t too confident, or at least not content, with carrying on as they were. So, clearly someone agrees with you that it isn’t a viable long-term business model, at least with two consoles fighting over the same space.

45. Galactic_Barret

Also remember that Sony has to create multiple new IPs to replace past dead franchises from PS1->PS2 days. So, to get a new batch of multi-generational IPs, they created a created/funded a bunch of new games, sprinkled ads between them, and saw what stuck (UC1, LBP, MS, iNF) or what sunk (UTL, HS, Lair, FKL, etc).

You’ll also notice that, with each successful iteration in a series, they up the advertisements. That would seem to be a smarter decision in the long run. Then, every so often you get a legacy sequel (R&C, GT, Ico series, etc), so you always have a little something to fall back on and satisfy long-term consumers.

Which is exactly what they are doing, meaning hes doing his job well. Goodwill goes a long way with gamers, I would like to think.

46. polygem

What the hell is wrong about greenberg talking abot sales??? Got no problem with that.Its part of his job isnt it. They all do. Sony uk guy just did it as well. He just didnt had that unbelieveable news so he defends himself. Cheap. Hypocrites.

47. Galactic_Barret

Let me just get this off my chest since its relevant.

When did the suspicion that every corporation is a money fiend come from? I mean, I understand that its there job to make money, but couldn’t “consumer satisfaction” be just as high on the list? At the end of the day his job is to create software that their audience responds to. I bet they would love to title in an active genre as popular as Halo, but could it ever be possible that he isn’t worried about getting theirs and instead does mean what he says? I would like to think that these companie’s recent extra attention to the quality of their titles would give them some benefit-of-the-doubt amongst gamers.

Truly, had this been any development group independent of a console, barring maybe Acti/EA, a statement like this would hold get more kudos than dissection, and I’m failing to understand why. Can we not believe that, maybe, the management of all the console manufacturers could love doing their job as a much as earning the money?

48. Blerk

Customer satisfaction is only important in that it brings in the $$$s. I’m sure there are smaller companies who truly do wish to give their customers the best possible experience, but once you get to the size of Sony or Microsoft or Nintendo you’re basically in it for the money.

That said, what a pleasant response from Mr Maguire. Kudos for not rising to the bait!

49. Cort

It’s intentionally misleading to take the 360′s biggest game by far from its biggest IP by a country mile, compare it to a selection of PS3-only games which were chosen to fit the argument, focus only on data from the strongest by far regional market for that game and the console it is tied to, then turn round and claim it as proof of Sony’s failures to sell or promote its exclusives well. (I’m talking about the reaction to the tweet here.)

If you want to analyse the figures and make an informed judgement of performance and strength for each company, put all of MS’ exclusives against all the PS3 exclusives, and do it for global sales and not just the US market. That will give you data which are actually meaningful, rather than data which were designed to fit an argument.

50. DaMan

yawn.

‘whatever’, really? boring, I miss the iron Ken, now that guy would have something to say.

51. NiceFellow

heck this is actually boring.

Greenberg decided to stir some shit saying our megaseller outsold your decent sellers combined (‘case let’s face it there is a difference).

Sony respond that’s okay our megaseller to date has outsold yours, and our decent sellers are more or less in line with yours so we’re not fussed.

To me Greenberg’s approach just makes MS look nervous and a bit mud sligny – a stance I never like myself. Keep it cool and professional and focus on me the consumer and I’m happy.