Microsoft compares Natal to futuristic devices

Thursday, 10th June 2010 23:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natal2b1

Chris Lewis, VP of interactive entertainment business at Microsoft feels that the future is now, thanks to Natal.

According to Lewis, Natal is sort of like one of those things you saw in futuristic films. Yet, unlike those films – Natal is real, and will be here before you know it.

“Ten years ago we launched the original Xbox, and ten years on we are launching Project Natal, which will free people from the controller for gaming and entertainment,” Lewis told MCV.

“It will work with every Xbox 360 and when you get to use it across different games and entertainment experiences it really is revolutionary. We’ve all seen similar things in films set in the future, but that future is here and will be on the shelves for Christmas.”

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!

Sorry. Lost train of thought there for a moment.

Natal will be on hand at E3, and Pat will be in the audience during the reveal so we should know in about three days time just how revolutionary it will be.

Via VideoGamer.

1. blackdreamhunk

Microsoft and Sony are the worse things to happen in gaming!

2. Robster1979

and the best :-)

3. G1GAHURTZ

What about Nintendo?

Sega?

Atari?

4. Mike W

@blackdreamhunk:

So what was the best thing to happen?

5. G1GAHURTZ

Cartridges.

Going from cassette tapes to cartridges was a massive leap.

Consoles used carts when the PC was still in the dark days of the 5.25″ disc…

6. Razor

I’ll believe it when I see it.

7. manamana

Somehow I loved my Datasette and C64. So fiddling, yet so stunning. Btw. I am curious about natal, despite that fitness stuff and the minority report-like navigation. I smell something heavy. Argh, it’s Milo shitting his pants! :-D

8. MegaGeek1

Doesn’t Microsoft realize that I, like my fellow gaming brethren, am a lazy piece of dog shit? I don’t want to “lose the controller” and be forced to get off my couch and jump around. If they were smart they would invent the ULTIMATE controller that I can just shove up my ass and manipulate by farting. Sheeeeesh these guys are dumb.

9. Kysshin

Funny how they believe in that piece of junk, I sure am looking forward to their justification of Natal’s failure later on.

10. Aimless

To be honest my fear is that it is like those sci-fi devices: technology created to wow that’s ultimately impractical.

They get the benefit of the doubt until after E3, mind. I’m not sure why everyone wants it to fail so much, unless it has some seek and destroy function targeting 360 controllers that I’m unaware of.

11. onlineatron

@BDH

I completely agree.
    It was horrendous when Microsoft created the windows platform and kick started PC gaming.

12. onlineatron

Also… Microsoft need to be linked to this page on a rather amazing blog site.

13. Spaced Oddity

I don’t want Natal to fail, but I don’t think it will deliver, especially the way Microsoft is hyping it to deliver. The videos I’ve seen, especially the most recent with the Parade family flailing their arms around like they’re swatting away a plague of locusts, look ridiculous (embarrassingly, and this is coming from a guy who did Dance Dance Revolution in his underwear at night down in the lobby of my college dorm years ago). Precision looks as though it will be an issue as well. Not to mention how tiring it’s going to be. Microsoft should not ditch the controller for most applications and just do minor gesture recognition; a fair compromise.

This technology could usher in an entirely new genre of game and a new way to play, depending on how accurate the thing is and how short they fall from their original planning. All eyes will be on E3, especially mine, but I don’t have very high expectations.

14. Cort

Natal will do nothing to free people from the controller for gaming and entertainment. It’s all about the software, so MS need to have something good to show at E3. Any bets on a Natal-powered MGS?

@12 – Unfortunately, looking like a complete twat hasn’t stopped 550+ million Wii game sales.

15. NiceFellow

Great spin for

“you don’t need a controller, well apart from to play all our current bestselling titles and most current popular genres… you’ll want a controller for them. But otherwise… yeah… you’re the controller so long as it’s a simple gesture based game”

I’ve really got to change my career into PR and Marketing – they clearly have all the fun.

16. blackdreamhunk

What about Nintendo?

Sega?

Atari?

they were good for gaming