Zelnick hints at BioShock future outside of 2K Marin

Wednesday, 9th June 2010 11:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

bioshock2_360

Take Two chairman Strauss Zelnick has said that 2K studios other than 2K Marin may develop BioShock titles in future.

“We think BioShock is still one of the most important franchises in the industry,” said Zelnick during the company’s Q2 financial call last night.

“We do intend to support it; doesn’t necessarily have to be at 2K Marin, but we do intend to support the franchise.”

The comment from Zelnick may now spark speculation as to who would develop BioShock 3, following the release of BioShock 2 in February from 2K Marin, as well as the original in 2007 from Ken Levine’s Irrational Games.

Currently, it’s unknown what the main BioShock 2 team are doing at Marin, but 2K’s Australian studio that folded into the studio recently, are working on a reboot to XCOM.

Irrational, meanwhile, are working on a new IP: something which will be shown this year, according to Levine, but it’s unknown if we will see it at E3 next week.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. mington

i think they should leave Bioshock alone until the next generation.

2. The Hindle

I think Ken levines project could be shown of as soon as Friday, GT Tv hint they have a world exclusive on a legendary game designers new project.

3. Blerk

Surely he has to tell us what he’s been doing soon?

4. AHA-Lambda

@2 – thats exactly what i thought when i seen the teaser. Either that or it is david jaffe’s new game

5. Aimless

I’d be interested in another BioShock-like game set in the universe, but as far as I’m concerned Rapture is done. I’ve no desire to return there.

Of course there are obvious problems with leaving the underwater city, both it and its residence so intrinsicly tied to the essence of the series, but if they insist on making more I don’t think they have much of an option.

6. Bulk Slash

I think it was a mistake to re-tread Rapture in Bioshock 2, whatever they do for a sequel they’ve got to come up with something as original and fantastic as Rapture was in Bioshock 1, otherwise the franchise is dead.

7. Artheval_Pe

@Bulk Slash : I completly agree ! They should have left Rapture after the first Bioshock alreayd. Gabe Newell once said that they decided to destroy Black Mesa because returning there in Half-Life 2 would be a “creative death”. 2K Games just felt into that trap.

Plus, after the superb story of the first Bioshock, they need to hire some real writers. And not just people who can put words into place : I mean writers who have a strong background in philosophy.

After the take on objectivism in Bioshock 1, the way they handled collectivism in Bioshock 2 was incoherent and cheap. The ideology didn’t tied in a all with the personnal drama and the motives of the characters.

I’d say that the story tried to look smart but wasn’t cleverly thought at all.

8. Hazzarington

I= love BioShock. Give me more just as long as it ain’t SHIT!!!