Apple announces iPhone 4 in San Francisco [Update]

Monday, 7th June 2010 19:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

iphone4

Update: Added some video of the announcement below.

Update 2: Apple’s just announced that it’ll release from June 24 in the US and UK, plus France, Japan and Germany. No price point in the UK yet, but 3GS has gotten a price-cut to $99. iPhone 4 itself will begin from $199 for the 16Gb in the US, with $299 for 32Gb. Pre-orders begin a week tomorrow.

Original: Apple’s revealed tonight, to everyone’s surprise, iPhone 4 during the company’s WWDC.

According to Joystiq, its screen will be four times the pixel density as the previous model, iPhone 3GS. That’s roughly 78 percent of the density seen on the iPad, with about 326 pixels per inch.

CEO Steve Jobs also said that current apps and games will look better with iPhone 4, but will also be optimized to fit the screen.

The new phone also has an A4 processor, which also powers iPad. It’ll also have a gyroscope, which gives it “full pitch/roll/yaw sensing in 3D space,” according to Joystiq, making it “perfect for gaming” according to Jobs.

As far as any games go, Jenga was shown off, while Guitar Hero and Farmvile [God help us all - JC] are al to be added to the App Store. GH is available now for $2.99, while FV is out at the end of June.

Catch a liveblog of the action over at Engadget.

1. Freek

I am shocked! Up is down, left is right, start making sense, man!?

2. Patrick Garratt

Stuck some video in there.

3. Hunam

Looks uglier than the current iPhone.

4. Johnny Cullen

Sold.

5. cookiejar

Want.

Finally a decent iPhone upgrade.

6. KAP

Day one… Nah im broke, day 89 more like.

7. Tallon 4

No d-pad/ buttons is no gaming for me personally.
    But I guess it’ll sell millions

8. Patrick Garratt

It’s been priced and dated there.

9. Anders

Not as visually distinguished as the earlier models, but I like it. Might pick one up eventually.

10. JimFear666

Another piece of garbage from apple…. sigh

11. MushroomStamp

While I do not like the draconian regulation Apple controls the phone with that takes freedom from users, the HW specs on this phone are fantastic. I much prefer the open platform that is Android. I use HTC Incredible here :)

Btw, the “ugly metal band” that surrounds the phone, is actually incorporated into the antenna to give it better reception and fewer dropped calls.

12. Erthazus

Question: It is cheaper then old models no? I like it.

13. MushroomStamp

no.. it’s the same price as when the other phones were released, $199 & $299

14. Monk

Can anybody tell me about the price ?
    was 3Gs the same price or is it more than that ?

Because in my country, they sell it about 600$ !!

15. Cort

Can we have a ‘not Apple’ tag please.

16. mathare92

Live blogs,headlines and what not… a small preview of what is to come next week.

17. Erthazus

Oh geez, Sony Ericsson design. Only Applefags will buy this. Nothing special. Specs and battery are nice, but thats just it.

Video call via Wi-fi? LOL?

18. Bulk Slash

I’ll definitely be upgrading from my 3G to this. I’d have got a 3GS but my contract didn’t expire until earlier this year. I’ve tried Nokias and GooglePhones but none of them quite match the iPhone for features and efficiency.

I wouldn’t have a Mac or an iPad if you paid me, but the iPhone is actually worth the money.

19. AHA-Lambda

breaking news? This is breaking news? Sigh =(

tbh tho i did lol at 0:52

20. JPickford

>Specs and battery are nice, but thats just it.

Considering “specs & battery” cover just about everything apart from aesthetics & price, what’s your point exactly?

Seems like you just want to sound clever.

21. Dannybuoy

Plenty of people will hate on the iPhone 4. They are entitled to their opinions. I personally think it looks amazing. I love my 3GS to bits, so this new one will be even more amazing. iPhone has changed my life. Seriously. Deal with that if you can

22. Dralen

@21 Totally agreed. I love my iPhone 3GS to bits too. It’s well worth the money.

23. xino

why are they talking as if video calling is new to Iphone4!?
    that sh* was functional with those 3g phones:/

24. Erthazus

@20 My point is that for that price it’s not worth it. Not interesting at all.
    Compared to Communicator it is nothing special at all.

@22 It’s not worth it if you are in to the Mobile stuff. Compared to the decent communicator it’s not worth at all. IPhone is decent, but for it’s price, overrated and overpriced.

25. Cee

My k800i has video phone…. I bought that years ago…need an upgrade tbh

26. KillerDD

So, I hope they’ll start selling the old iPhone without a mobile subscription. ‘Cause it sucks!

27. DaMan

I wonder how long before Nokia kicks the bucket now.

28. woodyrulesok

@ DaMan

errr quite a while. Nokia is still by far the largest mobile phone producer in the world. They have something like a 40% market share, Apple have about a 15% share.
    They also sell over double the amount of ‘smart phones’ that Apple do so it’s not just crap phones in the third world that make that total up.

29. DaMan

I know about the market share, it’s huge but declining. and it’s mostly their mid to low range ones. if things continue as today it’s imminent, Android is rising as well. not to mention RIM. sure I ‘ve exaggerated a bit, but they’re bleeding.

it’s also funny how everything they’ve tried to do with N-Gage and completely failed (twice!) Apple did right from the start.

30. Erthazus

@29 It’s not declining. You don’t even saw latest Nokia models. They are by far better then any Iphone especially latest N series with keyboard. They are already like Communicators. So i’m sorry for Iphone on this one.

Even Sony Ericsson started to show some sign that they still there in the market after 2009 year of FAIL.

31. DaMan

do you even know what ‘declining market share’ means?

SE are a completely different story, they just make phones with others’ OS.

32. DaMan

I can see a disturbing trend in your posts, Erthazus.

you obviously have problems with successful, best selling products.

33. Erthazus

I know what is market share and what is “declining market share”.

“SE are a completely different story, they just make phones with others’ OS.”

They are not a different story. Nokia for example produce phones with other OS too, like the latest business E73 model with Symbian S60 OS

34. DaMan

funny really, Symbian is Nokia’s owned OS.

35. DaMan

and if you knew what ‘s ‘declining market share’ you wouldn’t have posted that irrelevant, badly worded, badly thought out opinion of yours:
    “You don’t even saw latest Nokia models. They are by far better then any Iphone especially latest N series with keyboard. They are already like Communicators. So i’m sorry for Iphone on this one.”

oh, and you’re such a funny little twat. the original comment of mine was about Nokia being in decline. you ‘ve posted some irrelevant personal thoughts on iPhone compared to their smartphones and brought SE into this as well. well, if SE aren’t doing bad then more so Nokia is in trouble. both amusing and sad indeed. no CoD articles lately?

36. L.O.R.D

i have Nokia N70, and it has video call,oh.. and flash camera too

37. cookiejar

@36 I have a Ford Focus that has wheels, an engine and seatbelts, but I’d still like a Ferrari Daytona.

38. woodyrulesok

haha.

Well I don’t know if Nokia are in decline (I guess in their heyday they were much larger), from what I read they are up on last year though.
    I’ve only ever had a Nokia phone but I haven’t upgraded for a few years, I got my N73 when it came out. They haven’t made a phone for a while that has tempted me.

I am interested in the Nexus 1 though and the new HTC phones.
    Might be time to splash out soon I think.