Shogun 2: Total War revealed through hands on – pics, details, movie

Wednesday, 2nd June 2010 21:35 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

shogun 2

Looks like the fact sheet leaked this morning for Shogun 2: Total War was nothing more than a sheet of paper compared to what IGN got its hands on.

That, being the game, basically.

Rumored for an E3 reveal last week, the hands on talks about naval warfare, the game’s AI again being programmed according to Sun Tzu’s Art of War, support for up to 56,000 units in a single battle and loads more.

It’s enough to make you want to spit in Richard Chamberlain’s face and call him a fraud.

Check the full thing out for yourself here.

Creative Assembly is slated to show it at E3, so hopefully we will get to see it in action as well.

Check out the reveal trailer below.

1. Stephany Nunneley

“AI is being programmed according to Sun Tzu’s Art of War”.

The Art of Fucking War no less. Jesus. /faints

2. V_Ben

Good Grief. Sounds pretty good. :-D

3. Gekidami

“AI is being programmed according to Sun Tzu’s Art of War”

Like in the first one then.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 For someone who didn’t play the 1st one, and had no idea, that is a selling point for me.

5. Erthazus

@3,4 for fuck sake,

It’s really great to see someone who started playing first Shogun.

6. doctorstrange

*girly scream*

7. Gekidami

I’ve never played a Total War game in my life, i find these types of RTS’ boring. I just happen to know that the first Shogun one has AI based around Sun Tzu’s Art of War and its confirmed on the games wiki page.

8. Patrick Garratt

Shit just got real.

9. Stephany Nunneley

I heard that with the first game, you better pack a lunch because one session could last 6-7 hours. I didn’t have the patience for that at the time. I was too into boys and bars :D

10. Patrick Garratt

The only time I seriously tried to play a Total War game was Medieval II. I’d just finished the first Dawn of War. It was like reading War and Peace after Harry Potter. I should try again.

11. Hunam

It’s about god damn time.

12. Grimrita

I’ve played all the Total Wars, apart from Shogun – so I am sort of excited by this one – if they get the AI right.

Whilst I was waiting for the DREADFUL Medieval 2, I got in to Dawn of War as well and totally loved that game. I spent hundreds of hours playing online.

I enjoyed Empire and now Napoleon so it does seem odd that they are taking a step back in history again.

13. DeSpiritusBellum

I don’t see why you’d brag about programming the AI according to Sun Tzu. The only thing Sun Tzu did was write down the most obvious truths of warfare. That’s the main reason the book is still being published.

Following that will only serve to make you predictable, not challenging.

To add insult to injury, there are a lot of other, better documents on southeast-asian warfare from that era.

14. Patrick Garratt

@12 – Dawn of War’s one of my favourite games, to be honest. I really loved it. I’ve yet to play another RTS that was so immediate and enjoyable. Great game.

15. Erthazus

@15 How about Starcraft, Starcraft II, Warcraft III? :)

16. Uncontested

Never played Shogun.. played all the other ones.. about to buy Napoleon but i know as soon as I do itll be on sale in STEAM the next day -.-

Im glad I looked on the wiki page, because I’m not exactly knowledgeable on Japanese history as I am Europe and etc around the same time period..

I would have thought the idea of there being 56,000 units on field would make no sense at all for a country like Japan during those times but I was wrong. It cites Japan being able to muster over 100,000 troops while the European super power Spain could only muster 30,000 at about the same time.

17. ybfelix

But Sun Zi specifically mentioned “be unpredictable”(actually this summons up the book pretty nicely)

18. Grimrita

@ 14. Amen to that! Then they released the turd that is Dawn of War 2. :(

@ 15. Starcraft sends me to sleep. Its one of THE most generic RTS games along with C&C