Apparent Alpha Protocol dev goes mental, says game should have been “cancelled”

Saturday, 29th May 2010 10:21 GMT By Joe Anderson

ap1

Obsidian RPG Alpha Protocol may not be attracting the best review scores, but you don’t expect team members to claim the game should have been canned. Hit the link for some undiluted vitriol.

In the comments section of Joystiq’s review, someone claiming to have “worked on this game” has decided to let off a bit of steam, in between talking about the studios eating habits.

“There was a ton of work put into this game. The problem is that it was a ton of undirected work, or work on things that were just stupid. The Executive Producer for the game, Chris Parker (also an owner of the company), seemed to think he was the world’s greatest designer ever, and created all these absolutely shitty systems and wouldn’t listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn’t work. And you can’t exactly argue with one of the owners of the company when he doesn’t want to listen. He basically took over the game and dictated exactly how everything would work (or not work, as the case may be). The other producers realized this early on and just gave up, leaving Parker to micromanage all the designers and programmers directly.

“Sega also was a factor, because they kept changing the design requirements (yes they had heavy influence there), which never gave the producers and designers time to actually decide on one set of features to make and polish. The blame is still mostly Obsidian’s because the execution was absolutely terrible, and it was obvious 2 years ago that this game should have been scrapped. Instead, though, they focused on adding still more features and never fixed the ones they already had. That is a recipe for tons of bugs and no polish… as is obvious.

“This game was just an absolute failure of production, and it’s no wonder that so many of the developers left the company, even after the 40% staff layoffs. I am still happy about some of Obsidian’s other current projects, New Vegas included, because they are going pretty well. Their big unannounced project is looking great and is already much better than AP ever was, and that may end up being the game that everyone was looking for with AP.

“Sega should have canceled AP instead of Aliens.”

We’re saying nothing.

Alpha Protocol releases on Tuesday in the US after a release yesterday in the UK.

1. Moonwalker1982

All quite sad really, cause the whole idea was great. The concept of it had not been done before. Great potential, even when you play it , it’s like ‘damn they should have done this and that better’. But the potential is there.

2. Sunshyme

It’s very doubtful that this is a comment from a real member of the development team. If so, it’s kinda rude and wretched to make such a statement.

It does, however, make sense. AP looked average from the beginning and all trailers confirmed this. Some nice ‘espionage’ but a poor engine, lack of polish and immediately ready for a budget price.

3. horse

Looks like the same problem they had with KOTOR2. I think I’m going to give New Vegas a wide berth

4. Moonwalker1982

5. Hunam

Should have been, it’s shit.

6. AHA-Lambda

“Fallout: New Vegas must not fail, it can’t!!! Lets not forget people who worked on Fallout and Fallout 2 are on this now too. And so far its looking and sounding quite good.”

people who worked on the first AVP worked on the new one and that was still shit :|

7. Hunam

Lambda speaketh the truth.

8. Gekidami

Vegas should be ok seeing as its using FO3′s engine and gameplay concept.

9. ybfelix

It’s very likely a real dev, the full quote was in reply to a (jerk) restaurant waiter across Obsidian.

Wonder what’s the “big unannounced project”.

10. Droid

Well it sounds exactly like a developer to me. Trying to let off a lot of steam after being frustrated for so long. As Hunam says this game is shit, and really isnt worth even trying.

What it shows to me is how many reviewers have lost their way, been bribed by sponsorship for their magazines, or just didn’t look at the game at all, before giving a high score. The amount of high scores for this game is truly shocking, I’ll never trust a review again.

11. Aimless

You’re being rather over the top, Droid. Granted I haven’t played Alpha Protocol yet, but from what I’ve heard you could also level a lot of the complaints surrounding it at the original Mass Effect, which by and large received stellar reviews and huge praise from the gaming community.

Not to say I dislike ME — I have the full 1200 points for it, in fact — but some people will always be able to look past the stodginess of primary mechanics if all the peripheral aspects are enough to capture their attention. Hell, Fallout 3 is another example — the non-VATS shooting in that game is abysmal.

12. xino

Instant fail for them.
    Apparently they are not happy with the reviews.

The farking game should had been released ages ago.
    Trust me, when a game take too long to be released, it turns to sh*

Dark Void
    Too Human
    Mercenaries 2
    list goes on man

if you want a game to be successful, release it early and stop farking delaying!

13. Droid

@Aimless
    Well I say to you my friend, go and try this game, judge for yourself, then come back here in a little while and you’ll agree with me i’m sure. :)
    Obviously everyones views vary a lot but with this game I think the feelings would be pretty unanimous to be honest. If you read that destructoid review I think you’d nod along to everything they say. And how the other reviewers didnt see all these flaws is beyond me. It’s not like they’re hidden. It’s not often I find a game that I can’t find ANYthing positive to say about it, but I think i’ve found one.

14. YoungZer0

Yeah, well, doesn’t help us, does it? I can understand that he let’s off some steam, though, i have some experience with this kind of “partnership”. It’s really sad as it had so much potential. I hope we will be able to mod it. We can still save it!

I hope.

Last thing: If Fallout: New Vegas fails i will never ever trust Obsidian again.

15. Dralen

@1 I know exactly what you mean. You can see the potential in the game, but the gameplay is so very very flawed. The conversations and characters are great, but it needed alot more work to make it a hit.

16. zoopdeloop

As it seems a Sony tester’s critisisms had some points.He was already disappointed back then by AP

17. James91

Think we’ll be adding GT5 to that list? :P

18. DaMan

Mercs2 wasn’t nearly as bad as those games, though actually rushed and unfinished. it was just overhyped and ended up slightly above average overall, but lots of fun nevertheless.

you might as well put Fallout 3 there.

19. Mauller

Truthfully, I have no faith in Obsidian as developers. If it weren’t for Bioware spoon feeding them IP’s they wouldn’t be as well known as they are. Their games are always so full of bugs and usually just perform badly regardless of the hardware it’s being run on.

20. Dragul

Obsidian just remembers me of Troika games, fun concepts but really shit executions (I have all games from both developers).

I’ll be getting this game anyway… I’m a sucker for this type of RPGs… :(

Some underdogs really surprised even among the bugs (Two Worlds, Drakensang, Divinity 2 et all).

21. Erthazus

@20 Drakensang is freakin awesome!

By the way, i’m interested in how they are going to make Fallout:New Vegas. What team makes it!?
    Basically they are going to the Fallout 1-2 roots. I hope they succeed in what they are doing.

22. OlderGamer

Divenity 2 was a lot of fun, as was Two Worlds.

Another over looked gem of an RPG is Sacred 2. Way too many hourse of gameplay there, and the world is freaken HUGE.

23. Catabu

Playing AP (PC) and loving it . Don’t know where all the hate comes from.

24. Uncontested

Two Worlds was awesome once the “fixed” version came out. thankfully thats the one I bought. I loved the game, and was surprised at how good it was, granted I cant remember anything about the story.. that just may be the holes in my brain from all the IED explosions.. lol

Surprised The Witcher wasn’t mentioned yet.. another awesome game (Also once the “Fixed” version was released lol)

But to the topic at hand.. I knew Alpha Protocol would be shit just from seeing some of the awful screens they put out. Can’t believe anyone hyped this garbage up.

25. blackdreamhunk

I am still going to get this game

26. theevilaires

me too….when it drops in price to 29.99 next month :D the giantbomb quick play was ok though.

27. Robo_1

29.99… I honestly expect to see this going for the usual Sega fire sale price of 17.99 by the end of the month.

28. lonewolf315

I bought this game and am currently on my second play through. It’s not shit at all. It has some rough edges (and a couple plot holes though it could be that I just accidentally led the plot away from that plot) but it’s really quite good. There’s a lot of potential in this game and while it’s no Mass Effect it deserves much better than the 6/10 Gamespot gave it. And the plot is actually really great. The game makes you make some really hard choices and not much time to think about it.

@Aimless It’s true. It does seem to suffer from a lot of the issues Mass Effect 1 had. In fact when I was playing I often thought, “This kind of reminds me of Mass Effect 1.” It has some rough edges and some good but badly implemented ideas but it has real potential. I think it would be cool if they made a trilogy and have your choices carry over like Bioware is doing with Mass Effect. Especially since in my completed playthrough I never got to deal with a guy that I REALLY wanted to kill for what he did. Instead I made him turn away from his employer at a pivotal point instead of helping him.

To everyone saying this game is shit without playing it: Go drop money on the rental fee and give it a try before you judge.