Footage from canned Insomniac project emerges

Friday, 28th May 2010 08:38 GMT By Johnny Cullen

i-5

Insomniac Games has pulled out of its hat the first footage of its canned PS2 project, codenamed I-5, otherwise known as “Girl with a Stick”.

According to game designer Brian Allgier, the game was seen as a “Tomb Raider meets Zelda” type game with artist on the project John Fiorito claiming it was “a hardcore fantasy, almost RPG-like” project.

The title, in development for PlayStation 2 since 2000, was soon canned for development in another new IP for the platform: Ratchet and Clank.

The footage from I-5 comes from the developer’s latest Full Moon Show podcast. Get that below.

The developer, who have been developing titles for PlayStation platforms during its 16-year history, announced earlier this week it signed a deal with EA Partners to create its first multiplatform title on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Fun fact: did you know “Girl with a Stick” was actually the codename for the closed, NDA’ed online beta of Resistance 2 two years ago? You do now!

1. Herlock

Great stuff, i love this guys :)

2. 52pickup

Poor Spyro. He could have been great if left in the hands of Insomniac.

3. Blerk

Bugger Spyro, he was always rubbish. :-)

You know, I think Insomniac should do something in the Zelda/Fable style. Would be a nice change from the stuff they’ve done already.

4. Johnny Cullen

Spyro was awesome. :(

Well, it was when in Insomniac’s hands. Obviously, the same when Crash was in Naughty Dog’s control.

5. Kaufer

I remember Insomiac talking about “Girl with a Stick” before in an interview about Crack in Time in the PSblog. And that it was the original template for Ratchet and Clank games but the team wasn’t feeling it or something like that so they changed it to R&C. From the way they spoke about it then, I’d be surprise if their new game turn out to be this.

6. 52pickup

Didn’t they something about “fun and colourful characters” a while back?

I would assume this is a hint at the next game. Ted Price is a fan of SCI-FI and the Mythical genre. I would assume yet again we would see these influences in their next IP,just like we’ve seen with Resistance,Spyro and R&C.

7. Moonwalker1982

Glad that they went with Ratchet & Clank cause those are awesome games. Definitely among my favorites on the PS2. Still have to pick up Crack in time for PS3.