Namco says Ubi’s DRM policy is “good” for now

Thursday, 27th May 2010 21:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

namcobandailogo

Namco Bandai VP Olivier Comte has said that he thinks Ubisoft’s PC DRM policy is “good” for the moment because there’s “nothing else that will work” against piracy at the moment.

Speaking with CVG, Comte said that until something better is invented, the Ubisoft approach will have to do.

“I will be very honest. I think it’s a good [approach] for one reason: I have no alternative today,” he said. “Is the best one? Certainly not but as of today if I can make something else I’ll do it, but it’s better to do something than not do something.

“At the moment they are doing a good strategy.”

That being said, Comte believes that there has to be another system “put in place” to combat piracy.

“We are analyzing all of the situations,” he said. “We have seen what Ubi and EA are doing, we’ve seen what Sony have announced for PS3 and it’s clear that we need to make some choices.

“I’m convinced that whatever system you put in place you can be sure that two hours before putting it out it’ll be cracked in Russia.

“I think that the combat against piracy is very complicated because it’s very complicated to explain to a 12-year-old that drag and dropping a file on a PC is piracy – he was born with this.”

Namco’s the European publisher of upcoming PC titles The Witcher II  and Test Drive Unlimited 2, which is now accepting Beta applications.

1. Bulk Slash

WTF is he smoking? Ubisoft’s protection has been cracked and blown wide open. Every Ubisoft game released now is on the web before it’s even reached store shelves, they’re as wide open to piracy as a game with no DRM.

Why waste time and money implementing an anti-customer scheme like Ubisoft’s when it has no benefits and so many drawbacks?

2. hitnrun

Subtract the “else” and you have reality.

3. MushroomStamp

No DRM will ever work.. period. Why do these people think otherwise.. I’ve seen Software piracy for 30 years… Nobody ever has come up with a way to stop it. Man Made… Man Break

4. Hybridpsycho

Bulk Slash: THat’s not really what he meant, what he meant was that it’s good that they’re trying new ways to stop piracy. Now I also know that Ubisofts DRM sucked giant b*lls, but that’s not the worst part of it. The worst part is that they make the DRM so that it affects gameplay and even stopped players from playing the first 1-3 weeks due to bugs.

As it is now, CD-Keys are the best solution.

5. Anders

What @2 said. If they want to get rid of piracy, start making games for the PS3. At least they got a year or two before Blu-Ray-burners become mainstream.

6. SplatteredHouse

PC DRM like Ubisoft’s may be good for the Namco man. But it’s no good for me, so I’ll get Witcher II for console, and play without all that crap (I tried a DRM with shop-bought game recently, and it was awful to patch, and activate while it was showing errors some times – rubbish, screw their shoddy DRM. I just wanted to enmjoy my new game!)

7. Erthazus

What have CD Projekt have in common with DRM? They are not going to do that.

8. Droid

Well they could always reduce the initial price of the game to lets say £15 (which they’ll never do of course because that would eat up their profits), and just make a game just because they love making games, that they are proud to release, and be happy with their normal £40k+ salaries per year, and not expect bonuses when the game is released.

Instead its all about greed, maximising profit and using piracy as an excuse. £36.99 for a new pc game is a total con imho. And adding DRM is just stupid like others have said. It doesn’t stop piracy, and ruins the game for people who have actually purchased it in the first place.

9. Freek

There’s two parts to a good DRM system.

1. it stops piracy (or atleast slows down piracy to get ridd of day one downloads).

2. It has no negative impact on the paying loyal customer.

Ubisoft failed at 2, so no, it is not “good” at all.