Yoichi Wada wants to see more Heavy Rain-like games

Wednesday, 26th May 2010 12:23 GMT By Johnny Cullen

heavyrain10

Square Enix president Yoichi Wada is a big fan of Heavy Rain. Big fan. He even says he wants to see more games like the Quantic Dream thriller.

“It would be good if they made more games like Heavy Rain,” he said in a recent interview with Famitsu.

Despite previous worries it wouldn’t be, Heavy Rain went on to become a critical success for Sony and Quantic Dream, becoming one of two titles from the first-party to reach the number one spot in the UK this year.

According to Quantic Dream boss David Cage, the game is on course to sell 1.5 million copies by the end of the year.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. 52pickup

I would like to see Square release something good this generation.

2. daytripper

i agree with him

3. Erthazus

I want to see games like Heavy Rain where David Cage is not a writer.

and i want to see decent Final Fantasy game from Square Enix.

Thank you. Goodbye.

4. mington

Hopefully with the LA Noire tech (if it works) these types of games could be made in a far shorter space of time.

5. Lazerate

yes i would like to see more games like heavy rain. i dont really mind if david cage does another one hes a good writer.

6. daytripper

@5 honestly? i think his ideas are good but as for things like dialogue he really lets himself down

“this is a painkiller, it eases pain”

i could name more but i need to take a shit

7. Gekidami

Yoichi Wada: “I want to see more games like Heavy Rain! What? No, WE wont make any, i just want to see more!”

8. mart

I hated Heavy Rain. Cage is a terrible writer.

9. daytripper

imo this generation naughty dog, bioware and rockstar have the best writers

10. DaMan

well, well, looks like Squenix approach to videogames becomes less and less appealing for me.

11. OlderGamer

I didn’t like HR, and am not interested in story focused games like it at all.

HR can’t compete on the fun factor against video games.

HR can’t compete on the story factor against movies/books.

HR moved too slow and couldn’t keep me entertained.

Just my two cents, and not a put down to anyone that enjoyed the game, but – nope, I didn’t enjoy it one bit.

12. Johnny Cullen

I loved Heavy Rain. Bar Mass Effect 2, it’s my favourite game this year.

13. mescalineeyes

If you loved Heavy Rain, I hope you never have children.
    That’s straight up Darwin award shit.

That game is an abomination as far as writing and acting is concerned, which are the tent-poles of Heavy Rain.

I guess some idiots are easy to impress. Sorry to say Johnny is apparently one of them, always thought you were better than that.

14. mington

your mother shouldn’t have had kids

15. Detale

Add me to the list of Darwin Award winning idiots, I quite enjoyed Heavy Rain too. Admittedly it didn’t have much replay value for me and there was some VERY clunky dialogue but I enjoyed it a great deal on the first couple of playthroughs.

I’m sure you’ll be pleased to know we weren’t planning on having kids anyway…

16. mington

I thoroughly enjoyed Heavy Rain. Can i at least have a puppy?

17. mescalineeyes

what on earth about it though?
    The story was shit, the writing was shit, the motion capture was questionable at best.
    I admit it was pretty and the soundtrack was fantastic, but hell, even the typography was uninspired.
    Slanted Trebuchet MS my ass.

18. mington

Some of the individual scenes really drew me in. Not to list them all but the finger chopping was really intense

19. The Hindle

If people didnt enjoy Heavy Rain go play some Gears and blow an aliens head off if you want games to be a bit different then continue playing games like Heavy Rain.

20. mescalineeyes

different does not always equal good.

and hell yeah I enjoy me some Gears, thank you very much. Although I am more of a Killzone/Resistance/Halo guy myself ;)

21. DaMan

amen to what Older said.

22. The Hindle

Heavy Rain was a marmite game, some hated it some liked it but either way the industery needed it as its fastly becoming dependant on Fps.

23. Erthazus

Jesus, what shitstorm i started.

Personally i enjoyed Heavy Rain, but David Cage as a writer was not very good in my opinion and there were enough holes in the story.

I really think that you can make great games with that design. Heavy Rain was like Flower to me. With this game you pushed different buttons. Yeah, we gamers like to shoot, kill, steal and e.t.c. but that was done for like 10 years already.

24. OlderGamer

@22 and 23

I agree with what both of you just said.

In my opinion the game market is flooded(over run even) with shooters.

And secondly if you think you have played everything over the last ten years, your right. And it makes you a jaded gamer. I am critical as hell and don’t enjoy most of what I play anymore. Just wait till you add another ten years, it will get worse. I have been a gamer from its conception. I often feel like I have indeed played everything under the sun.

Games today feel like games from yesterday but with a new coat of paint and a few new bells and whistles.

9 of the top ten xbl games played are shooters(if ya count GTA as a shooter, and I do). I would enjoy a MultiPlayer RPG to play online. It doesn’t have to be a wowish mmo. But what about a Champions of Norath style rpg? A well done Diablo style game? There weren’t any racers in the top ten. Does anyone play strategy games?

So yea I too feel like we as gamers are in a rut. And with games costing so much to make these days and the risks for new IP being so high, it is no wonder that about all we get sequels of long running franchises. And just makes the problem worse. Go down the list, how many CoDs have there been? Halos? Gears 3 is on its way. Just more and more of the same.

So in some respects HR is a good thing to do. The trouble with HR? It is never going to break through to massive mainstream. It is going to sell well, but it won’t be setting the world on fire. There will be dozens of games this year that will sell more then HR.

Some folks enjoy it, more power to them. Some don’t and that is ok too.

25. mington

what were the week 1 sales like for heavy rain compared to alan wake?

26. Detale

I enjoy blowing shit up as much as the next guy, but I also enjoyed Heavy Rain because it was something a bit different.

The presentation, along with the strange control methods, and the atmosphere just worked for me (and the missus too). We played through it a couple of times to get different angles on the story and then let it go at that. Sure, you can pick the story apart and it was pretty much “straight-to-dvd” fodder in places, but overall we really enjoyed playing it and I’m looking forward to seeing what Quantic Dream come up with next.

27. OlderGamer

I would guess(and that is all it is) that HR will outsell AW. Globaly. HR is a very EU kind of game, and PS3 is a very EU system. My guess would be that EU+NA HR > NA+EU AW

I bet AW splits about 50/50 between NA and EU.

While HR prolly runs close to 30/70 between NA and EU.

Sales % wise.

28. Detale

And once again, OlderGamer cuts right to the heart of it. Well said…

29. The Hindle

@27 Last NPD the Ps3 and 360 were only 5k apart wernt they?

30. OlderGamer

@29 Honestly don’t know. But I am thinking that HR will have a longer tail of sales in EU then it does here in NA. So I figure that once it is just about dead in the water in the states, slower but steady sales will continue to push it in EU.

31. mington

enjoyment wise, for me, playing through heavy rain has been one of the my gaming highlights of the past year, whilst playing through BFBC2 single player made me want to chop off my finger, crawl through broken glass then drive down the motorway in the wrong direction

32. Erthazus

@24 i still think that Heavy Rain games have the power to sell. Let Rockstar make Heavy Rain type of game and i’m sure with their writers, producers and directors Rockstars Heavy Rain will sell like hot cake.

@25 Oh, i think you should not compare sales of these games. Alan Wake floped so hard that i can’t even imagine what Remedy is doing right now after 5-6 years of developing. Probably suicide.
    Heavy Rain in it’s first week of sales had 500K, even in Japan it sold for like 15-20K
    and Alan Wake… 80K………………….. For now.

33. Galactic_Barret

I haven’t played much more than the demo, but I enjoyed it.

OlderGamer, what about its longer term benefits? I won’t argue Cage’s writing but doesn’t the prospect of someone better entering into a project like this offset some of its shortcomings? It can only get better, right?

Or is that a part of being jaded?

Edit: I think A. Wake will do well. 200k+, at least.

34. Boris Fett

Coming 2020 from Square Enix: Emo’s Quest.

Follow the angst ridden Frablagoblargh on his latest journey of redemption, and he fights to save the princess Lady ShortShorts of GenericKingdom#3547 from whatever white haired villain we can come up with this time.

Immerse yourself in deep and compelling Quick Time Events, which help to draw you into the existential angst hidden behind Frablagoblargh’s all-consuming excuse for a haircut.

And remember kids, if you wear black and whine about your life a lot, you’re totally mature. That’s why our game is the most mature game ever.

35. OlderGamer

@33 I think with better writting the next one will be a better game. But still I think that a game that hangs its hat on its story runs the risk of people not enjoying that story. Some will, some won’t.

That is where the generic shooter game may have an advantage. In that its audiance doesn’t care about its story. G1GA, for example might have enjoyed MW2 sp story, but the real reason he bought the game was for its MP. And that is why he still plays it today.

For games like HR or AW they will live and die on story. And story can be a very fickle thing. Some folks love SQE story telling in their FF games. And buy them for that reason. I won’t buy a FF game for the very same reason, the story telling.

I just think that the potiental for a game like HR/AW is limited. I think it will do best in EU. But even assuming that game control/mechanics are fluid and comfortable, animation and voice acting are upto par it still boils down to story.

So if they are selling you a story, but you aren’t interested in a story its a no sale.

Its like this: two people read books. One person reads Stephen King, the other Daniel Steel. While it is true that they both are avid readers. And they both love a great story. What defines the story as “great” is going to be drasticly different for both. That is the problem with games like HR/AW.

Other kinds of games just don’t have that problem.

36. Detale

Can’t wait for Emo’s Quest, sounds great!

37. Galactic_Barret

Perfectly understandable. What are you looking forward to and what style of game would you like to see in the future?

38. OlderGamer

The games I enjoy most tend to be one step to the right or left of most it seems.

I love a good game of Civ Rev.

I am looking forward to NCAA Fooball 11. Ninty Nine Nights 2. I have/enjoy most of the music games. GH/RB, looking forward to GDRB, RB3, and GH6.

I play on steam, been enjoying Tourchlight.

I come and go off of WoW, trying hard not to become so involved with it I lose myself completly.

Looking forward to Civ V, Diablo 3, even Starcraft 2.

39. xino

Omikron 2, heavy rain style? no? ok

40. ianbenoir

heavy rain is one of my favourite games.
    BUT!!!!I play it in french. and that makes it all much better.

although it should be more bloodish and mature..