Report – Microsoft to announce Natal’s formal name at E3

Wednesday, 26th May 2010 17:33 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

natal4

Edge is reporting that Microsoft’s to announce the formal name of Project Natal at E3.

It was bound to happen, you know. Just when we’ve all gotten used to it.

According to a source close to the site, Microsoft will reveal the proper name during its pre-E3 event dubbed ” The Natal Experience”, and that the price for the peripheral will hit around the $149/£103/€121 mark.

The source also claims that a bundle with an Arcade 360 will be introduced for around $299/£207/€243, and both offerings will drop on October 26 following a media and advertising blitz.

“Microsoft expects to sell millions and millions of Natal units in its first year on the market so you can expect the software launch line-up to target non-traditional gamers,” said the source.

“A major marketing campaign will also play a key role in attracting and educating the expanded audience about Xbox 360’s controller-free revolution.”

The source also advised that the launch date could “shift by a few weeks”, but it’s still in line with the October time frame MS Saudi exec Syed Bilal Tariq confirmed earlier in the month.

Microsoft has said that it’s hopeful that “Natal” will be available for the public to try out at TGS later in the year.

We’ll mail MS about all this to be sure.

1. Razor

“Microsoft expects to sell millions and millions of Natal units in its first year ”

This statement alone makes we hope Natal will bomb hard.

2. The Hindle

They are probably going to bundle it with every machine thats the only way they will sell millions imo

3. AHA-Lambda

I actually just recently bought my own 360 (yay :P) but I can still conclusively say I will not buy this and I hope to god it tanks HARD!

PS: what do you think is a better deal?

an Arcade 360 with natal for £200
    OR
    an elite 360 with alan wake bundled in for £200

yeah i thought so :P

4. Boris Fett

Anyone else think it’s going to feel weird calling it something other than Natal?

5. Zonejeu

Well… we knew all that already didn’t we ?

6. OlderGamer

@4 Yea I do too.

7. polygem

NuTool

8. Dr.Ghettoblaster

“The Swing Your Arms Like You Just Don’t Care Device”

9. OlderGamer

Speaking of Natal, I’d love to see Sega redo Boogerman for it. It would be a real Pick and Flick Adventure.

10. The Hindle

“The pointless cash in by Microsoft in order to steal some of the Wiis audience device”

11. justiceblob

I don’t undertand the antagonism toward natal…. If it works as well as MS says it does, I’m sure it will be fantastic and would deserve to sell millions. What is with hate. Can we not accept a new idea in a (mainly) adult discussion.

12. AHA-Lambda

Honestly i thought it was going to be called natal at the end of the dat, just like windows 7 was a test name but it stuck (sigh, why bother numbering windows when you stopped doing that after window 3?)

It’ll be called something generic like xbox motion camera or something >_>

13. Len

103squid or thereabouts…dream on if you think I’s pay that for it!

14. humanfish

£103 is quite expensive. I thought £80 at most with a game or two. I guess it is still rumours though.

15. Droid

Would be great if they called it “jiggles”. :)

16. polygem

they should name it HAL (for the kids: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

17. Dralen

Are people really that interested in this Natal/Move stuff?

18. OlderGamer

I am. If the price is right and the end product does what the PR folks are claiming it can.

I own a Wii, and a few things on there are mildly entertaining. I would never put down my controler in favor of Move or Natal to play BFBC2.

But casual games can be fun esp when you play them with the wife and inlaws etc.

19. Erthazus

@17 I’m not. But i’m more interested in software they have.

20. Gheritt White

@ 17: I’m very, very interested in the PS Move.

I couldn’t give a fig about Natal for games, but it looks to have potential as a GUI manipulation tool.

21. Dannybuoy

I’m going to bet on MicroShift

22. OlderGamer

Knowing MS it will be something stupid like Xbox Force, like of Star Wars fame

23. Erthazus

@22 probably not. They are focusing the entire presentation for Natal. There must be something big.

24. Gheritt White

@ 22: I’m hoping for Microsoft Moomin… but mainly ‘cos I like the word “moomin”.

25. DeSpiritusBellum

Lots of jaded folks against motion devices.

Granted, there’s nothing wrong with the old gamepad, but if Natal does what Microsoft claims it does, it will be one hell of a nice gimmick, even if it is all gonna come down to the games it’s applied to.

You shouldn’t expect a console controller to be the next Magna Carta. Sometimes it’s just about shits and giggles.

26. Dralen

I still can’t see this or Move doing as well as Microsoft or Sony expect it will. But…perhaps they’ll prove me wrong.

27. chipvideo

My bet is they call it the Wave.

28. cookiejar

Edge says it’ll retail at $149 http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2010/05/26/natal-to-cost-149-edge/

29. AHA-Lambda

my god £100 (and arcade bundles inevitably phasing out elite bundles for the same price which are a better deal aswell lets face it) for a peripheral that we don’t even know what the games are.

I despair muchly so =/

30. Stephany Nunneley

Cookie – it says the same thing in the post, and from the same original source.

31. cookiejar

@30 – oops yeah! Sorry.
    Guinness glasses on tonight :D

32. Droid

Yup too expensive for me. Won’t be something I purchase any time soon then.

33. Blerk

$149 would be a ridiculous price if they actually want anyone to buy one. Well out of the “impulse buy” range that might tempt the casuals.