EA spending more on SWTOR than any game in its history

Wednesday, 26th May 2010 21:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

swtor

EA CFO Eric Brown has said that the company’s spending more on Star Wars: The Old Republic than any game in its entire history.

Speaking at the Janney Capital Markets’ 2010 Consumer Conference today, Brown said that the money spent on the game is one of the reasons it’s not being released until after March 2011.

“It is the largest R&D project EA has ever undertaken in terms of total dollars that we expect to spend bringing the title to market,” he said (via Gamasutra).

“We’re not expecting it to ship in fiscal 2010, nor have we given a specific ship date thereafter. We’re intentionally being nonspecific on the ship date.

“In the past, for MMOs, the type of fiction that has resonated most broadly is fiction based on swords and knights and sorcery, et cetera.

“Star Wars is analogous to that — instead of the swords, you have the lightsabers; instead of the knights you have the Jedi — we think it’s a fiction that does very well, we think it’s a fiction that spans the decades,” Brown added, pointing out that most if not all of the conference’s attendees were likely to be familiar with the property.

“We think it has very broad appeal.”

Brown believes it will be money well-spent though, as BioWare “is one of the highest-rated studios in terms of quality overall”.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will be at E3, and everyday that passes, makes us want it more.

1. AHA-Lambda

HOLY SHIT!!!! =O

*faints*

2. Kalain

This or PLanetside 2 are the only MMO’s that will pull me away from WoW.. I have very high hopes for this since Bioware know what they are doing.

3. PsychoPCG

Steph, EA spending more on SWTOR “that” any game in its history ?

4. Phoenixblight

I truly hope it works out for them not just Bioware/EA but also the fans of Star Wars. I know I will be trying this game out once released.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Crap! Thanks.

6. Bulk Slash

I’m not sure what it would take to make me even consider trying an MMO, but so far they haven’t hooked me. They should have just made KOTOR3.

7. Stephany Nunneley

@6 – Let me just say, that during GDC when I went to Lucasarts and got my hands on it, they forced me to stop playing because my ride back to town was leaving.

Unless something changes between now and then – which is doubtful they will drop the ball too far anyway – it’s a day one buy for me. DAY ONE. :D

8. YoungZer0

Yada, yada, yada, just another MMO.

9. Phoenixblight

Glad to hear that Steph.

10. Grimrita

I agree with Stephany.

When I managed to have an extended play at the recent EA press event, I didnt want to stop. I didnt care about story but actually found myself caring about the story and how my decisions made had an effect on how the NPCs responded.

Combat was also very engaging. WoW better had watch out

11. endgame

Grim, that’s like me (an avid bfbc2 fan) saying CoD better watch out. which I don’t want to. these r 2 different games, one if for children and one is for adults. pls let’s keep it this way.

12. distraet

I’m not too fond of MMO’s, but this one.. Have, I will.