Mass Effect officially headed to the big screen

Tuesday, 25th May 2010 05:44 GMT By Nathan Grayson

masseffect216

In a world where Doom, Dungeon Siege, Far Cry, Postal, and Mortal Kombat were morphed into movies, it’s refreshing to see a videogame-to-film adaptation that finally makes sense. Congratulations, Legendary Pictures. In addition to probably having a multi-million dollar film franchise on your hands, you’ve won our cautious optimism.

We’re sure that you’re absolutely thrilled.

As of now, the film’s in “the early stages of development,” according to Heat Vision, so concrete details are few and far between. Apparently, “I Am Legend” writer Mark Protosevich is hoping to put his quill to work on the picture, while Avi and Ari Arad will share producing duties with Legendary’s Thomas Tull and Jon Jashni.

Most famously, Legendary lent a producing hand on “The Dark Knight,” in addition to “300″ and “Clash of the Titans.” It’s also handling the Warcraft movie.

Meanwhile, BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk will serve as executive producers, as will series producer Casey Hudson. Good combination, right? We’re thinking this one might just be a winner.

Which is great. After all, the better the Mass Effect movie does, the better the chances are that BioWare will decide to produce its surefire success spin-off: Hamlet as depicted by an all Elcor cast.

1. Freek

Prince of Persia also made sense, decent movie too. Not as good as the game though, but not a travesity a la Resident Evil either.

2. AHA-Lambda

IMO mass effect is the best new ip of this generation of consoles. So god damn it this had better not piss over it!! >:(

3. Erthazus

Why you need a film for Mass Effect if the story is ripped from other great classic movies like ST, Battlestar Galactika, Terminator, Babylon 5, and of course Berserker series… Gosh.
    Mass Effect didn’t bring something new to the table in terms of storytelling. Only making it more casual.

Drew Karpyshin just ripped off from others and made a story.

4. mington

The story of th efirst game would make an awesome film, shepard becoming the first human specter

maybe it would be best to just drop the whole Reaper thing, i don’t think that would translate to well, and just make “insert name of the turrien bad guy i can’t remember” as the main bad guy

5. unacomn

I am hoping for a musical with the good doctor. He was the best part of ME2.

6. conk donk

I’m hoping for a Mass Effect film without Shepard in it, taking place in the same Universe of the games and books, not replacing it. Perhaps have Kahlee Sanders (the main protagonist of the books) as the lead.

7. mington

I just hope they don’t screw with any of the aliens, tech, spaceships, transfomer weapons, outfits. As its all perfect for me.

I want the stories of the films, games and books to be able to exist in the same universe, instead of creative license altering it MASSively, EFFECTtively changing what i love about it so much

8. blackdreamhunk

sweet can’t until it comes out

9. Tomo

Great. The chaps responsible for the intellectually stimulating Clash of the Titans and 300 are behind a Mass Effect movie.

Sounds like a match made in heaven…

10. Freek

The production company yes, who also produced The Dark Knight. All different directors and writers, resulting in different movies.
    But all high quality production values.

11. Darth_Varkatzas27

@4 ME1 Villian is Seren. what does ME have to do with the like and most importantly Star Trek…..I love having my lasers not be stuck on the STUN setting, thank you. I prefer to obliterate first and should I truly need to ask questions….well ill ask the next guy I meet before starting over again. if it is close to anything space related id tie it in with STAR WARS. cause SW believes in my way of thinking ;)

hell I anxiously await this movie rendition of my most beloved game-going-movie at least since the times of shity renditions (enter Spider-Man Toby Macguire rip-offs) game/movie/comic industries have taken into consideration the fans and have started being in contact with eachother over just taking it and shitting on it. as long as my asari, krogan, salarian, batarian, geth, turian and most favorites of all quarians are in this movie I could care less which this movie follows as long as it is EPIC

#11 11 months ago
  12. Darth_Varkatzas27

and btw everything we watch or play is “ripped” of other things that have been done. most just happen in new perspectives que-in Mass Effect. taking us to a pretty forseeable future seeing as how we’re fucking with our home like they have in the series. I can see our planet becoming a desolate wasteland on verge of collapsing in on itself at the slightest chance.

add in our race is a parasite to the other major races of the series besides rachni and krogan…..we fall right under krogan but that is quite understandable. so see sure we’ve visted space in MANY a movie and many more rip-off renditions. Mass Effect just takes us to something that is very possible of happening to us. maybe not all of it but hey if the aliens are out there then it becomes not so dissapointing to expect that future.

#12 11 months ago
  13. TheBlackHole

I love that you think that list of movies were original ideas. Cute.

Also, Mark Protosevich’s original script for I AM LEGEND was fucking amazing. They butchered the rewrite – don’t judge him on that. He’s written some really interesting stuff.

Pumped.