Next Total War for E3 reveal, going “back to basics”

Monday, 24th May 2010 07:19 GMT By Patrick Garratt

totalwar

Creative Assembly’s confirmed it’s to announce the next in the Total War series at E3, and it looks as though the guns and cannons of recent installments have been ditched for good old fashion bits of sharp metal.

The time period of the RTS is a mystery as yet, but VE3D appears to know.

“Let’s just say that the new PC-only game eschews the gunpowder weaponry of recent Total War titles and gets back to basics,” said the site.

The latest Total War game was Napoleon, set in, obviously, the Napoleonic era.

E3 runs the week of June 14 in LA.

1. seregrail7

The latest Total War game was Napoleon, set in the Napoleonic era.

2. Erthazus

“The latest Total War game was Empire”

It was Napoleon Total War :)

Can’t wait for this game. These guys kknow how to make a great strategy game.

3. Patrick Garratt

God. Ta.

4. Hunam

Empire was the last proper one, Napoleon was just a glorified addon.

5. Zonejeu

Shogun Total War remake ? Hell yeah !

6. Batsphinx

I’m putting a £3 each-way bet on it being Rome: Total War 2. It’s been long enough, and they could get the naval combat in there now.

7. ybfelix

Rome or Shogun, either one I’d be happy.

8. Old MacDonald

Wouldn’t surprise me if it was Rome II (I think the original Rome was the real breakout for the series). Though it could be any number of ancient empires/themes. Sparta: Total War?

9. BULArmy

Bulgaria:Total War. A man can dream but my country is not so interesting even if it had a major impact on Europe’s history and was one of the biggest in Europe in medieval times. Also a game about the Byzantine Empire could be interesting.

10. Uncontested

Speculation is Rome II, or something on Ancient Greece.

Those really are the only two things it could be considering.

11. DeSpiritusBellum

I think Creative Assembly have lost it completely. It’s all well and good to remake Shogun four or five times with different units, but I doubt it will bring them any sort of breakthrough.

I was looking forward to The Great War: Total War (Errr, something like that) moving around “modern” military units in less than perfect formations, on the same scale, with divisions and companies. I think they could do a lot more with the technology they have, but alas.

Personally I couldn’t get into Medieval II because it was exactly the same as Rome, and I couldn’t get into Empires because it was an unfinished mess, and I’m just not gonna buy Napoleon, because I couldn’t get into Medieval II or Empires.

12. OlderGamer

To me these apear needlessly complicated to play. I havn’t played one, but the Napoleon one has my eye. Are they hard to get into? Do they have a sandbox/skirmish mode or is it just linear sp only?

13. DeSpiritusBellum

@OlderGamer They’re really very simple.

It’s rarely more complicated than balancing the troops you’re sending up against others (ie spearmen against cavalry) and then making some pretty basic flanking maneuvers, getting the enemy into an exposed position, and slamming two blocks of soldiers into him from the rear and sides.

The AI isn’t very bright, so it’s rarely a hard thing to do.

They all have skirmish modes, but it wasn’t until Empire that they refined the campaign to bitesized chunks of on-map action, and individual historical battles. From Medieval II and going back, the games revolved around huge, fairly suffocating campaigns where you had to build armies on a world map and then send them to fortify your land or attack the enemy.

I can’t speak for Napoleon, but personally the Total War that thrilled me the most, was Rome. Even if the new campaign mode is a lot easier to handle.

14. doctorstrange

It’s well to soon, but I’d love a Medieval Total War 3

15. xino

Please let it be Spartan Total War 2!