Ephraim: Go has “blazed trail” for next PSP, mentions “smart phone” market

Monday, 24th May 2010 07:58 GMT By Patrick Garratt

pspgo2

PSP2 will be a download-only device similar to PSP go, if comments by Sony Computer Entertainment Australia are anything to go by.

Speaking to Gamespot in the interview you can find below, SCEA boss Michael Ephraim said clearly the future PSP hardware will follow PSP go’s example in dropping physical retail games.

“PSP go… was the first device of its kind, where you didn’t have packaged goods or pre-recorded media, and I think PSP go will blaze the trail for future iterations of the handheld,” he said.

Ephraim went on to say PSP is competing not only with other games devices but with phones.

“The handheld space is very crowded, not just in the game category, but also with smart phones and so on,” he said.

“We’re happy we launched it so we can understand the market and we will re-energise sales very shortly with new promotions.”

PSP2 has already been hotly rumoured to be download-only, and there have been hints the device will include a 3G connection. A powerful gaming device with a touchscreen, speaker, microphone and a 3G connection: can’t see where this is going.

The next PSP is tipped for a 2011 ship. Should start taking bets on whether or not O2 gets the UK exclusive.

[Pic]

1. Joe Anderson

I would almost certainly choose a PSP2 phone over an iphone.

2. Patrick Garratt

Innit.

3. Erthazus

@1 Me too. I don’t use my phone at all except some basic features, so handheld for gaming + with phone is enough for me.

4. Robo_1

He sure does make the word ‘Okay’ sound like ‘Shit’ when talking about Go’s sales figures. :D

Fair play though, he seemed like a pretty straight talking guy for the most part.

5. Blerk

I don’t think you could really claim that the Go has ‘blazed a trail’ to anywhere other than ‘mega-failure land’.

6. polygem

me too. i need a phone. wanna make some ok quality fotos with it. need mp3 player….AND games. if sony will bring us a machine with those features, with the already rumored unbelieveable graphic/tech specs for it and (of course) a second analog stick. i will be ultrahappy to kiss my iphone goodbye…i also like the X media bar interface. with touchscreen and some clever design ideas this could really become a nice device with a slick and userfriendly interface. i hope so. maybe ms has some plans for something beyond zune hd as well – that would be cool and tough competition. but i doubt that.

7. Bulk Slash

If Sony make a PSPhone it could be totally awesome. Despite its flaws, I really like the PSP Go. If Sony can add a decent touch screen OS, web browser (with Flash!) and most of all a great library of games it could clean up in the gamer segment of the market. Not sure if it would sell as well to casuals, though…

8. gerasimos

@1 Me too.

9. ExclusivesMostly

@1: yeah I would almost definately replace my iPhone.

10. DaMan

$999

nah, think I’ll stick with Android instead.

11. theevilaires

the psp2 really needs to come in two types like the iphone and ipod touch. I don’t know how Sony can put that much tech in a nice slim case that will hold a cell processor and still keep price reasonable.

12. OlderGamer

So many problems with this.

First off game prices. Most games for iTouch/iPhone are cheap. Anyone think the PSP2 with have a beefy game line up for less then 10usd?

Secondly data plans.

Third internet conectivity.

Fourth hardware price.

Fith size of device.

I think that this is a bad idea. Make a handheld game system and leave it at that. If they want to make a iPhone competier then do that. But just that, don’t try and merge the PSP and iPhone markets. If they think the GameBoy is tough to fight, wait till they go up against Apples iStuff.

13. Monk

All of your statement are Located in the iPhone, the biggest problem here is Sony, nothing else [ Pricing ].