Privates likely to be denied Live release

Sunday, 23rd May 2010 17:59 GMT By Joe Anderson

privates

Microsoft looks set to deny an Xbox Live indie title a release on 360 as it’s set inside the vagina and rectum.

The game, named Privates, has been developed by British firm Zombie Cow with funding from Channel 4, who planned to market it as educational.

Privates, however, looks set to be denied release on 360 at least, with Microsoft saying:

“This game has not been submitted to our pre-publication peer review process, and it has not been approved for distribution on Xbox Live Indie Games. We have guidelines in place that closely track requirements of content ratings boards worldwide and, among other things, prohibit the publication of strong sexual content.

“While we haven’t seen this game, we can confirm that if it is consistent with the description we have seen on the Internet, this game would not pass peer review and would not be permitted to be distributed on Xbox Live.”

Zombie Cow founder Dan Marshall feels his game could be used to indirectly promote safe sex through its dealing with condom use, and says it was written to follow the Personal, Social and Health Education guidelines of the British government’s National Curriculum.

“The whole thing is essentially aimed at teenage boys,” he told Seattle PI.

“That said, we’re doing it in an entertaining, funny way, so it’s approachable by people of all ages. It’s a really interesting project.”

Marshall is not worrying now about Xbox approval, as the game will be released for free on PC by Channel 4 in either case.

“It’s one of those bridges we’ll just have to cross when it comes to it,” he added.

“There was always going to be a risk it won’t pass Peer Review, but obviously we’ll do whatever we can to get the Xbox version out. It’d be a shame if a huge number of teenagers missed out on some quality gaming and vital education because of some abstract, cellular-level innards and pubic hairs.

“The feedback I’ve had so far suggests it shouldn’t be a huge problem, and I’m sure the guys doing the peer review will judge it fairly and accordingly based on a thorough playthrough of the game. Although the content nudges the boundaries of the XBIG terms, I’m pretty sure we’re acceptably within them – particularly when the educational value of the title becomes apparent.

“When we’ve got a beta build, we’ll talk to Microsoft about it and see what they say, but it’s a little too early to start worrying about that sort of thing now.”

There’s more through the link.

1. poopoofruit

Doesn’t look like bad idea.

2. Gekidami

“Indie title”

“Funding from Channel 4″

Paradox!

3. labrooks

Hardly a paradox. Indie means not being owned by a publisher.

4. Gekidami

Then that makes most dev studios ‘Indie’.

5. ShiroGamer

Love zombie cow

6. labrooks

“Then that makes most dev studios ‘Indie’.”

Yup.

‘Indie’ also has a kinda ‘sub-culture’ meaning related to internet self-distributed games created by small teams of people. Zombie Cow is definitely an indie studio if ever I saw one.

7. Anders

So, about that vagina in Brütal Legend…

8. revolting

And also the greatly pulicised phallus in GTA:The Lost and the Damned.

But then the ruleset being quoted here is aimed purely at Live Arcade submissions, not retail games (which come with their own terms and conditions) and their DLC.

9. The_Deleted

Jack Black wasn’t that bad…

10. DeSpiritusBellum

Sounds like Psychonauts going through the backdoor.

I’d still rather be a Psychonaut than an Assnaut. Pussynaut… Now there’s a thought.

11. Suikoden Fan

A cynic could say that Microsoft don’t want to promote safe sex.

I seriously wouldn’t be surprised if someone caught an STD/STI and then blamed Microsoft because they wouldn’t let this game onto live which could have prevented it from happening.

Actually to a degree I expect that to happen.

12. Dr.Freeman

although am with microsoft in this but how GTAIV pass thier “peer review”,to me it is the most violent game i’ve ever played it contain drugs,gangs,crime,stealing,bad language…..etc, n all the servers r full with kids playing it, i mean there should be some balance between the game technically and in it’s content while revewing it..

sorry for the bad english

13. frostquake

So once again the DOUBLE STANDARD…Microsoft Indie allows tons of SNIPERS games where ya get points for blowing PPl’s heads off, but anything sexual is regarded worse then Death..WTF!!

I am sad that I live in a country that would rather having us blowing the fuck out of someones head, then dealing with the inside of vagina or rectum!! This is one FUCKED UP PLACE!!

14. Phoenixblight

Then get into politics and change it. People bitch about it yet they do nothing, this country has way to change the laws and regulations but people just want to bitch and do nothing.

15. Blerk

Well, the miserable sods.

16. frostquake

@14, yeah right, Voted all my life and it never changes ANYTHING here in the US!! Politics is nothing but a corrupt, greedy bunch of people that care less about the common public. I guess if I was a money hungry, corrupt, gay, pedophile I would fit right into politics, but since I don’t want to fuck under age kids, or young pages, or stuff Tons of Money in my pocket from British Petroleum so they can create the worst disaster in the history of man, or make sure the top 7% get the biggest tax cuts while the rest of the country goes down the tube, or prevent Universal Health Care So middle America families can file bankruptcy at the highest rates ever…
    I tell you what number 14, either your an elitist who wants to keep the status quo, or someone who never votes, or votes the way the wind blows, or some Baptist Republican who hates all things sex and gays!! Though I could be wrong, you could be the pot smoking liberal that tivo’s Bill Maher every Friday..Who Knows ROFL…

17. Phoenixblight

What does me saying get into Politics have anything to do with me being an elitist, hippie or any of those things. Did I say this game needs to be banned? No I did not. I agree our country is backwards but thats because 60% of our country is religious so they believe Sex is bad and violence is ok.

18. AHA-Lambda

game is now released on pc for FREE!