Pachter: No browser for 360 as Microsoft wants to “own internet”

Sunday, 23rd May 2010 08:54 GMT By Joe Anderson

ie

Speaking on the latest version of GameTrailers show Pach Attack, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter has explained why he feels Xbox 360 will never have a browser. It’s all down to ownership, apparently.

In response to a question on the subject, Pachter said:

“The 360 doesn’t have a browser, and never will, because Microsoft’s vision when they made the original Xbox was to own the internet. The way you own the internet is to make sure all traffic that passes through your box is controlled by you.”

Pachter opined that adding social media content to Live is acceptable to Microsoft because it still doesn’t allow open browsing.

“Microsoft [said], ‘You are not getting out of this box unless we control your access.’ So when you replicate Facebook, Twitter, Nextflix on the 360 it’s not the same. You aren’t actually going to those sites; you are going to a Microsoft-controlled site where they know exactly what you are touching.

“Eventually you will be able to visit Amazon on the Xbox and you’re going to be paying them a piece of whatever purchase you conclude – well you won’t be paying them, the company you purchase from will.”

Big Mike concluded by snapping those bright red braces.

“Microsoft is all about making money, and that’s the cool thing about my job; I get to assume that everyone I talk about is greedy, and greed is good. Microsoft is going to end up charging you for everything you do, but they won’t charge you; they’ll charge the person you’re paying.”

An internet browser is something that 360 fans have been requesting for years.

You can watch Michael Pachter’s full show here.

1. SunKing

A web browser would be nice, but it’s no match for a good blaster by your– I mean, it’s no substitute for anything on the PC or Mac.

2. ninjanutta

internet sucks on consoles,thats what pcs are for,look at the browser on ps3,its as good as useless.MS are greedy bastards but i take back what i can so i cant complain

3. Old MacDonald

“Microsoft is going to end up charging you for everything you do, but they won’t charge you; they’ll charge the person you’re paying.””

Who will, in turn, charge us. You know how these things work, Pachter, no need to pretend you don’t.

4. DaMan

I’m glad the 360 doesn’t have a browser, and I hope it never gets one. they ‘ve already ruined it enough by including Twatter and Facebook. consoles should be gaming machines, not half assed all in one / media centers.

5. revolting

@4 Personally I don’t use them on the xbox either, but that said, I don’t see how the inclusion of those things “ruins” it. If you don’t want to use those features, then don’t use them. It’s that simple. Your xbox is still the same in every other way as it was before they were added. Hardly ruined. And while I don’t use Facebook or Twitter on the xbox, the addition of LastFM as part of the same social utilities update was nothing short of brilliant.

While I don’t use the browser much on the PS3, I do use it sometimes. It’s clunky, sure, but certainly less so than the average mobile device, at least, and most of us are used to using those by now. It will never replace my PC for general web browsing, but it can be handy for flipping the TV over to to look up something on a wiki or whatever while I’m gaming on the xbox. Certainly not a PC-replacer, but still quite handy to have from time to time.

6. DaMan

I have to skip through craploads of non gaming things on NXE (which is otherwise a great interface, and I really wouldn’t want them to change it again) that I never use. well, not exactly craploads *yet*, but still. besides Sony/MS artificially increase the cost of their machines with stuff like that, particularly when it has that out of the box. the trend is very bad, and I hope MS won’t follow Sony with this.

7. DrDamn

I’ve used the PS3 browser a lot. Looking up gaming info and posting to forums after an online session is useful. Wish the browser was a bit more robust though. Recent trip to a big website met with frustration and failure. Ok so they can’t test everything but you’d think http://www.Sony.com (US site) would bloody work wouldn’t you?

8. endgame

in other words: we own u u f**king console losers. haha

9. cookiejar

If its Internet Explorer, then they can keep it anyway.

10. ninjanutta

endgame,you are a fucking tool mate.what do you own??? what are you 12 or something..TWAT…just cant afford a console and decent tv more like

11. Retroid

PS3 browser is rather aces for downloading HD stuff off Revision3.com, and I’m pleased that iPlayer supports it now (albeit imperfectly, but good enough) but either it’s become more unstable or more sites are breaking it :(

12. DrDamn

13. Bulk Slash

This is good news, the fewer machines with Internet Exploder on it the better.

14. Syrok

“Handy little tip if you want to use YouTube on the PS3. Go to http://www.ps3youtube.com instead and follow the instructions, same content but at least you get 360/480p (no 720p). Massive difference in quality when you compare stuff like the vid you can upload in Just Cause 2 for example.”

Or simply use youtube.com/tv :)

15. DrDamn

@14 Oh I have, the quality of the vids is atrocious in comparison – just try it.

16. Syrok

I see. I only the browser from time to time to have display references so that I don’t have to switch back and forth between the writing program and the browser on my computer. :)

17. xino

lol doesn’t make sense, basically Microsoft don’t charge you

18. Galactic_Barret

The browser seriously needs an upgrade. First, Hulu stopped working. No biggie. Then, the PS blog’s videos stopped working. Problem, but Youtube offered a decent solution. Now, wikipedia is crapping out. PS3 browser is good for referencing, watching/downloading videos/movies/music. Now, I’ve lost 2 of its 3 best usage points. No good.

19. onlineatron

A 360 browser would be undoubtedly worse than the PS3s…

This isn’t a fanboy spiel, it’s the truth.

Two words will resonate my point to others

‘Internet Explorer’

POS

20. tildeathtattoo

I really don’t understand why everybody has to complain about the PS3′s browser. It’s free and can be useful at times. I would understand all the complaining if Sony were to charge for the use of the browser but they don’t. Like other people have already stated, it won’t be replacing computers anytime soon but it can be a handy feature sometimes. People need to quit complaining about features that are being offered for free. It’s like me giving $100 dollars to someone and having them complain because it was all in five dollar bills. Shut up and accept what you are receiving at no cost. People are so ungrateful nowadays it just amazes me sometimes.

21. Erthazus

I use PS3 browser a lot. For example the fastest site for me is VG247.
    It’s absolutely perfect to browse news from it. The only option i need is multitasking. I hate to shut off game and then only browse the internet.

Yeah, if someone want to watch the videos it could be pain in the ass. But news or email is not a problem at all.

22. DrDamn

So who did pay for the development costs of the PS3 browser? Pixies? It had to be covered somewhere so even if it’s a tiny amount on the price of a PS3 we did still pay for it.

I do appreciate the availability of the browser – I just think it’s a bit poor when a website like http://www.sony.com doesn’t work properly with it. I think any major games website should do some basic testing to check their site works ok with the available console browsers (PS3/Wii) – I’ve even brought up this point with vg247 before when there have been issues. However, if Sony don’t do this themselves then why should anyone else bother?