MTV expected higher sales for The Beatles: Rock Band

Friday, 21st May 2010 18:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

thebeatles

MTV Games general manager Scott Guthrie has said that The Beatles: Rock Band didn’t sell as well in Europe as the company had hoped, but in the end, it’s still pleased with how it did.

Speaking with MCV, Guthrie laid part of the blame on the economy last year, as well as competition.

“We got caught in a few things that happened last year,” he said. “It was a tough economy; there was a lot of competitive products out there, and I think Beatles probably had softer sales than it would have if some of those things weren’t in play.

“Overall we were pleased with the sales. I think that we underestimated the competition and they took mind share away from us”.

Guthrie also said that with the genre’s peripherals already in households, people are no longer purchasing as many full-kit packages, and are instead buying the software only.

“Music games are still significant in the marketplace – they’re the number two genre behind shooters,” he said.

“We have a long way to go, and we are playing catch-up – we were not the first people in the market and we’re up against not just a formidable opponent in Activision, but also Sony with the SingStar franchise.

“There are several things in play here – but we absolutely believe we can be the market leader.”

During the same interview, Guthrie revealed that MTV expects Green Day to fare better in the market, since 16-34 year-olds are more familiar with them than The Beatles.

Green Day: Rock Band’s out worldwide for PS3, Wii and Xbox 360 on June 8, and Rock Band 3 will be getting its first public viewing at E3.

1. OlderGamer

Should have been DLC, simple as that.

2. Goliath

I don’t know why. The Rock Band generation aren’t huge Beatles fans.

3. Johnny Cullen

It was awesome. It deserved more. :(

4. OlderGamer

To be honest I am not sure you can label an age group as a Rock Band Generation. I am older and I play it. Alot of my friends play it. Alot.

Sure younger crowds play it too, but that can be said with most any game. It is just that more so then the seemingly endless wave of shooters, the age of players of RB is far more deverse.

I do like different songs then the younger crowds, mostly. But just that the beatles, to me, didn’t come across as a strong game title. I like their songs, but not being able to import it into my much larger libary of RB/RB2 songs means that I don’t play beatles much.

You have a group of friends over and 2 people want to play 4 soungs from the Beatles game, but everyone else wants to play songs on the main game. We often don’t put in the beatles just for that reason.

Would have made better dlc.
    Same for GreenDay really, ‘cept that can imported.

5. MushroomStamp

Becuase noone under the age of 40 really gives a rat’s ass about the Beatles. They are irrelevant to today’s music generation. They aren’t played or heard on the top 100 stations in the US. Old people like them for nostalgic reasons, but most people could give a care less about OLD music. The numbers speak for themselves, so all you people I argued this with when it came out.. well.. you were wrong. It should have been DLC