Report – Red Dead Redemption cost $100 million during development

Wednesday, 19th May 2010 15:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Red Dead Redemption 2

According to a report from the Daily Mail – of all places – Red Dead Redemption cost over $100 million during its development period.

The online article quotes: “Makers Rockstar Games are thought to have spent up to $100million on the long-awaited project.”

And before you ask, no, the publication isn’t actually bashing the Rockstar San Diego western – as far as we can tell anyways.

Read the full thing here.

Red Dead Redemption is out now in the US, with a UK release on Friday for PS3 and 360. It’s totally the best game ever, according to most reviews.

It gets its first DLC in the form of co-op and more next month.

Thanks, MaxConsole.

1. Erthazus

Oh my… They need to sell more then 2 million copies to be profitable with this.

2. thegamerz

Oh my… They need to sell more then 2 million copies to be profitable with this.

Theyve probably already sold that!

3. thegamerz

I somehow doubt it cost them 100 Million dollars though

4. Johnny Cullen

If it has cost $100 million – and GTA IV was apparently the most expensive game ever made at the same number of $100 million – they can probably recoup that back.

Easily, in fact, considering the amount of hype for it as of this week.

5. Phoenixblight

They need to sell 5 million to even make a profit. With all the drama that came with the game like the racing team merging with the studio to make the game and drama with the spouses of the employees. I am not sure why they even bothered continuing development with this game. Especially when the original didn’t even do that well.

6. Robo_1

I don’t know why, but this one hasn’t grabbed me.

Could a fan of the game say in a nut shell what the fuss is all about, and what it’s doing which makes it such a marquee title.

7. OlderGamer

I’m with Robo, I guess I just don’t get it. Can someone fill us in?

8. Phoenixblight

Its GTA with tumbleweeds and horses.

9. Dralen

If that is true they must either have alot of confidence in their ability to create a good game, or in their ability to create alot of hype for their game.

I just went down to game today to preorder my copy :D.

10. Blerk

Grand Theft Cowboy. What’s not to like? Unless you don’t like Grand Theft Auto. Or cowboys.

11. Robo_1

I actually bought and enjoyed the original Red Dead Revolver. It was a fun little action game, but the wild west setting never really did anything for me. The GTA games have never been my cup of tea either, so I suppose that all stacks up to a big old meh regards Grand Theft Cowboy.

Fair play, I mean there’s a hell of a buzz for the game across the net, so it’s clearly something a lot of people have been wanting, but yeah, I suppose I’m just surprised it’s got such a strong audience.

12. theevilaires

All I know is this game is pretty good so far. The presentation is top notch AAA+ quality. Rockstar really are a bunch of talented guys.

This industry needs a few more games based on westerns I think and Red Dead Redemption is the coolest so far.

Thanks Rockstar.

13. Howie Feltersnatch

Which versions better for a fan with both systems?

14. mington

comparison pics….but i can’t tell the difference, i’m getting on ps3

15. Gheritt White

@ 13: Whichever controller you prefer, innit.

16. Blerk

Comparison pics.

Of course, the correct answer is probably ‘whichever platform most of your friends bought it for’ if you’re even remotely interested in the multiplayer.

17. OlderGamer

And the xb360 won’t do lan for the game.

But those things should be of minor concern for fans. If you have both systems get it for whatever one you like.

My two cents is I buy most of my MP based games on xb360 because of LIVE.

But this game? No clue. Guess I can rent it.

18. Blerk

People still do LAN? How quaint! :-D

/awaits irate PC owners

19. mington

DAMN, looks as though its a lot better on 360

20. Erthazus

Yeah, i saw screenshots it’s very sad. Very, very sad port.

My copy will arrive soon and i really dissapointed with my preorder. If this is truth then i don’t know what to say.

PS3 version cries for patch.

21. Howie Feltersnatch

Thanks. Yeah, the screenshots definitley look sharper on 360. Good to know!

22. OlderGamer

But really, I don’t think it is going to impact the enjoyment of the game. Seems like a minor res difference not that big of a deal.

23. theevilaires

@ 13 I agree with Gheritt. Which ever controller you are more comfortable with because this game is HUGE. You don’t want your hands to start cramping or anything.

If control is not the case then go with the online factor. Which system will most of your friends be playing this on.

Don’t forget about trophies too :D

24. Erthazus

@22 I think it will:

1) Less Grass

2) Less details

3) Worse frame rate

this is just bad for a game that costs 39.99 GBP.

I think this game was made for Xbox 360 and PS2. Hmmm… Then Sell it for PS2 if it is SUB HD and without AA.

25. dfar80

Less grass in a game is not necessarily a bad thing.

26. G1GAHURTZ

It is if you’re try to get ‘value’ out of your £300 graphics card.

27. OlderGamer

Or buy it for xb360 if you have that option.

Don’t reward lazy porting by buying a copy of the port. If you don’t have the option to get either copy and find yourself faced with this type of situation often, maybe you should consider … I won’t finish that one.

28. Erthazus

@26 what is this has to do with the graphics card? I bought it already for Ps3 and waiting till it will come to my home.

@27 i don’t have that option and i hope for the damn patch.

29. Old MacDonald

Heh. For someone like me, who grew up with 8-bits, the complaints about small differences between the two versions are really rather amusing. I often bought games that looked NOTHING like the pictures on the back, because those were from other versions.

30. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, they always put the 32 colour, 486 version on the back of the box, but my 8 colour 286 version never looked anything like it!

31. Gheritt White

@ 30 – or worse, C64 screenhots on the back of Spectrum packaging!

32. OlderGamer

lol sometimes I miss the ole C-64

So many good memories.

33. PsychoPCG

Have already played like 5-6 hours of the game. Great stuff.
    All you expect from an open world game made by R* devs.
    The whole game’s world looks alive and the missions had enough variety so far.
    I recommend this to any sandbox or western fan.
    And about that 360 vs PS3 comparison … It looks like the PS3 version is not in HD. yeah, sad but true.