Report – Elite IV on hold at Frontier

Wednesday, 19th May 2010 17:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

elite

Frontier’s put on hold Elite IV, according to a report from Eurogamer.

The game was in a pre-production phase recently, according to the site, but the project has since been put on hold. Its could be down to The Outsider, another project at the developer for next-gen consoles, now in full production, according to EG sources.

Studio boss David Braben confirmed that there had been some “staff changes” recently on the project, but didn’t confirm if development had actually frozen.

“We don’t comment on rumours,” said Braben in response to the rumours. “There have been recent staff changes on the project, and our commitment to the game is as strong as ever.”

EG sources also said that Frontier was aiming for PC and consoles for E4, as it was during a presentation given by Braben a couple of years ago at Gamecity.

Elite, released in the mid-80s, was a space trading game made by Braben and Ian Bell for BBC Micro. Its since gone on to release on several platforms.

Two sequels spawned in 1993 and 1995 respectively, with Elite IV in development since for 12 years.

1. Lutz

I wish Braban would just admit that he doesn’t have the talent or the bollocks to make this game and sell the rights to a developer that has. It does *not* take 12 years to make a game. And “waiting for tech to catch up with your ideas” (another excuse he’s pulled in the past) is bullshit. You don’t need buckets of power to have great gameplay. Elite proved that back in ’84. Evidently Ian Bell was the main guy behind that.

2. Blerk

He doesn’t appear to be able to finish The Outsider either. I’d be very interested to see what they’ve actually gotten done – am I right in thinking we still haven’t even seen a single in-game screenshot?

3. Gadzooks!

There are so many people crying out for a new Elite, I reckon it would probably sell at least 5 kajillion copies.

How inept do you have to be to pass up an opportunity to make a game of such magnitude? Or maybe as Lutz says he knows he can’t produce a game that won’t curl out a steamer on the memory of the original Elite.

I just wish some other devs would see this genre vacuum and shove some tasty space trading/combat game in there. It could quite easily be a PSN/XBLA game as I dont think production values need to be huge as long as depth and good combat are there.

I guess we have Starhawk coming which will hopefully fill part of that void.

Do you guys think the genre is really that hard a sell?

4. Blerk

I think PSN/XBLA is the only way they could do this at the minute, mainly because I do wonder if the genre is still marketable in this day and age. I’d love to believe that it is, but times change and so do tastes.

5. Gadzooks!

Sadly you are probably right about it not being that marketable anymore. I’d be happy enough with a PSN/XBLA game though.

/Too old to rock’n'roll, too young to die.