Rumour – PS Home to go international soon

Tuesday, 18th May 2010 08:32 GMT By Johnny Cullen

homelogo

Looks like PlayStation Home might be going international, according to a rumour from TheSixthAxis.

It claims users from different regions will soon be able to meet up with each other in Home. A specific space will apparently be used for international relations.

So far, Home’s only allowed people from their specific region to meet each other, so UK peeps can only meet other UK peeps, for example.

Sony said at the end of last month it’s already working on a new Home Square and shopping mall for the service. More details of them are due to drop next month.

Keep that salt nearby, though, for the meantime.

1. 52pickup

Awesome! Now you can get verbal abuse in even more languages!

2. Razor

All four people care about this news.

3. mojo

Home goes back to where it came from would sound better to me..
    if at least the button would be removable from the xmb it would be sweet..
    How often did i start home allready when i actualy would go to psn store..

4. Johnny Cullen

I actually remember the last time I used Home: the night Michael Jackson died. :D

It was actually mental that night in Home Square. :D

5. Gadzooks!

I have never, and will never, touch that Home icon. I cannot think of a worse waste of time and resources.

6. JPickford

Closing down a few servers?

7. Robo_1

If you’ve never used it, how on Earth can you say with such confidence that it’s such a waste of time? I don’t use it often, but I’ve had fun on there when I’ve visited, there really is plenty to do these days. The Buzz space is awesome. :)

Anyway, it must be putting money in Sony’s coffers, otherwise they wouldn’t be further expanding it like this. Sony are hardly in a financial position to develop a feature that isn’t either being used or generating them money, purely to save face.

Well it does say “A specific space will apparently be used for international relations.” so I don’t think it’s that.

8. JPickford

I’ve tried it Gadzooks. It’s bloody dreadful. It takes an age to install, keeps needing further downloads and there’s nothing there but adverts anyway.

9. Bulk Slash

This would be that annoying menu option that I’ve never clicked on that gets in the way whenever I want to get to the Playstation Store, right?

10. Gadzooks!

I used Home once on a friends PS3 before I bought mine. It was a very unpleasant experience that I never want to repeat.

And yes, I know it’s free and I dont have to use it, but imagine the quality PSN games that dev time could have funded…

11. Robo_1

The 3.5 update dramatically speeds up loading and makes navigation a lot easier. If you don’t like it or use it then fine, but there really are some nice spaces on there nowadays, it’s far more than the husk of adverts it was at launch.

12. Robo_1

But if Home is profitable for Sony and it has found an audience who are willing to invest time and money into it, it’s clearly been a success for them.

Sony has also put out a lot of exclusive content this and last year, so I don’t see that it’s adversely effected their gaming output.

As I say, just ignore it and let those who like it continue to enjoy it.

13. JPickford

Sod that. I’m going to stop you enjoying it Robo_1.

Bwah ha haaaa!!!

14. Robo_1

Is this your way of telling me that my dreams of playing FEUD on Home have just been dashed. ;)

15. Blerk

Hopefully we’ll still get “Avatar Zub” on XBLA.

16. Johnny Cullen

I’d be lying if I said Sony’s not done anything to improve it in the past two-and-a-half years since its launch, it really is a lot better then it was back then.

Then again, what the fuck do I know? I haven’t used it in almost a year.

…which might be the problem itself.

17. JPickford

Must stop using my own name when trolling.

This post has been sponsored by Magnetic Billiards.

18. Kerplunk

I loved the C64 loading screen for Feud.

Very good. A++++. Would load again.

19. Mike

Home is just one in a long line of Sony blunders. Perhaps the biggest one.

20. OlderGamer

Home shouldn’t go international. Home should just go away.