If you thought a hint that PSP2 may make an appearance at E3 was exciting, get a load of this shit.
- MCV rumoured last week that Sony “could” announce PSP2 at E3.
- VG247 goes digging. According to a source familiar with the matter, it’s “99 percent” it isn’t an E3 reveal.
- But there’s much, much more.
- Multiple British sources have confirmed that PSP2 NDAs have been in place at publishers and developers for many months.
- PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing.
- It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark physical PlayStation buttons.
- UK sources were previously working towards a “2010” release. This is now “2011”.
- One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy.
- Multiple PSP2 games are being made in Britain right now. Some have even already been canned.
- There have been “finished units” in the UK, but we haven’t spoken to anyone that’s seen a final case.
- When asked directly about reveal timing, one source said, “If the games were aiming for end 2010, beginning 2011, and now it’s a 2011 release, I’d say a gamescom or TGS announce for launch early next year”.
- One source told us the machine is “fucking powerful,” being based on a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.
Crapped yourself yet? Good. Remember, “99 percent” certainty leaves “1 percent” of uncertainty. Don’t take your eyes of Jack’s hands in Sony’s E3 press conference on June 15.
We will, of course, be there.
Sometimes we include links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.