Pachter: Natal and Move “upgrade” 360 and PS3

Sunday, 16th May 2010 08:26 GMT By Joe Anderson

move5

Speaking on the latest version of GameTrailers show Pach Attack, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Patcher has said he thinks Natal and Move are going to allow Microsoft and Sony to boost their respective console’s power.

In response to a question regarding whether console manufacturers could allow for their systems to be upgraded in the future, Patcher said:

“We are going to see an upgrade with Natal and Move, so the console manufacturers are open to it but I don’t think they are ready to allow you to upgrade a graphics card.”

The analyst added that adding system spec with additional hardware in this way is preferable for the first party’s as they’re none too keen on having people whack in extra grunt by physically opening console.

“I think that if companies were to allow users to upgrade consoles in the future, any upgrades would have to be external,” he said.

“I say that not because it is technologically impossible but it is just that the boxes right now are made to be tamper proof.

“They’re intended for people not to open them up and put mod chips in them… If you can open it and upgrade components, then you can figure out a way to overcome digital rights, put in a mod chip and then rip off all the software and all your friends’ software and play it all on your console.

“The console manufacturers have no interest in allowing that to happen.”

An upgrade it may be, but there’s been heavy talk of Natal being technically scaled back from its original vision.

Natal is going to play a key part in Microsoft’s E3 showing next month, with the motion camera getting its own LA event on Sunday, June 13. A launch date is expected at the show, but has recently been pegged as October by MS staff.

Move, PS3′s motion wand, is yet to be dated.

You can watch Michael Patcher’s show in full here.

1. one million

So that’s why PS3s are so hard to crack, it’s the sturdy plastic casing! Daaaaamn.

2. ybfelix

Slow news day, I see.

3. Robo_1

It’s called a Sunday!

4. Retroid

/Tries to plug 32X into PS3

5. mojo

captain obvious strikes again.

/falls asleep

6. c0d3m45t3r

I still don’t understand where this Patcher guy came from. He himself said that he was really a nobody when it comes to game development/journalism/statistics. He is someone in an insurance company? So why is he quoted all over the internet?

7. PS3_Rules

Does anybody really care what he has to say? I mean anyone who calls the Playstation Move a Wii HD is obviously an complete idiot.

You can clearly see the huge difference, especially after playing games like Monster Buck Hunter on the Wii, you literally don’t aim at what you’re shooting, you aim at the stupid Wii sensor bar.
    It’s just flat out ridiculous to call the Playstation Move a Wii in HD, Pachter must be blind not to see the difference & he’s very ignorant when it comes to motion controls, he is a total failure.

8. Erthazus

@7 he is saying in terms of market.
    Actually, PS3 with Playstation move is a Wii HD. More precise or better, it’s still is a Wii HD.

9. PS3_Rules

You keep telling yourself that, I’m sure all the 360 fanboys do.

The Wii is a flash gun with motion sensors and the Move is not, to say it’s a Wii HD is simply idiotic.

10. Erthazus

@9 In terms of technology it is not a Wii HD, in terms of market recognition it is a Wii HD, you can say what you want but this is what most of people recognize from Move.

Let me explain: Ps3 can play HD? Can. + Now we can use a wand in or hand that is similar to Wii motion controller with sub controller? Yup. = Wii HD.

and thats what Pachter is saying.

11. PS3_Rules

By saying “in terms of market recognition” is just a nice way of saying stupid people will think it’s a Wii HD.
    So like I already said, you 360 fanboys can just keep telling yourselves that, whatever makes you feel better.

“Now we can use a wand in or hand that is similar to Wii motion controller with sub controller?”
    No it is not “similar” at all really.

But still to call the Playstation Move a Wii HD is purely idiotic as there is plenty of things the Playstation Move is capable of that the Wii is not or ever will be.

Only simple minded people think the Move is a Wii HD when in fact it is not, not even close.

12. DaMan

The King?

13. Erthazus

“OK, it’s black not white.. Happy?”

Wii have a black version :D

“Basically you’re saying don’t talk about the key differences”

Typical consumer don’t give a shit about differences. The experience is going to be the same: Wagling like an idiot, but this time experience will be smoother because Playstation Move have BETTER precise and technology.

Core of the technology is absolutely the same and that makes Playstation 3 as this generation Wii HD.

14. PS3_Rules

OK, it’s black by default.. Happy?
    Basically you’re saying don’t talk about the key differences but tell me how it’s different, that’s about as idiotic as calling the Playstation Move a Wii HD.

15. Erthazus

“OK, it’s black not white.. Happy?”

Wii have a black version :D

“Basically you’re saying don’t talk about the key differences”

Typical consumer don’t give a shit about differences and thats important. The experience is going to be the same: Wagling like an idiot, but this time experience will be smoother because Playstation Move have BETTER precise and technology.

16. Galactic_Barret

Seriously, PS3 + Move is Wii HD. I’m both proud of and happy about that fact. That means plenty of HD Wii ports, new 3rd party exclusives specifically for the Move, and Sony’s own special brand of 1st party gold. Getting a peripheral that mimics the Wii, upgraded, for a fraction of its price is a good thing. At least I think so.

And enough with the ‘fanboy’ name dropping. PS3 is the only current gen system I own, and I perfectly understand and agree with Pachter on this Wii HD front.

17. Erthazus

@16 Absolutely agree with you. I never said that PS3 as the Wii HD is a bad thing.
    It really can bring what Nintendo can’t do.

18. PS3_Rules

Anyone who says the Playstation Move is a Wii HD is clearly ignorant of what the Playstation Move is & can do, period.

Idiotic for sure.

19. Galactic_Barret

Just hush, guy. Please. I’m almost begging, dude. You’re being really defensive over something trivial. You see, I could understand if someone emphasized its “only” a Wii HD, but no one did. Everyone understands that the PS3 (and Move, hopefully) is more capable than the Wii, technically. As a PS3 owner, you’re setting us back 2 years. Knock it off.

You want to make sure the PS3 gets its due? I’m fine with that, but don’t be an douchebag. Definitely don’t need anymore of those here.

20. DaMan

says the dickrider who recommends others not giving advice on games because their tastes are different, hmm?

21. Galactic_Barret

You gave no advice, though. You only said LoK was terrible and I commented on your poor tastes in games. Don’t be mad. I’m sure you’ll survive my critique.

22. PS3_Rules

“Everyone understands that the PS3 (and Move, hopefully) is more capable than the Wii”

Adding hopefully to that sentence wasn’t smart, because all you have to do is watch the Playstation Move in action to see it’s superiority to the Wii, I mean on the Wii when you play a shooting game you don’t even aim at what you’re shooting at, you aim at the Wii’s sensor on the Playstation Move you aim at the screen and exactly what you’re shooting at, so to say hopefully about something being more capable about something that is obviously better isn’t very bright.
    Let me ask you this: what would you rather aim at, the screen or the Wii’s sensor bar? it’s really common sense.
    Had you not said hopefully I would have just left it alone.
    I stand by my “to say it’s a Wii HD is simply idiotic” sentence.

23. Galactic_Barret

Guy, what are you talking about? I said hopefully, everyone knows the Move is more powerful. As in, I would like to believe everyone realizes as much. Stick to whatever you want, but you’re very wrong. I know about the Move and the PSEye, I know about the Wii and its sensor bar. I’m fine calling it a Wii HD, that sensor bar doesn’t factor because its unimportant to the generalization.

Your overreacting is ok. Just wish you didn’t have PS3 in your name.

24. Erthazus

@Ps3_Fanboy, who fucking cares about technology when you use it the same way as Wii mote? No one cares. I say NO ONE!
    Another great marketing move, but now from sony to make fanbots think that: Our Dildo is NOT a Wii mote.

Open your eyes. It’s a Wii (PS Move) HD (Shitty otdated HD hardware). thats it buddy. Say what you want, but this is truth. No one cares that the PS Move motion controller features an orb at the head which can glow in any of a full range of colors using RGB light-emitting diodes to track movements.
    No one cares.

25. PS3_Rules

Again you’re both ignorant of what the Playstation Move can do, it hilarious how bent out of shape you kids get because you think it’s just a Wii HD when it’s obviously far from it, HILARIOUS.
    And once again, to say it’s a Wii HD is blatant stupidity at it’s finest. ;)

I believe the Playstation Move Kevin Butler from the future commercial said it best. “because real boxers don’t fight like this”

26. Gheritt White

*slow clap*

27. Erthazus

@25 wash your brains out of marketing campaign.
    Kevin Butler slapped Natal too and what?

And i’m not ignorant of what Playstation Move can do, but CORE mechanics of that device is straight from Wii mote. Fact.

Only blatant fanboys with the PS3_Rules will say that it is teh revolution. I agree that it does everything right what Wii does wrong, but it’s a freakin’ Wii mote and everybody recognize it as the Wii mote.
    Like Natal is a Playstation Eye rip off but with 3d depth.

Grow up seriously.

28. PS3_Rules

Like I said before you just keep telling yourself that, you might even start to believe it. ;)

29. Galactic_Barret

Me? Ignorant of the Move? Surely, you jest. I’ve seen every dev diary, every column by Dr. Marks on the subject.

This is a pretty sad day. You have single-handedly confirmed all the stupid things I didn’t want to believe about PS fanboys. Irrational, reactionary, obtuse. You raze the ground to make a point, including all well-wishers and supporters. The sole reason gamers and the internet annoy me: In any face-to-face conversation, no one would be this purposely obtuse.