Split/Second vid outlines “exciting chopper game modes”

Tuesday, 11th May 2010 09:55 GMT By Patrick Garratt

splitsecond4

Some headlines are born great. Some have greatness thrust upon them.

The latest Split/Second game mode trailer shows your car dodging increasingly difficult waves of missiles being fired into the road from a helicopter. Another mode allows you to deflect the missiles back by powering up a meter.

The game’s really good now, cock jokes aside. Split/Second’s an action racer based on driving very fast and things blowing up. Simplicity is a good thing.

It’s out for PS3, 360 and PC on May 21.

1. Blerk

/sniggers

2. tenthousandgothsonacid

I wasn’t that convinced by the ps3 demo to start with, but it kept growing on me and now I’ve been playing it every night. It just took a while to get used to their handling after years of burnout.
    It’s an utterly daft game that I would have invented when I was twelve and yet they’ve pulled it off. Enormous fun :D

Pre-ordered it for 30 quid from a listing on gamestracker.com

3. KAP

Im totally with you m8 it took me a little while to get used to it but now i find the game amazin. I thought PURE was a really polished game and can tell the same has gone into SS too… cant wait for it.

A Racing Game with a Twist indeed

4. Joe Anderson

This is one of the games I have preordered this month. Excited.

5. sh33py666

Fnar, fnar.

6. Tallon 4

Now play the vid without the sound.
    Then you actually see how slow the cars are.
    Was pumped for this, but there seems to be no speed

7. Jet Black

Have to agree with Tallon 4, I’ve played the demo over & over & find that there is a real lack of speed & urgency. I’ve came in first every time I’ve played the demo with no real challenge & felt like I’ve coasted around the track… The handling also seems sluggish & unresponsive too, I went back & played Burnout paradise for comparisons sake & have to say that still after all this time it still manages to raise the blood pressure & excitement. Split/Second just feels flat which is a real shame because I really want to like it… I’ll save my money & continue to play Burnout Paradise unless of course Split/Second gets a needed injection of speed before release.

8. daytripper

loved the demo, day 1 for me

9. xino

nah…I’m not digging this helicopter mode:/

looks like a mode that would quickly get boring so fast.

10. xino

@6 and @ 7.
    Since when did sound defined speed!??
    how the hell is the car slow? unless you keep getting hold by power plays and have to start at Gear 3.

Lack of speed? sorry, you must be used to GT and Forza slow games.

It’s best if you two sick to Blur:/

11. Jet Black

@10 Xino
    The car is undeniably slower in feel to the cars of Burnout which is what my comparison was based on & in my opinion is still the franchise to beat within this genre of racer. As I’ve already stated I really want to like this game but with the continued playtime of the demo it really does feel slow, unresponsive & ultimately unexciting, I remain unconvinced…
    p.s Xino ever heard of the speed of sound ;-)

12. Tallon 4

@ Xino: The game is without the sound even slower, that was what I meant to say. But hey…we’re not the only one who’s complaining about the lack of speed. Just google…

If the speed is good enough for you, so be it. But what I am looking for in arcade racers is facemelting speed. In comparison with BLUR, yes….this game feels kinds slow.
    The 30fps doesn’t help either.

And If you mention Forza and GT as slow, you must have driven the wrong cars..And if that was really the case it would be no problem, because both games are simulating real life and S/S isn’t.