LittleBigPlanet 2 – Movie, screens, art, a picture of some love robots

Monday, 10th May 2010 14:00 GMT By Patrick Garratt

lbp22

Update: Movie’s there now.

Original: The frankly amazing LittleBigPlanet 2 may have been spunked all over the internet this weekend thanks to subs issues, but there’s still plenty you haven’t seen. Look below.

The just-released shots and art show off some of the game’s new features, such as programmable NPC Sackbots, a new Grappling Hook, the ability to make complete games and more.

Get them below. Hit this for hands-on impressions from the game’s London reveal event last week, and this for five Media Molecule interviews recorded on the day.

There’s no date as yet.

1. ExclusivesMostly

Awesome! Day 0 purchase, no that was not a typo.

Check this out as well: RoaringLion54 kills entire opposing team in UC2 by performing 5 pull downs in a row

2. Johnny Cullen

Jaw. Dropped. I want LBP2 and I want it NAOW!

3. Detale

Fooking awesome, I’m all over this when it comes out. Especially the Super Sprint style top down rat racing.

4. Erthazus

@3 RAT RACING F T W !

But maaaaaaaan, i want to create my own STACRAFT Game. Why they didn’t show any RTS STUFF… Dissapointment really.

MM fucks.

Game is incredible. Absolute Masterpiece.

5. Johnny Cullen

BTW, if anyone wants to know the name of the song in the trailer:

Passion Pit – Sleepyhead

6. DJ Deathstar

I was about to say Sleepyhead = TUNE!!!!!!!!!!

7. Detale

That was another thing I loved about the original LBP, the soundtrack was brilliant.

8. onlineatron

Sleepyhead is an amazing song!

Using it has only made me want this game more!

9. Gheritt White

Still can’t see what all the fuss is about, but the music in that trailer is super sweet.

10. Johnny Cullen

I said it before you, Gheritt. ;)

11. AHA-Lambda

thx johnny ;)

12. Gheritt White

Thanking you kindly, Mr Cullen.

13. Erthazus

@Gheritt, well of course, Halo is 100% better.

I keed :D

Fuss is about:

1) Little Big Planet 2

2) Creating Games

3) Fucking epic Art Style (Especially for me European guy.)

4) Trailer

5) and great VG247 job of course.

14. itsucks

damn shitty “bad platformer” looks just like the first one. talk about tapping the console in low hardware, lol.

15. Gheritt White

I’m glad you like the game Erthazus, I’m sure it’s amazing if you’re into that kind of thing. It’s certainly very well made technically and I can appreciate how you’d find it lots of fun. It’s not my cup of tea, however.

16. Erthazus

@15 Yeah it depends on tastes. I actually not in to Mario for example. I kinda bored with that Mushroom world with the Italian plumber.

But this i liked (except jumping that freaked me out.) But now, it’s even better, you what, don’t want to create your own Sack Halo game? Come on, should be really fun to share levels… i mean GAMES.

I, for example want to create Starcraft game. :D Maybe first decent next gen RTS on consoles :D

17. Blerk

I certainly wanted to like LBP a lot more than I actually did in the end. It looks and sounds fantastic, but I didn’t find it as fun to play as I expected to and I never even touched the level editor.

That trailer’s superb, though. The fans are going to be stoked.

18. AHA-Lambda

@17 – yea same with me really.

If you dont use the creator tools then the potential of LBP really falls short. However I still found it fun in part due to its cute aesthetic :P

this is still for me a day one buy even if i dont use the creator tools :D

19. Gheritt White

Making my own games holds no appeal for me – that’s what designers get paid for, IMHO. If generating content is your cup of tea, more power to you – personally, I just don’t have the patience.

I do admire people who are creative in their free time, however the closest I get is writing comic book scripts that’ll never be published.

20. Erthazus

@17, Blerk, levels are the most boring stuff in LBP. The cake is in the editor.
    Singleplayer campaign is just for example of what you can C R E A T E.

With LBP 2 i will miss the whole campaign for example. Maybe will play few examples to understand how it’s done or how it’s work and after that, i’m going to spend DAYS creating RTS games such as Starcraft or C&C.

@18 come on people… Whats wrong with you… the whole point of this game is the EDITOR. You just didn’t even touched a slice of a big pie…

21. Dannybuoy

that trailer is staggering. i hope making games is easier than making just levels (which I doubt). This game cant come soon enough. Music sounds a bit like Prefuse 73, but I see it’s Passion Pit. If you like that then check out Prefuse. Awesome stuff

22. OlderGamer

The biggest(maybe only) PS3 exclusive for me this year.

Really enjoyed tinkering with the last one, and the sequel seems to be headed in the right direction.

23. Blerk

I find making levels tedious stuff, Erthazus. LBP’s tools are fairly easy to use, but actually producing a level of even moderate quality is very long-winded and I just don’t have the patience or inclination to do so. I’ve downloaded a whole bunch of levels for the PSP version but none of them seem to be even nearly as good as the built-in ones.

24. Erthazus

@19 For real? I think you just never touched LBP. You never had a dream to create your own great game? Maybe your own Halo game? Or other great game?

You are writting comic books and don’t want to create something from them? LBP editor is not just boring scripts and other stuff that programmers use, it’s very intuitive and fun editor.

This time it’s going to be more complex, but more features like Sackbots and genre mechanics. I think it’s crazy.

25. Erthazus

PS: Guys, i just watched the trailer again and probably there is a hint that Little Big Planet 2 will support 3D. It’s from 1:03-1:08. There is a sack guy with 3D glasses.

26. OlderGamer

2D shooters.

Top down racers.

Side scrolling rpgs.

If I can make those type of games, I will get lost forever in this game.

I saw that too Erth, but I don’t have one of those tvs that can do it.

27. Gadzooks!

I have LBP and enjoyed it up to a point. I absolutely love the art style and the music, and some of the levels are very inventive.

However I didnt really get on with the actual platforming. I didnt like the controls and thought some of the jump puzzles were far too fiddly.

I also didn’t get on with the level creator, although I do appreciate the work other people did. One in particular was quite amazing – a fully functional calculator!

I’d like to see a much better game this time round, rather than a creation tool with a game tacked on as an afterthought.

28. Gheritt White

@ 24: I don’t think my comics would work as a game… also, Halo *really* isn’t my favourite game, so please stop banging on about it!

Making all the things OlderGamer listed holds no appeal for me, it’s just not how I’d like to spend what little spare time I have. I prefer to play games rather than make them, but if that’s what you enjoy then good for you – I’m sure you’ll find LBP2 to be a blast.

29. Detale

We (the missus and I) never really got into the creation side of LBP, but have enjoyed playing some of the community efforts immensely. We loved the story mode, and took the slightly iffy jumping as part of the overall charm. It may have resulted in a few moments of near pad destroying frustration but mostly left us in fits of hysterical laughter instead as one of us exploded in a cute but fiery puff of smoke for the fifteenth time while trying to ace a level. I can’t wait for the new game, and I’m looking forward to showing my other half the trailer when I get back home tonight.

30. The Hindle

Well thats sounding like my goty already.

31. Mike

What if, like, I don’t want to make anything, and don’t feel like playing levels that you lot play?

If they sold it without all that tacked on for £15 I’d be all over it.

32. theevilaires

I’m sure if this was a 360 exclusive Mike you’d feel much different. I bet my life on it.

33. Gheritt White

34. justiceblob

I wish MM had released a LBP soundtrack, because as much as I loved they game and dabbled with the editor ( too fiddly ==> But keyboard and mouse support is coming to fix THAT)…. My favourite part was always the songs they liscenced, unknown, quirky and PERFECT for the levels they represented.

35. zoopdeloop

I think some minds here are so fucked up from all these generic FPS and some others from their own fanboyism over one specific console that they can’t at least give credit to something really innovative…like this.Some others are just cool with it.
    Personaly i find LBP cute,interesting and fun at some point.But i don’t have the time for Level Editing which is the essence of the game…bottom line it’s not my type of game.However i give full credit to MM for something really innovative and “original” especially in this generation of so many unoriginal titles