Pachter: RTS is for the PC hardcore

Sunday, 9th May 2010 07:52 GMT By Joe Anderson

halo

Speaking on the latest version of GameTrailers show Pach Attack, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Patcher has said that he believes RTS games will never be as popular on consoles as they are on the PC.

In response to a question regarding where he thinks the future of the RTS lies, Patcher said:

“I have long been baffled as to why RTS games don’t work on consoles. I think it is partly because of the nature of the gameplay, it’s single-player and it’s turn-based.

“I play them a lot on my work PC, and I think games like this probably started with slackers like me who play games at work and don’t tell their bosses about it.

“For some reason, I think they just appeal to the more hardcore PC gamers. I personally play PC games more than any other genre, I just don’t like PC gamers that’s all.”

Patcher is, of course, one of the most opinionated guys in the industry. But then, it’s his job to be.

We took a look at the future of RTS not so long ago – see here.

1. Splitfoot

Did I miss something or does RTS no longer mean Real Time Strategy and has been redubbed Turn Based Strategy?

2. Telepathic.Geometry

I think Pikmin is an example of a nice simple RTS that could become quite popular on consoles. /shrugs

3. Freek

RTS’ are not turned based, are not exclusively singleplayer, and there are a bunch of them on consoles that have been sucesfull.

Just matter of fine tuning the fomula, as people said the same thing about FPS games….then came Goldeneye and Halo.

I seriously hope people are not taking this guy seriously beyond financial analyses. Otherwise the games industrie is in little bitt of trouble.

4. MegaGeek1

Patchers the Messiah. I cant wait until he predicts that tomorrow will be a new day.

5. Joe Anderson

@4 He certianly is hehe.

6. Uncontested

Apparently he cant figure out the difference between “Real Time” and “Turn Based”

Can we just tell people when they’re making an ass of themselves from now on instead of publishing their uninformed bullshit like its news?

7. Hunam

By bunch, you mean Halo Wars? Because that’s pretty much the only one that’s sold better than crap.

8. absolutezero

Wheres loki?

looooooooooooooki

9. blackdreamhunk

wow patcher is a real noob, rts is not a turn base. Rts and tbs are different genres. RTS makes about more than normal shooters. empire total war out sold kill zone.

games like starcraft and civilization is huge franchise.

10. Dralen

I read his opening statement and thought to myself “ah, this man knows nothing”. Has he even played an RTS?

11. LANKY

Im not a “hater” kind of guy but patcher either states the obvious as if hes got some special insite or talks complete bollacks, the guys a numpty.

12. Old MacDonald

RTS=turn based? Wow, that’s ignorant even for Pachter. Two completely different genres. And besides, consoles do turn based games pretty well. Some of the most popular games on consoles have turn based combat.

Also, early games in the genre had very high system requirements at the time, so I doubt they were played much on work machines. And even if your work machine was up to it, MS-DOS and Windows 3.11 didn’t do multitasking very well, so it’s not like you could switch to your work when the boss came in.