Super Mario Galaxy 2 gets hardware bundle, 10 from Edge

Thursday, 6th May 2010 09:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Mario Galaxy 2 BO

Update: MCV’s pulled any mention of the bundle, with the focus on the article now on the ten given by Edge.

Original: Nintendo is to release a special hardware bundle for Super Mario Galaxy 2, MCV‘s revealed.

The bundle will contain the console, controller, nunchuk and a copy of the game.

It comes on the back of Edge giving the game a ten in its review for the game, making it the 12th title to have received top marks from the publication.

Here’s a snip:

“Marvel at the pieces, but appreciate the whole. This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away. We’ve come so far, from stepping on mushrooms to drop-kicking meteors into the heart of the sun; Galaxy 2 offers a new understanding of where we’ve been, a new sense of wonder at where we’ll go next.”

Hot dog.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 releases in the UK on June 11 for Wii.

1. mington

jumping frog

2. mington

Al-bu-querque

3. Filofax

Prefab Sprouts anyone?

4. Blerk

/grinds teeth

5. mington

PREPARE TO MEET YOUR DOOM

6. Gheritt White

High kickin’ dandy, long legged candy.

7. JonFE

A couple of nights ago, I *finally* got all 120 stars on the original; some of the prankster comets were doing my head in.

I have to admit it was a liberating experience, only to be met with the terrifying prospect of playing through all 120 stars again with Luigi, to unlock the final galaxy.

Ain’t gonna happen, no sir…

8. Fin

12th game in the last 17 years, seventh in the last three.

Definitely think Edge’s standards for 10s have dropped somewhat (hello bayonetta!).

9. mington

Hello Cheshire

Her walking animation deserves a ten alone

10. AHA-Lambda

@8 yeah i must admit i still dont get the hype behind bayonetta at all =/

but yeah i expected at least a 9 for this I ain’t shocked at this getting a 10. Good on nintendo even tho i don’t like them =P

11. Tallon 4

Well deserved. This is the only reason for me to keep my Wii.

12. mington

Surely Wii’s have no resale value?

Everyone and their perverted uncle already has one already

13. Mike

Makes me want to buy a Wii FOR MY 3 YEAR-OLD son and *a-hem* never you know, show him how to play stuff and actively teach him how to play SMG2. Oh no, nothing like that. It’s his…

14. Bulk Slash

I thought when they announced SMG2 last year it was going to re-use 90% of the levels from the first one? Has that changed or have Edge completely lost the plot?

15. mington

LOL

16. daytripper

havent played a mario game since mario sunshine on the cube but respect to the franchise, its not my cup of tea anymore although i can still see why people love it

17. Boris Fett

@Bulk

That was never the case. The basic concept of SMG2 is the same as SMG1 in much the same was as SM3 was the same as SM1.

The original was perfect. This improves on it.

@Fin

Or maybe there are simply far more games of such astoundingly high quality being released now than in the past.

18. The Hindle

Ive never actually played any of the old Mario games, thats bad i know :(

19. mington

What!

2 years of college, gnvq IT
    snes emulator with super mario bros 3

good times

20. OlderGamer

Really, Hindle?

Wow man, your missing out. If you have a Wii, go dl smb3 or smbw. Classics. If you don’t own a Wii barrow someones. Whatever it takes just give Mario a go.

It won’t let you down.

21. mington

Talking about emulators

anyone played mother 3?

22. The Hindle

Im going to definatly, Mario Galaxy 2 looks awesome as does the MG 1. Can you play the old Mario games on the Wii OG? i dont know much about the console.

23. mington

OR…..

but by pirating you are selling your soul to the devil (i’m an affiliate)

24. The Hindle

:D

25. OlderGamer

The Wii will play all(that I know of)Gamecube games on the GC discs. You can DL VC games from the Nintendo store online. So that gives you a selection that ranges from NES, SNES, Gen/MegiDrive, Master System, C64, TG16/TD, NEO GEO, and … I think that it is. If the game is on the store, buy it, dl it, and enjoy.

Obviously not every game from said systems is avalible, but the list is getting longer all of the time. Plus there are a few WiiWare(think PSN/XBLA) games made esp for the Wii to DL. Some of those are very good too. Some are not. But My Life as a King and Darkoverlord(both from SQE) are excelent.

W/O trying to sound like an advert, I like the Wii. They have a few gems and a lot of classic games from older systems that make VC great.

I do not like to emulate. Not attacking anyone that does, I too have a selection of them myself(every NEOGEO game ever made). I just enjoy the retro feel of playing the game on my TV with a controler in my hand. I do often use the emus to preview games I haven’t heard of or played before.

But, imo, if you have the cash for it, the Wii makes a great second/third system to own.

Edit – the VC also has N64 games, can’t believe I overlooked those.

26. mington

yeah the wii plays gamecube discs, i played through metroid prime 2 on it

That VC is seriously over priced, when will the day come when all these classic games will be achieved and available to all for free

do the original developers of the snes and master system games get the money? doubt it very much

27. DaMan

I have a custom virtual console on my PC, lulz.

btw, I was shocked that Streets of Rage and other Mega Drive titles on XBL Arcade use Steve Snake’s code, they just copy pasted his Fusion.

28. The Hindle

Cheers OG im borrowing a Wii over the summer for Mario Galaxy 2 so ill play the other ga,es whilst im at it.

29. DaMan

btw, Hindle I’ve added your gt (just don’t post mine publicly, lol). I won’t be adding the psn though, since I’m currently selling the thing.

30. The Hindle

No problem dude.

31. OlderGamer

Feel free to add me as well DeMan, I am on Hindles, you can find me easy enough.

Getting rid of your PS3? Why? Lots of good stuff on there too.

32. DaMan

er, okay I will.

tough times :) anyway I lost interest in it when pretty much all the games I’ve been playing on PS1&2 went to 360, a shitty port of Bayo was the final nail in the coffin. the way sony gaming library is going doesn’t appeal to my tastes. it’s just me.