GT5 is still 90% finished, says Yamauchi

Monday, 3rd May 2010 09:29 GMT By Johnny Cullen

gt55

No better, no worse. Polyphony boss Kazunori Yamauchi has said that Gran Turismo 5 is still 90 percent finished.

“Gran Turismo 5 is about 90 percent finished,” he told Inside Line (via GT Planet). “There are currently around 140 people working on the project.”

Yamauchi said the exact same thing back in January, when he said the racer was, yes, 90 percent complete.

“About 90% of the game is done. We are just working on the last 10% and polishing up everything,” Yamauchi told USA Today at the start of the year.

We’re excited for it, but please do release it this side of 2010: it’s been too bloody long. It seems that fall might be when we’re getting it, anyways.

1. Herlock

Running gag :)

2. Johnny Cullen

Getting well past the stage of “ridiculous” now.

3. Patrick Garratt

Bloody hell.

4. Anders

That’s what you get when you use percentages.

5. Isuru86

Anyone really still looking forward to this game ?

6. Detale

7. KaRmAChAnG

8. Freek

On release it’ll still be 90% done, the rest is coming in a patch, in 2015. ;-)

9. Enkeixpress

… What the hell have they been doing all this time?? xD

I’m still waiting & I’m still going to buy it. :)

10. polygem

so they plan to finish the last 10 % before 2025 or not…?

11. Tallon 4

The last 10%…..wonder how long that’ll take

12. Gekidami

Maybe the last 10% is printing and shipping the discs. :D

I’m sure there’ll be a trailer and release date at E3, it’ll no doubt come out round Xmas time, being used as ammo for Sony’s holiday season lineup.

13. Erthazus

When this game will come out, everybody will going to buy it. :D

14. onlineatron

Everyone minus me

15. Erthazus

@14 Well, if you don’t like SIM Racing games…

16. JeRicHoOL

This will be the ideal present for my grandchildren…

17. ExclusivesMostly

It’ll be released soon after E3: think ps3 slim’s launch.

18. Erthazus

I think i know why they don’t released it. I remember Yamauchi said that the game was done and it is ready for a release date, after that he is saying that the game is not finished.

I think that Sony just don’t know how to market this thing. They really want to sell Gran Turismo 5 like hot cakes, but with 35 million install base it’s hard to do. You need to know how to do it.
    For example God Of War 3 sells and everybody predicted that hardware will sell because of God Of War 3. Didn’t happen.

So i think the only reason why Sony is not releasing this game, is because they don’t know how to market this game. They already wasted 60 million dollars on Gran Turismo 5 and they still need 40-50 million dollars to make a decent marketing campaign, not to mention that Microsoft is just trying to fuck Sony’s competition. Forza Motorsport as the Sim franchise is not that great and Microsoft know that and they are trying to overshadow Gran Turismo sales or atleast say to people: Look, Gran Turismo ? Fuck that, we have Forza, maybe it’s not the best racing game, but you guys DON’T HAVE FUCKING ALTERNATIVE! Buy it, peaches.

thats just it guys. I think this is the real reason and the game is done. I played GT5 at Gamescom and in my opinion it was done.

19. DGOJG

Jesus christ is this STILL not out yet? How long has this been development? Since the original Playstation 1 launched it feels like! If its taken this long then it better be damn good excuse this beyond ridiculous wait. I didnt even want the stupid game in the first place so I feel sorry for those still expecting this to be a PS3 title; looks more to be PS6 at this rate..

20. Bikki

My cousin who owns a PS3 says that he have been waiting far too long for this game and he is not going to buy it when it will launch. Didn’t they say that it is “10 %” left last year in november or something?

21. JeRicHoOL

Maybe they’ll go for a christmas release. That’s the “hottest” time for software sales and such. Christmas 2011 by the way.

22. OlderGamer

“@5 My enthusiasm for GT and any other sim racer has died now. I just feel that the mechanics haven’t evolved and it’s just not fun anymore imo.”

This is exactly how I have felt this generation. I loved racing games before this gen. Now, to me, they have lost their magic. To me almost all of them look and feel the same. And the so called “Sims” sytel racing(I mean common, when was the last time you drove a real car with a piece of handheld plastic with a thumb stick and 16 buttons?), are the lest appealing to me.

I will read the reviews of GT, I will play a demo if they make one, maybe I will rent it…and if the game passes all of that, I might, maybe buy it once it hits the bargin bins.

Video games should be fun to play, and to me, sim racers just feel hard to control.

23. Gekidami

“(I mean common, when was the last time you drove a real car with a piece of handheld plastic with a thumb stick and 16 buttons?)”

Thats why they’re meant to be played with driving wheels…

24. Erthazus

@22 hey, Sim racing games you must play with Driving wheels and accessories. Gran Turismo will have the same magic as previous Gran Turismo games and thats great.

25. Marmac

It’ll be worth the wait. Like always. :)

26. No_PUDding

Stop reporting on this maimed animal of a game. It will get to the watering hole one day, but it’s painful to watch it limp all the way there.

27. manamana

Here you go Fonysanboys!
    Last 10% are coming when Forza 4 is out – on the new box!
    Muahahaha!

28. manamana

Seriously. I’ll buy a PS3, if it comes out this year. Really.

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

If they DON’T announce an OFFICIAL release date by E3, they need someone new in charge over there. This has literally become a joke.

30. theevilaires

LMFAO! 90% done :D

31. Erthazus

@29 Really? How about Starcraft II that is in development for 12 years? Every Starcraft II fan waiting for the quality. How about Diablo 3? because i can’t even say on how much time this game is in development.

I can wait 2 years for GT5 and thats ok if they are going to polish it. There is no other Sim racing game that have 1000 high poly cars with realistic driving. Halt. For that you need a lot of work. A LOT.

32. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@31.

Yes, really.

The games been reported 90% complete for how many months (almost a year) now? Surely they can give the public some sort of ETA after nearly 6 years of developement!

With regards to your two PC game references, we’re talking about a console game here in developement for 6 years. As you know, that’s nearly the lifespan of some consoles (not current gen ofcourse, but surely you understand the point)

33. OlderGamer

I own a racing wheel, couple of them infact. Only games that work good with them are Race Pro and PGR3(XB360) and F1 champ ed(PS3). GTP is too touchy, just like forza. Ok for a bit but too unforgiving.

Some of you will laugh and say that is what it means to be a sim.

I say your wrong.

Racing games have changed from pick up and play easy to control racers to hard to drive gimmicks. Why? Because the idea is if the game focuses on making driving hard it thins out the online MP field. The game devs hype/sell it to you as “Real” “physics”. Nothing real about it. I think it is a gimmick plan and simple. Finding a racer today that is drivable without overtly arcade gameplay like guns, explosions, crashing opponents, or Karts is a rare.

Last gen we had Dirt to Daytona. A very realistic game in terms of on track racing. Yet it was very scalable in terms of driver assist/car stability. Anyone could sit down and give it a go and in a few laps can set up a draft in Nascar cups cars or race in a tight pack sideays on the dirt tracks w/o taking out the field. If you got better at handling the games controls, you could back off the driver assists.

I miss games like that. The closest thing to that this gen drivingwise is F1 champ ed.

Keep in mind your not driving real life physics. I know I raced real life for 14 years, no video game has ever come close wheel or not. What you are doing is learning to master a game engine. Your playing a video game, not driving a car. Nothing real about it, it is a PR/marketing gimmick.
    The problem is that racer sales are down. I believe in part because while some dedicated gamers can adapt to the racer, many would be racer fans demo/rent/ or hear word of mouth and find out that the game is too hard or takes too much time to learn/master.

Some people enjoy that aspect of racing. But to me, that is a driving sim(and thats a streatch like I said) If it was a racing sim, it would allow you to focus on the on track racing, and not fighting to keep your car on the track.

Need an example. Playing Soccer, football, basketball or any other sport…do you have to spend more time and focus making your char run or does the game simply assume he can run, and allow you to control the direction and focus on the game not the game mechanics. Just think about it. If I am playing as Brett Farve, the game assumes that Brett is a pro football player with said skill set needed. I can just play the game of football. The game engine bridges that gap.

Racers should do the samething, assume that the driver sitting in the car has had years of driving experience and allow you to focus on the actual race and not the fear that every corner your going to dump the car.

All of that I am sure is flame bate for some. But it just my two cents.

Very realistic.

34. Enkeixpress

GT5 is just one of the reasons on why I got my PS3 Slim 250GB.. I definately want it. :D

35. Gekidami

“Let me leave you with one thought. When the lead dev for GT5 showed off the game to reporters, he used the PS3 digital pad to control his car.

Very realistic.”

Because he was standing infront of a group of people, everytime its been actually playable at events its used a driving wheel.

I dont really understand what you’re trying to say in the last point, did a troll suddenly jump out and hijack your keyboard?

36. manamana

@Older: Daytona …

Gotta dust off my Saturn.

I see your point, but i think nowadays you can finetune your settings much better on your personal behalf. And cmon, Dirt was really unforgiving …

37. Cee

90.000000000000001% done now guys

38. Blerk

It’ll be interesting to see how the delay has affected the game when it finally does release. Has enthusiasm continued to build, or have people basically given up on it and lost interest?

39. OlderGamer

While I love Daytona USA on Saturn as well. I was talking about a NA release for PS2/GC called “Dirt to Daytona”. I believe it was subtittled Nascar Heat 2. It allowed you to race in a carrer mode that spanned from Dirt Stock Cars through Black Top Modifieds, Nascar Trucks and ended with Nascar cup cars. IMO, best racer ever made next to Speed Devils Online (Dreamcast) in terms of balance controls, fun, and multiplayer.

The ironic part is that the best race in a video game I have ever had was in GT. The first game on PSx. My friend and I raced head to head and finished in a dead tie. Was a lot of fan. We used to play that one all of the time. But over the years the game because harder and harder to control, and lost that ability to just sit down and enjoy.

I am encouaged that many racers today do offer scalable driver assists. But all to often that comes at the cost of speed in an online match or the options are turned off and removed from MP altogether.

And sorry Gek, not trolling, but sometimes I ramble onward. I take some pain meds here and there and it catches up with me from time to time. Mostly the rambling is harmless. Trolls don’t intend to be harmless. I never intend to be anything but.