UK game sales hit four year low

Sunday, 2nd May 2010 16:02 GMT By Joe Anderson

charttrack

GfK Chart-Track has said that UK game sales hit a four year low last week, pinning the blame firmly on the lack of new releases.

Digital Spy quotes statistics from the company, saying the games trade saw a 24 percent drop last week, with unit sales down 21 percent to 652,382 games sold.

Chris Poole, senior accountant at Chart-Track, told the site, “Essentially it comes down to what is being released, Easter was relatively quiet, really, and many people will be holding back for the big titles to come. I also imagine it is a combination of things, such as the weather.

“We’re also coming down from the big highs of Modern Warfare 2< and the like, it is understandable the market would hit an eventual low.

“But aside from that, there are no big indicators for the reason behind the fall. Week 16 last year was a lot higher, and there were no major releases that week either.”

This month should help the industry pick up, with big releases such as Alan Wake, Split/Second, Blur and Modnation Racers all set to hit the shelves.

1. Yoshi

Lack of new releases? We got sequels flying all over the place

2. Enkeixpress

… I live in the UK & I’m not interested in Alan Wake, Split/Second, Blur at all..

I’m sure most like me feel the same also.. Those games aren’t anything special, that’s why

I’m kinda interested in ModNations Racers though but most likely won’t get it because of the price.. I want Gran Turismo 5, Red Dead Redemption, Mod & Crysis 2 mostly.. That is all.

3. Marx n Engels

…I live in the UK & I’m most certain;y interesting Alan Wake.

I’m sure that most like me feel the same also.. It is one of the most highly anticipated games of the year.

That is all.

4. Enkeixpress

… Alan Wake isn’t anything special.

It is a rental at best.

5. daytripper

@4 have you played it?

6. Enkeixpress

Yes, I have.. Like I said, It’s not anything special.

7. daytripper

i’d rather play it myself to see if its not anything special but respect to you for playing the game early.

8. Marx n Engels

But at least we can all agree, through their absense, that Blur and Split/Second aren’t anything special by any stretch of the imagination.

If I want to shoot cars in another car I think I’ll stick to WipeOut 2097.

9. daytripper

no i really enjoyed both split second and blur demos and will be getting both

10. Enkeixpress

Well if you can afford ‘em then I don’t see why you shouldn’t dude.. :D

As for my opinion.. Blur is definately a worthy purchase.. Split Second.. ahh, not so much.. mainly because it’s to do with Disney & let’s face it.. they don’t make many games that have that “umph” or are anticipated.

Plus, for me.. Split-Second just looks so lacklastre.. nothing more than a rental, if you will.

11. daytripper

yeah Blur’s online elements are worth the buy alone :D, have had so much fun with friends on the beta. i like split/seconds visual style more, the explosions and potential fun online plus I’m a big fan of Blackrock studios and my local studio Bizarre Creations.

12. Bringit

Hi Joe,

Not your fault because Digital Spy failed to quote a source, but this is an MCV story.

13. Dannybuoy

I’ve not bought a game for a good while. God of War 3 was the last one. Since then I’ve really lost most interest in games, nothing on the horizon that remotely stimulates me. Maybe other folks feel the same. Also it’s been nice weather. I’ve been out gardening of an evening or weekend so my spare time hasn’t been for gaming. Gardening rulles!! ;-)