Bungie may discuss possibility on developing other Acti titles

Friday, 30th April 2010 11:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

modernwarfare2152

Bungie doing a future Modern Warfare title? Don’t quite rule it out just yet.

Bungie’s Brian Jarrard has told UGO that it’s open to discussions on the off-chance that it may develop titles for other Activision IP, but insists the studio’s announced partnership with the firm yesterday over its new IP is the main focus.

“It’s a discussion that might come up,” the developer’s community boss told the site, “but they partnered with us specifically based on the vision that we have, and the universe and games that we want to bring to the world in the next decade.

“Who’s to know if there are other discussions where we have chances to work together in other areas, but that wasn’t one of the core talking points in making this deal.”

Analyst Arvind Bhatia has already said Bungie would be a “very good fit” to replace Infinity Ward as a potential developer of future Modern Warfare titles.

Multiplayer would be off the shizzle, innit.

1. Gheritt White

Nooooo!!! Bungie have always worked on IP they’ve created themselves – I hope they don’t turn into just another jobbing third-party developer!

2. Eon

Right, I was fine with the whole publishing deal and Bungie remaining independent but this is getting dangerously close to crossing the line..
    I don’t get it, Bungie are fully aware of the poor reputation Acti have had in recent years and they are probably the most hated publisher atm. Bungie are one of the best developers in the world when it comes to supporting their fans and taking an interest in them, this pretty much goes against what Acti do.. Why would they consider doing this?!?!? Very strange if you ask me.

3. Benjo1981

We’re talking a lot of ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ here. It could just be Bungie smoozing up to a new business partner. I’d hope so anyway, I don’t want to see Bungie making COD games.

4. Erthazus

@2 It’s a profit deal. Activision Bungie is absolutely perfect.

Bungie sell map packs in live.

Activision likes to sell map packs.

Bungie like to create series of games (Example: Halo)

Activision like to sell series of games ( Example: Guitar Hero, Call Of Duty)

Activision will promote this shit as much as they can with millions of dollars and fans going to be happy. Thats it.

Bungie is absolutely independent and they can do with the game what they want.

5. The Hindle

Bungie Guitar Hero or Bungie Tony Hawk ride 2 :D

6. Erthazus

@5 Noo, It’s Bungie’s Guitar Hero Tony Hawk Ride 1,2,3,4,5,6… :D

7. YoungZer0

Oh god, no …

8. Blerk

Guitar Halo, surely? :-)

9. OlderGamer

“Bungie like to create series of games (Example: Halo)”

Not wanting to be a slave to the same franchise is one of the reasons Bungie wanted its independance from MS. I doubt they would be interested in making a game a year franchise for Acti.

10. DeSpiritusBellum

Hate to say I told ya s… I TOLD YA SO!

11. Erthazus

@9 But Bungie still made Halo 1,2,3, ODST and REACH and Halo fanboy developers from Bungie now works at 343 industries that will create future Halo titles for Microsoft.

It’s the same thing over and over again.

12. OlderGamer

CoD: Future Conflict: The War of 2451

I doubt it, but ya never know.

My guess is the new IP with either be MMO FPS(think mag) or a story driven 3PS(think UC).

@11 And that is exactly why they sought to be an independant studio. And watch how you use the word fanboy. Game devs, making their own games as being fanboys? Hate Halo much?

13. Benjo1981

I’d say that’s exactly what Bungie have signed here: a deal to make games based on the same franchise for the next ten years.

14. OlderGamer

Thats the bit of irony that strikes me too Benjo1981.

Out of the frying pan into the oven.

15. Erthazus

@12 I mean developers that LIKE to create it’s own creation.
    I don’t hate Halo franchise, i don’t like how Bungie makes it and after heavy marketing campaign it recieves god damn huge mag scores and sales that game don’t deserve. Thats just my opinion.

Yeah, and Bungie signed 10 years just to do a different stuff with Activision. They could do it with EA or other publisher that have more respect or freedom, but they choosed Activision.
    The reason why they did it, it’s because this is the best 3rd Party publisher that can milk a certain of series with heavy marketing. Acti will market the shit out of Bungie product (I hope it’s going to live up to the massive hype)
    Bungie is probably like Insomniac games now and they can release IP every year making 2 games for 2 years.
    Bungie now making Halo:Reach and other team makes a new Activision game.

16. Benjo1981

I doubt Bungie will make a game a year. Yes, they did ODST in 2009 and they’ll have Reach this year, but that was an exception in order to (so I’m told) fulfil a contractual obligation to MS.

I see them as one every two years, with maybe another Acti studio possibly making another entry in the franchise inbetween times.

So basically, the IW model, but Bungie remain independent and own the IP. West and co must be green..

17. Benjo1981

It is a bit of a strange move. But then again, the carefully worded press release only makes mention of this Acti deal ranging over this one IP. As an independent studio, that leaves Bungie free to pursue other projects.

Hell, in theory, if this new IP were to crash and burn, they could go running back to MS and Halo if they wanted.

18. loki