Cecil: Heavy Rain was “deeply flawed”

Tuesday, 27th April 2010 11:51 GMT By Patrick Garratt

heavyrain11

Revolution’s Charles Cecil has told MCV he found Quantic opus Heavy Rain to be shy of “absolute genius”.

“Half way through I thought it was a work of absolute genius,” said the Broken Sword mastermind.

“When I finished it, I still thought it was a work of genius but deeply flawed. There’s a lot of questions it asks, and I think some of those are answered really well, and others are flawed.

“But I really admire David Cage, his team and the work they have done. I think it’s good for the adventure game, I think it’s good for the industry overall.”

What’s the flawed bit? Cecil was “cagey” in his response. We should be on TV.

“Without spoiling anything, you discover something at the end that’s incredibly important about one of the characters you’ve been playing, which creates an incredible disconnect between the audience and the character – and I think that is deeply, deeply flawed,” he said.

We’ve heard Charles Cecil say “cock” to a lady in a private room. Trufax. Hit the link for more. Thanks, TLG.

1. mington

spoilers removed.

um i can’t say much other then read this

still, awesome game, everyone needs to play it

2. Syrok

How about you simply don’t put any spoilers in your post mington?

3. mington

did you know, in biblical times people were stoned to death for spoilers

shocking but true

4. Harry

I agree. It was a very very good game. But the twist seemed a huge twist for the sake of it – it really didn’t feel like it fitted into the rest of the story at all. Seemed actually a betrayal of the player.

5. Bulk Slash

That’s a very interesting take on the erm… “revelation” at the end. I must admit it did really surprise me and I was also quite sad because I really liked that character. In fact prior to the revelation I would have liked to see that character in a sequel/spin-off. Which I think means Cage did a great job of making the player bond with the characters.

As for whether it’s a deep flaw in the game, I’m not sure I agree. I think it creates a very interesting dynamic and also makes some of the decisions at the end of the game much harder to make. Roll on a sequel I say! :)

6. dirigiblebill

“But the twist seemed a huge twist for the sake of it – it really didn’t feel like it fitted into the rest of the story at all.”

It’s a symptom of the kind of film Heavy Rain modelled itself on, really.

7. cookiejar

I loved the game, and really do want more. Well ok, more of Madison’s behind.

I know they don’t want to make a sequel, but I hope at least they chuck out some decent DLC.

8. mington

I’d love another game in the style of Heavy Rain, but next time i want it to be really sureal.

Someone the other day wrote a comment in an article about ‘The quality games matching Movies’ games would never match the likes of blue velvet…

Blue Velvet the game, that would so work!! who do i pitch it to? :)

9. Boris Fett

@1 Hey look, it’s Jim Sterling, the industry’s biggest hack!

10. xino

no Origami killer has two personalities.
    You get to play the personality that feels that he isn’t the killer, trying to get all evidence he sent out and to destroy them.

11. YoungZer0

Erm, xino, i think you need to learn how to properly stfu.