350,000 played Madden 10 online once only

Tuesday, 27th April 2010 08:54 GMT By Patrick Garratt

madden112

Something’s probably wrong in the world of online Madden play if this is anything to go by.

Around 350,000 people played Madden NFL 10 online once only, series creative director Ian Cummings has told Kotaku.

That’s bad. EA’s yet to announce multiplay details for this summer’s Madden 11, but getting that number down will surely be a priority.

Maybe sticking Drew Brees on the cover will help. Maybe the demo will help. Maybe this is indicative of a fundamental disconnect between the “mass” consumer and current online console offerings. Maybe not.

Madden NFL 11 will be available August 10 on Xbox 360, PS2, PS3, Wii, and PSP as well as iPod, iPhone and other feature phones.

1. Blerk

I’d be interested to see what the statistics are for people who played it online less than five or ten times. I bet they’d be absolutely massive.

2. mojo

For me personaly it goes:
    Something’s probably wrong in the world of Madden.

The game sucks balls, its just so boring.
    I mean u barely do anything in the game.
    Play one match, uve seen the whole game imo..

3. OlderGamer

The trouble with Madden Online is that some players are godly at the game. And the rest of us average players can not hold our own. Some times these players “chesse” but many times they are just better players.

I have that same problem in NCAA Football. For the life of me I can not even win half of my games in my online leagues. And I have been playing video game football from day one.

I think that is the biggest barrier to people enjoying Madden Online. Play once, twice, maybe three times, get killed in all games … not something most people are going to enjoy. And lets face it, the game plays pretty much the same way offline, ‘cept it is easier to win and enjoy.

4. Goliath

@ OlderGamer

I agree. The biggest problem with sport titles is matchmaking; matching gamers with others of similar skill. I’m adept at Madden but some gamers online have invested much more time than I have and it’s never a fair contest. I have the same problem with Fifa 10 as well. Sport titles like Fifa and Madden can be played by a competent gamer but there is so much detail in the controls and gameplay that someone investing more time in learning has a huge advantage over someone who only plays casually.

5. MushroomStamp

Yeah online sucks.. #1 People quit when they are losing. #2 The game speed and accuracy of passing is craptastic compared to local play.

6. Uncontested

I fall into the 2-5 times crowd.

To many losers who know every single play before even looking at it, I prefer to play offline against the computer and actually have a chance of winning.

That or I play my friends who come over, that way theres no lag and its actually fun.