Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead gets June release

Saturday, 24th April 2010 23:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

arma2

Bohemia Interactive has announced a release date for Operation Arrowhead, the next expansion for Arma 2.

Out on June 29, Operation Arrowhead takes place in Takistan three years after the events of the core game.

As well as a new locale, players will also be battling it out in both urban and mountainous regions, and can use new types drones for air strikes.

Forward-Looking Infrared technology can also be used for nighttime battles, a updated target system has been implemented, and detachable backpacks can carry more weapons and ammunition.

Sounds lurvly.

Thanks, PC Games.

1. Erthazus

Can’t wait. and most important stuff, patches are included…

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO…

2. DeSpiritusBellum

It’ll be a long time before I buy another Bohemia game.

I like playing with soldiers as much as the next guy, but this is the second game they’ve released that’s been completely broken, and rather than fixing it free of charge, as they should, they make you pay for the patch and just wrap it in a few addons and another equally broken campaign (if ArmA is anything to go by) and call it an expansion pack.

*EDIT*

And then, usually, about 1½ years later, the community fixes that patch properly themselves. It’s just a sham.

3. Erthazus

@2 bullshit. Thats just an addon with patches. It’s a big addon and game is not broken. It’s absolutely awesome. After few patches it’s working like a clock.

4. YoungZer0

Erthazus is completely right. The game worked like a charm after the second patch.

5. DeSpiritusBellum

@3,4 Nobody uses the standard addons guys, and if your game requires two patches after launch to work, that’s still a game that shouldn’t have been released when it was.

I’m fine with Bohemia making an editor you can play around with, but why try to pass it off as a game? I bought all the Flashpoint games, Armed Assault and Queens Gambit, and the only thing that changed since Resistance was essentially that Armed Assault and Queens Gambits campaigns were both broken beyond playing.

Fair enough if ArmA II has been properly fixed this time around, but ArmA didn’t start feeling like a whole game until the community patch just before the release of ArmA II.

That’s why I’m not jumping on the bandwagon this time. My brother actually bought it and he says he was unable to play the campaign because the missions were too broken (helicopters crashing on the way to the LZ etc.) which sounds identical to when ArmA and Queens Gambit launched.

Then there’s the awful graphics, the ridiculous AI, the unrealistic weapons and the way the AI fires them. It’s all just flat wrong. I’m just not gonna pay for it again and end up going “What the hell was I thinking?”

I appreciate what they’re trying to do, but Bohemia are just way in over their heads.

6. YoungZer0

I remember that Operation Flashpoint was also buggy as hell when it was released. This is just how Bohemia does their business. Which is exactly why i waited a few months before i bought any of their titles.

How are the graphics awful? Patch the game and the AI is fixed. How are the weapons unrealistic? How are the AI firing them? I thought you didn’t play ArmA 2?

Let me tell you that i completely hated ArmA 1. I fucking hated it. Even with all the patches and the community patches it still felt like a shitty game, but damn, I must say that ArmA 2 is by far their best game.

Give it a try, rent it. You’re missing out.

By the way Arrowhead is standalone.

7. DeSpiritusBellum

@6 The AI really isn’t fixed, though. Granted I haven’t played this version of the game personally, but I have been keeping up with it. Like you say, you don’t buy a Bohemia game until you’re sure it’s far enough along, so I do know how far along it is.

Fact is the AI are still unable to perform the most basic, tactical infantry maneuvers. You can patch up the way they lay down fire by tooling the configs to simulate aiming and controlled bursts, but it doesn’t change the fact that they’re about as responsive in a firefight or on patrol, as a lobotomized 2 year old. And why should you be the one to tool those configs in the first place? What is Bohemia doing?

You’re paying them, not the other way around.

I can make a yard long post about everything that’s wrong with ArmA, but the fact is that people still on the bandwagon care less about the obvious flaws than they do about the ambition behind it. The AI sucks, but it tries not to etc. and fair enough. You can get enjoyment out of it.

My problem is that Bohemia are demanding an AAA price for what’s barely a C+ game, and they don’t even think to lower it once their newest addition predictably gets slammed by every critic outside of the Czech Republic.

Maybe I shouldn’t get stuck on a label, but when you name something a military simulator, I expect to see a bit of military simulation. Thus far it hasn’t gotten close, and as long as it’s like that, I just know I’m gonna regret paying more than 15 euro for it.

8. Erthazus

@5 Operation flashpoint at the beggining was a big bug. With ArmA 2 you could actually play.

And after few addons Flashpoint fixed. Here, after two patches it works like a clock.

9. DeSpiritusBellum

@8 Well, you’re lucky if that’s your experience. Having spent a lot of time with ArmAs AI (Yes yes, even though ArmA IIs is completely reworked) I know how erratically it can act.

Apparently they didn’t script one of the missions hard enough, because like I said, my brother was unable to continue his campaign due to a helicopter either crashing or veering off course. The infantry AI is awful, but the vehicle AI is by far the worst.

I played Flashpoint since the beta and I don’t remember missions breaking. But who knows, I might be remembering that wrong. On the Bohemia forums it’s not hard to find guys who miss the Flashpoint days though.